PDA

View Full Version : Internal Affairs vs Gang Unit vs Grab 'n Stab

Texican_gal
12-19-2017, 02:08 PM
Hello WT, I'd like to get opinions from people who have handled these blades. I'm leaning towards the Internal Affairs or Gang Unit as an EDC neck knife.

I like the choil, that's why I really don't think the Grab 'n Stab is for me. Points to consider: I'm a gal, heh-heh. Seriously, am not weak, but am not as strong as I was, though have no trouble racking a pistol or the Stakeout, for instance. So, for a woman with less grip strength than a man, what are y'all's thoughts?

If you could get only one, what would you suggest?

Greg Nichols
12-19-2017, 02:14 PM
Hello WT, I'd like to get opinions from people who have handled these blades. I'm leaning towards the Internal Affairs or Gang Unit as an EDC neck knife.

I like the choil, that's why I really don't think the Grab 'n Stab is for me. Points to consider: I'm a gal, heh-heh. Seriously, am not weak, but am not as strong as I was, though have no trouble racking a pistol or the Stakeout, for instance. So, for a woman with less grip strength than a man, what are y'all's thoughts?

If you could get only one, what would you suggest?

If you're stuck with a neck knife I would totally forget the GnS, it's just too large even with (to be delicate) pronounced pectoral region it's more of a weight issue. The GU is my go to fixed blade but it's pretty wide both in blade and handle design as well. Of the 3 the IA is the only one I'd consider for that application.

Texican_gal
12-19-2017, 02:25 PM
OK, that's helpful Greg, thank you!

Upper body womanly topography can help in concealment; not really worried about weight but of course, that could change with real-life use.

Brent Yamamoto
12-19-2017, 03:10 PM
+1 what Greg said.

I don't own the IA so I don't have personal experience with it, but it's the one to consider. Love the GnS and GU but they are not neck knives.

Ted Demosthenes
12-19-2017, 03:26 PM
TG, Tried GU as NK; wouldn’t recommend it there either. IWB it works daily.

Texican_gal
12-19-2017, 03:27 PM
— Thanks Brent, I appreciate it!

I had commented favorably on the Internal Affairs on one of Gabe's intro posts for it, and then didn't get one (yet).

— Hey Ted, thank you for the "GU as neck knife" experience.

Mike Heckathorn
12-19-2017, 03:27 PM
The only one I'd recommend for neck carry is the Internal Affairs.

Texican_gal
12-19-2017, 03:37 PM
Thank you, Mike – it looks unanimous for the Internal Affairs!

Brightlightman
12-19-2017, 03:49 PM
I don't care for neck knives but out of the three that you mentioned, I would recommend the Internal Affairs. I have all three, is there anything in particular you are interested in? I would not recommend the Internal Affairs for everyday carry compared to the other two. It is more of a hideaway knife in my opinion as it is not as easy to grasp.

Texican_gal
12-19-2017, 04:05 PM
I don't care for neck knives but out of the three that you mentioned, I would recommend the Internal Affairs. I have all three, is there anything in particular you are interested in? I would not recommend the Internal Affairs for everyday carry compared to the other two. It is more of a hideaway knife in my opinion as it is not as easy to grasp.

I'm interested in being able to get a good grip on it, but also the concealability factor. I mentioned choil – got to have that. I haven't carried a belt knife except when hunting or running around the woods. HOWEVER, I don't want to rely on a folder under pressure and that means fixed blade. Perhaps the GU would be a good "inside pant" concealable option.

I carry the Yojimbo II on a daily basis (clipped inside waistband).

Brightlightman
12-19-2017, 05:00 PM
I wear my GU underneath a tucked shirt at work. It is MUCH easier to grab than the IA.

Texican_gal
12-19-2017, 05:26 PM
I wear my GU underneath a tucked shirt at work. It is MUCH easier to grab than the IA.

OK, you've tossed another consideration at me. Maybe neck carry is not really what I want here ....

Brightlightman
12-19-2017, 05:38 PM
I've only played around with neck carry at home and I don't like it. I seriously doubt you'd be able to grab it in a fight. At least AIWB it would be in the same spot more or less, secured by your belt, whereas neck carry would have it all over the place.

Brent Yamamoto
12-19-2017, 05:55 PM
Some carry methods are best suited to proactive roles. And circumstances sometimes dictate less than ideal methods...I can't always carry my preferred loadout. Be flexible and try different set ups to find what works best for you in different circumstances.

Most important: have SOMETHING. A close second: practice.

Bob F.
12-19-2017, 06:32 PM
Reading TG's comments I suspect she can keep a neck knife in place better than most of us guys. I won't wear anything around my neck unless it's on a breakaway. In ER my stethoscope was never around my neck!

CaneCorso
12-19-2017, 06:55 PM

Most important: have SOMETHING. A close second: practice.

Distilled very nicely for the general circumstance.

I might add “be strong/ferocious ” as a tertiary element.

Texican_gal
12-19-2017, 08:16 PM
Reading TG's comments I suspect she can keep a neck knife in place better than most of us guys. I won't wear anything around my neck unless it's on a breakaway. In ER my stethoscope was never around my neck!

The topographical feature containment unit (AKA bra-zeer) allows a beaded chain (what I use) to go UNDER it. So yes indeed, this limits stuff flying around :scared:

Texican_gal
12-19-2017, 08:19 PM
Distilled very nicely for the general circumstance.

I might add “be strong/ferocious ” as a tertiary element.

Yes, that must be a factor.

I was reminded to pull the trigger on a fixed blade for EDC after an acquaintance told me, over coffee at a restaurant, that she had thwarted a rape by stabbing the POS in the gut with her balisong as he was removing his pants. She said, "It's not like you think; you can feel the knife going in and blood gets all over your hands and everywhere!"

The guy stumbled/ran away – mission accomplished.

Brent Yamamoto
12-19-2017, 08:36 PM
she had thwarted a rape by stabbing the POS in the gut with her balisong as he was removing his pants. She said, "It's not like you think; you can feel the knife going in and blood gets all over your hands and everywhere!.

Knives are not for the squeamish.

Texican_gal
12-19-2017, 09:48 PM
Knives are not for the squeamish.

I'm glad she had the fire to act!

cmcampbell
12-19-2017, 09:58 PM
A lot to be said for "being willing" to do the work.

Texican_gal
12-19-2017, 10:39 PM
A lot to be said for "being willing" to do the work.

Yes, she had the awareness to understand that in a major crime-ridden northeastern city, she'd best have something!

khadga
12-20-2017, 02:24 AM
I've carried neck knives irregularly but often for a long time. It's a convenient and concealable method, but there are some big caveats. First, you need to carefully select a blade that you can easily securely access and then use effectively with either hand which really narrows down the options. Second, given it's position relative to center line, a neck knife seems like it should be easy to access, but in practice, under duress, it will flop around and can be difficult to access except proactively. Waist/belt carry is superior in every way. A folder in a hip pocket is at least a tossup even taking the blade open into consideration. I mostly carry neck knives now for utility/work blades which let me leave a defensive blade concealed at work.

The GU has a fantastic grip in my IMO. It's combination of shape and texture provide sure access and fighting grip that's pretty much maximal relative to size. I have a dozen slightly smaller gripped or smaller knives that I simply cannot access or utilize afterwards nearly as effectively. I have another dozen that are not much larger overall but that I cannot comfortably conceal and carry EDC. The GU is pretty close to a goldilocks fixed blade EDC option for me. I've found few others worth considering.

Texican_gal
12-20-2017, 10:26 AM
I've carried neck knives irregularly but often for a long time ... I mostly carry neck knives now for utility/work blades which let me leave a defensive blade concealed at work.

The GU has a fantastic grip in my IMO. It's combination of shape and texture provide sure access and fighting grip that's pretty much maximal relative to size. I have a dozen slightly smaller gripped or smaller knives that I simply cannot access or utilize afterwards nearly as effectively. I have another dozen that are not much larger overall but that I cannot comfortably conceal and carry EDC. The GU is pretty close to a goldilocks fixed blade EDC option for me. I've found few others worth considering.

"Goldilocks" fixed blade option is a powerful statement. The grip is what is getting my attention.

That Hide-Away Knife I have often worn as a neck knife is oriented towards right-hand draw.

OK y'all, after considering all these factors I've decided to go Gang Unit and I will carry waist area.

Thanks everybody! :beer:

cmcampbell
12-20-2017, 02:16 PM
Things I have found helpful.

Set up a range timer and practice draw and stab from various positions: standing, seated, seated and belted in a car both driver and passenger side, prone, supine. Also do this with various clothing choices. A trainer is helpful to keep from cutting yourself until you get it sorted. This will help to sort out gear and technique choices.
Archery targets, layers of cardboard etc... can work to stab into.

I sometimes use a pell (wooden striking post) to get used to impact. This can be hard on you and your knife. A trainer is helpful. The reason to sometimes use a pell is that you may hit something hard, gun,knife etc..., on the way to meat and it would be nice to have developed/selected a grip and knife choice that lets you retain your knife and not damage your hand.
IMHO, YMMV.

Texican_gal
12-20-2017, 03:37 PM
Things I have found helpful.

Set up a range timer and practice draw and stab from various positions: standing, seated, seated and belted in a car both driver and passenger side, prone, supine. Also do this with various clothing choices. A trainer is helpful to keep from cutting yourself until you get it sorted. This will help to sort out gear and technique choices.
Archery targets, layers of cardboard etc... can work to stab into.

I sometimes use a pell (wooden striking post) to get used to impact. This can be hard on you and your knife. A trainer is helpful. The reason to sometimes use a pell is that you may hit something hard, gun,knife etc..., on the way to meat and it would be nice to have developed/selected a grip and knife choice that lets you retain your knife and not damage your hand.
IMHO, YMMV.

This is very helpful advice as I was debating whether to get the trainer or not. And just like a person who'd buy a thousand-dollar pistol and give it a cheap holster, I was tending towards not (lame, I know). But as you demonstrate, a knife like this demands the respect of practicing with it, so +trainer it shall be!

Greg Nichols
12-20-2017, 05:20 PM
I have mine on a teklok horizontally mounted OWB inside my left hip handle toward my belt buckle, edge up.

45Smashemflat
12-20-2017, 06:18 PM
Not the same knife, but similar. Exact same carry method.