PDA

View Full Version : RMR amber dot for PDW

canonsix
01-25-2018, 06:41 PM
I am going to be building a new PDW,and need some guidance. The last one I had I used a RMR with green dot.The only problem I had was upon going from a dark room to the light it wanted to wash out.Does the amber have the same problem??? Thanks, Doug

Brightlightman
01-25-2018, 07:23 PM
I went with a red battery powered adjustable on mine. Tested out an amber dual illuminated and when using my pistol mounted light, the dot would wash out. My amber dot (well, triangle) now resides in my Stakeout.

Gabriel Suarez
01-25-2018, 07:30 PM
That is why we use back up irons. Read the article. There are advantages to each.

Brent Yamamoto
01-25-2018, 11:32 PM
All around, I prefer the red dots on a PDW. The dual illum models (both dot and triangles) wash out in some circumstances. But as Gabe said thats why we have irons.

Also, though I like the amber dots a lot for either pistol or shotgun, I think a smaller dot makes sense on a PDW.

I do have a PDW with an amber triangle. I like the triangle for longer shots in the outdoors; the apex makes for a precise aiming point. I have mild astigmatism and the triangle isn't affected by it. It washes out worse than the amber dot

The only RMR I haven't worked with yet are the green models so I can't comment on them. Otherwise they are all good, with different strengths. For the PDW application my first choice would be a 3.25 or perhaps even 1moa red dot.

canonsix
01-27-2018, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the info,guys.I may just go back to green,my astigmatiism is way more than mild.Doug

bassbones
01-31-2018, 05:09 AM
I’m thinking of switching to the green triangle myself.

JB

Johnny C!
01-31-2018, 05:19 AM
The green triangle shows up better than
anything in amber for me.

If you are in a condition of the reticle
washing out, the irons still work
pretty well, even if they are blurry.

The PDW is the stuff.

John

EDELWEISS
01-31-2018, 05:30 AM
Ive used both battery and dual illum models on rifles and pistols. Gabe is correct their are pros and cons to each. Yes the dual models do wash out but only when you are in a dark room and target something in a bright light. How often does that happen? Youll have to decide for your own circumstances. I mounted a green triangle on a double rifle for a lion hunt. My thought was the point was a precise aiming point with the larger "body" of the triangle for close encounters; and that the green would stand out against a brown terrain.

I also have a small dot (battery) mounted on a G35 with a 357SIG barrel. Two hundred yard shots are easy with that set up.

Youll also have to decide what you expect from a PDW--the term has been tossed about for 30 years with no hard definition. A smaller dot will give more precise targeting IF your vision can benefit from the battery version of the dot. Conversely the dual dot or triangle has less "bleed" and is sharper (to my eyes).

I tend to like the dual illum versions better BUT thats only because they work for MY needs. Try to find options you can test for yourself.

ALSO iron sights are a must. I really like fixed sights that cowitness with your dot.