PDA

View Full Version : Light On A Stakeout?

DogDoc
02-01-2018, 07:20 PM
Anybody running a light on their Stakeout/Tac-14?

I have one of these (https://suarezinternational.com/surefire-shotgun-forend-tac14-rem870/) But it seems like it might be heavy enough to throw off the balance and may not even mount with the +1 mag extension. I bought it intending to put it on my full-size 870 but ordered an Amphibian/Alaskan today as well as a Tac-14 in a Pointman configuration and started wondering about lighting one of them.

What are you guys using if anything?

Gabriel Suarez
02-01-2018, 07:26 PM
On a Pointman, a weapon with a defacto stock...The Surefire makes sense. On a stake out In would not add a light. The applications of both weapons are slightly different.

Brent Yamamoto
02-02-2018, 06:45 AM
If someone comes out with a very small, thin light that attaches directly to the foreend (with no rail or adapter in the way), then I will consider a light. Otherwise they are too bulky for this tool.

The Mission First Tactical Torch isn't the answer, but something that size with a few more lumens would do. I'm not holding my breath that anyone will come out with exactly what I'd want.

Most circumstances I envision using the Stakeout don't need a light. Of course you never know what your fight will be, so a very small light that doesn't negatively affect handling would be nice. But no product that exists today fits the bill.

Greg Nichols
02-02-2018, 06:59 AM
If you're really stuck on having one I'd probably go with the Inforce light due to it's profile and functionality.

DogDoc
02-02-2018, 08:49 AM
I think you guys are right. The Stakeout is probably the perfect example of a weapon you could really screw up by hanging a lot of crap on it. Maybe I'll put one on the Pointman. Maybe I'll just put it on the full-size 870 as originally planned. After all, one can choose what to grab if it's dark.

Thanks for the input.

LawDog
02-02-2018, 10:41 AM
Here is a product that needs to exist: A flashlight that mounts in-line with the magazine tube--probably replacing the mag tube cap/extension. A "normal" flashlight, like the 6P, is roughly the same diameter as a mag tube and would blend right in. It should be short, so a one-battery light would be optimal. I'm not sure what the best method of activation would be. With an auto, a tape switch would be easy. For a pump, though, I'm not sure I would want a curly-Q cord leading back to a tape switch. I might rather just lose contact with the switch during the stroke of the pump. If you could create this light, and displace no more than one round from the mag tube, that would be a worthy product.

Ansbach
02-02-2018, 11:07 AM
Here is a product that needs to exist: A flashlight that mounts in-line with the magazine tube--probably replacing the mag tube cap/extension. A "normal" flashlight, like the 6P, is roughly the same diameter as a mag tube and would blend right in. It should be short, so a one-battery light would be optimal. I'm not sure what the best method of activation would be. With an auto, a tape switch would be easy. For a pump, though, I'm not sure I would want a curly-Q cord leading back to a tape switch. I might rather just lose contact with the switch during the stroke of the pump. If you could create this light, and displace no more than one round from the mag tube, that would be a worthy product.

Steiner sells a light that mounts like this, but is 3.5" long and the only way to activate it is a button on the bottom. I'm not convinced it would work well with a short barrel weapon though.

Brent Yamamoto
02-02-2018, 11:10 AM
Personally I'd love to see wireless tech developed for long gun weapon lights. I hate wires, bad enough on a rifle but especially terrible on a pump gun. But that's pretty niche and I don't see it happening.

The mag cap flashlight is clean from a design perspective. Very slick...but I'd still prefer something very, very trip on the forearm. I like shotguns as short as possible...legalities dictate the length of barrel, and I want to maximize the # of rounds given the barrel length. Giving up one round might not be bad but if we have a great forearm solution there's nothing to give up.

Most of the things I want are pretty niche.

emtdaddy1980
02-02-2018, 11:57 AM
Here is a product that needs to exist: A flashlight that mounts in-line with the magazine tube--probably replacing the mag tube cap/extension. A "normal" flashlight, like the 6P, is roughly the same diameter as a mag tube and would blend right in. It should be short, so a one-battery light would be optimal. I'm not sure what the best method of activation would be. With an auto, a tape switch would be easy. For a pump, though, I'm not sure I would want a curly-Q cord leading back to a tape switch. I might rather just lose contact with the switch during the stroke of the pump. If you could create this light, and displace no more than one round from the mag tube, that would be a worthy product.I was envisioning almost the exact same thing before seeing your post.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

LawDog
02-02-2018, 12:06 PM
I'd still prefer something very, very trip on the forearm. I like shotguns as short as possible...legalities dictate the length of barrel, and I want to maximize the # of rounds given the barrel length. Another possibility: two tiny lights that clamp together on both sides of the barrel and mag tube. Size of the light becomes a limiting factor, as well as size of the battery. While some would scoff, I would be happy with a 60 lumen light that only ran for 20 minutes. Clearly, that's not a duty weapon for LE. But for most people investigating bumps in the night, that would suffice.

Brent Yamamoto
02-02-2018, 01:08 PM
Another possibility: two tiny lights that clamp together on both sides of the barrel and mag tube. Size of the light becomes a limiting factor, as well as size of the battery. While some would scoff, I would be happy with a 60 lumen light that only ran for 20 minutes. Clearly, that's not a duty weapon for LE. But for most people investigating bumps in the night, that would suffice.

Agree 100%. I've considered that very thing.

I have one of those Mission First lights on my SBR'd AR. It's not a "weapon light"...I'd consider it an admin light. But it is VERY light and does provide a few useful lumens when it's really dark. On that AR it takes up no space and the weight just isn't a consideration. But the AR has a rail already...you'd have to add a rail piece to the 870 forearm, effectively making it much bigger. And the way the button works...it's not as responsive as a true weapon light. Right now the product is lacking but if they continue to develop it, they might have something we could use.

Ted Demosthenes
02-02-2018, 01:24 PM
Kind of like Lawdog proposed, a smaller low-profile light module that clamped to the mag cap might be a solution. The battery(s) could be on one side, light(s) on the other, switch on either/both. With a short SG, reaching the switch isn't too difficult.

LawDog
02-02-2018, 01:46 PM
The battery(s) could be on one side, light(s) on the other, switch on either/both.That works. If both were the size of a AA battery, that would be pretty tight. And you could just flip it over for left-handed activation.

Who here plays with electronics? Somebody should fabricate a prototype.

Dorkface
02-02-2018, 02:00 PM
Something small like the led maglites that go on a key chain would almost be perfect. They are about 50 lumens and run for a couple hours on a single AAA battery. The couple of problems are they aren't activated via the tail cap and/or their isn't a remote pressure switch for them. There is one for the regular mini maglite but its made by Tac Star so the durability is very questionable. The technology exists except no one is thinking of it in this capacity along the same line of how all the handheld tactical lights are all headed toward a million lumens. Even something small with a slightly higher lumen out put is easily possible. Making something like this isn't in my skill set though sadly.

Papa
02-02-2018, 03:14 PM
Mod warning: delete this if inappropriate.

Both Steiner and BSA make mag tube cap lights. Steiner uses what looks like a pushbutton, BSA a turning bezel.

LawDog
02-12-2018, 05:35 PM
I have a contender for the World's Worst Photoshop project. This is the modern equivalent of cutting out magazine pictures and gluing them together. Perhaps the more artistically-inclined among us will decide to create a non-hideous version of this. But it conveys my design idea, despite its vulgarity.

Take a semi-auto 12 gauge (I used a Beretta 1301 for this image) with an 18" barrel and transform it into a bullpup. My idea began with a pump, but I'm uncertain whether there is enough room up front to operate a pump. A gun that feeds and ejects from the bottom has the advantage of being ambidextrous. Use a little bit of M-Lok up front, to affix a VFG and a light. Ideally, you want to be able to keep the light at the 6:00, so that you don't increase the girth of the gun. It should have iron sights and the ability to mount an RDS. The LOP needs some adjustability, but not necessarily a telescoping stock. Something like stackable spacers is probably better. And some people will feel compelled to wrap a giant rubber cushion to the back of it, because of the clavicle-fracturing recoil of the mighty 12 gauge.

Forgive the A-10 level ugliness for a moment and consider the idea. A roughly 28" overall 12 gauge shotgun with a 7-rd mag tube, pistol grip, forward vertical pistol grip (optional), and the ability to mount a pistol light just forward of the VFG. It's short, lightweight, and checks all of the boxes. It just doesn't exist.

EDELWEISS
02-12-2018, 05:53 PM
Take a semi-auto 12 gauge (I used a Beretta 1301 for this image) with an 18" barrel and transform it into a bullpup. .

I had a chance to handle the TAVOR (or whatever its called) BullPup shotgun at the Eastern Outdoor show (Shot Show Lite), last week. It wasn't horrible. The THREE rotating mag tubes allow two tubes to be loaded while one tube is in "battery". They can be rotated between shots, so presumably it should be easy to switch from shot to slugs with just a twist.

I think it could meet most of your wants. It wasn't too heavy but it was far from lightweight. For me the issue was the price MSRP was $1300+

Mike Heckathorn
02-12-2018, 06:03 PM
I had a chance to handle the TAVOR (or whatever its called) BullPup shotgun at the Eastern Outdoor show (Shot Show Lite), last week. It wasn't horrible. The THREE rotating mag tubes allow two tubes to be loaded while one tube is in "battery". They can be rotated between shots, so presumably it should be easy to switch from shot to slugs with just a twist.

I think it could meet most of your wants. It wasn't too heavy but it was far from lightweight. For me the issue was the price MSRP was $1300+

Just looking at it (and itís manual of arms) all I could think was:If it was $800 MSRP, it would rule. The competition is just too stiff in its price bracket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walk-Softly
02-12-2018, 06:09 PM
I placed one the coin battery MFT lights on the forend of my Tac 14. My rationale was to have a navigation type light with limited lumens. It also seems to fit with some use of small LEDS as illuminating details for a breach. I was looking to maintain some limited light for unlikely use cases but not be an unbalanced snag hazard.

the problem is I couldn’t find a low profile way to mount the MFT. I took a Picatinny to MLOK rail on the Magpul handguard and have the MFT mounted to the Pic rail. It sticks out most of an inch but weighs almost nothing. Still some snag hazard, such as riding shotgun in a vehicle.

The juice isn’t worth the squeeze at this point. A direct MLOK MFT light would be much better or, as Gabe suggested, the ergonomics/balance is better with a braced firearm with a real weapon light.