PDA

View Full Version : The weakest link on the Endo brace....

apamburn
12-26-2017, 12:15 PM
The attachment pin.

Twice now the chain has opened up and the pin has come off of the chain while the kit is stored.

The pin is the weak link: a pain to insert, prone to swinging around on the chain, etc....

How could we improve this?

In my opinion what should exist in the pin hole on the Endo is a spring loaded pin, like what is used for shade tent poles. Insert Endo nub, press pin in to compress and continue inserting endo, and pin pops into hole on Glock securing the adapter.

This could be sold as an upgrade to install yourself, or installed as part of the PDW package.

Gabriel Suarez
12-26-2017, 12:59 PM
Take a hex screw big enough and use that instead. Endo is not my product and I have no control over their manufacturing. If one sends their frame to be made into a PDW perhaps we can use a hex screw rather than the pin, but that makes for a semi-perm installation.

callmebubba
12-26-2017, 01:04 PM
Thin braided cable and a compression fitting to make it a ring.

I like the idea of the hex screw though. I really need to find another frame so I can make one a dedicated PDW.

apamburn
12-26-2017, 01:30 PM
Take a hex screw big enough and use that instead. Endo is not my product and I have no control over their manufacturing. If one sends their frame to be made into a PDW perhaps we can use a hex screw rather than the pin, but that makes for a semi-perm installation.

Excellent idea.

A re-reading of my post sounds a little like I'm pointing the finger at SI; that wasn't my intention.

Offering the hex screw might be a good idea for those wanting something more permanent and secure.

I was thinking of something like this:

The pin hole on the flat face of the Endo nub would be drilled out to accept the pogo pin.

Johnny C!
12-26-2017, 05:14 PM
apamburn,
You said the chain broke, but that the pin
had failed?

So the chain is the point of failure?

I replaced my chain with a piece of 550
cord.

And I don't care how hard it is to put
the pin in, just that it won't come out
while the PDW is assembled.

The heal of my hand rests on it, so I
don't think mine is going to fall out,
and it's pretty snug when in place
also.

John

apamburn
12-26-2017, 05:27 PM
No, the pin didn't fail in that it doesn't fall out when inserted.

I pulled the PDW kit out of it's bag and went to attach to my Glock and found that there was no pin.

The chain and pin were in the bottom of it's bag.

I could replace the chain with 550 cord, that's definitely true.

And one in the pin doesn't work it's way out (in my experience).

But it is still a less than ideal method of retaining the adapter.

I think a built in, integral pin would be superior for applications where the endo is meant to be removed, and something like what Gabe suggested would be far superior for permanent attachment.

Johnny C!
12-26-2017, 06:30 PM
Understood.

My solution has been to dedicate a 17
to my PDW kit and just work with the
design as it stands.

I think a built in, integral pin would be superior for applications where the endo is meant to be removed, and something like what Gabe suggested would be far superior for permanent attachment.

JD Lester
12-27-2017, 04:46 PM
My 17 PDW is dual role in that it is my Nightfighter PDW as well as my smallest collapsible for carriage PDW.
I have never had any issues with the pin or the chain and have used and carried this blaster quite a bit.
It is set up for in your face, in a structure, and out into an open area fighting.
I was planning to opt for some type 2 nylon cord gutted to retain the pin yet just haven't fount the need to replace the chain as of yet.

v/r

JD

ShopMonkey
12-28-2017, 07:43 AM
The attachment pin.

In my opinion what should exist in the pin hole on the Endo is a spring loaded pin, like what is used for shade tent poles. Insert Endo nub, press pin in to compress and continue inserting endo, and pin pops into hole on Glock securing the adapter.

I understand what you are referring to. No stop and thnik about it for a second. the endo fits in the, for lack of better term, butt hole. This is gonna get bad , but I'm making a point here. It fills it entirely, and there is no room left for the pin to go further because where the endo ends, the frame begins. at no point is there enough room to allow for the pop-up detent to actuate. Second, lets say, for arguments sake that there was enough room to allow this, you push it in, it pops up, and is unable to back out. You with to remove your frame form the endo - how? You can't do anything to push the button back in to pull it out, the endo is blocking the hole. If you are really having this much of an issue, Gabe has given the best advice and i would agree, use a set screw. If the chain is an issue, replace it. We are an intelligent, and evolving race, figure out what works for you, and do it.