PDA

View Full Version : CZ Scorpion EVO

coastalcop
12-11-2017, 12:29 PM
With the added discussion recently I figured I would take some measurements on one of my PDW type systems. Gabe has posted at length on the versatility of the Glock PDW system and I agree that it is the Easy button for most applications. That said I still have fond memories of the MP5 days (though not the prices if I was buying) but in different materials. The UMP series was interesting , and I just had a hankering for a new 9mm PDW. The CZ came out a few years ago in Pistol format and I waited, and watched. Were mags going to actually exist, was it going to have the hiccups that the Sig did. Would batman save robin.

Fast forward to a few months ago, and I stopped in to see my pusher..... my gun pusher that is. He pulls the below gun in pistol format out of the back with "thought you might want to see this". Now I am part of a LLC that has an SOT, but I wanted to approach this from a non-stamped perspective (easier to sell a non-tagged gun if I didnt like it). So I make a deal and start researching. Mags are plentiful and cheap 15-20 buck for factory 30rounders that are readily available, and 20-25 bucks for a US built "lancer" type mag (polymer body, steel feed lips) in 32 rounds. Bought 5 of each for testing.

Then it was braces. They sell adapters to put an M4 tube on it (didnt like that) , SB tactical put out a folding brace (tried it, kinda nice but not really tight lockup when open), then I tried the tailhook setup. This was the money as they use the folding assembly and initial piece from CZ. The tailhook adapter is pretty slick too . Tight open , stays closed, and set to the right length for my ...forearm.

Then i looked at how to carry it in a non "tacticool" manner (as if I was working the crowd UC on a PSD) . The backpack in the photos is the REI trail 25. I have this in black and blue (the XO co opted the blue one so it was unavailable for photos) but even in black is sports a more sport than tactical look (if I was doing hippy UC i would hit it randomly with some watercolor paste in several spots, keep some under my fingernails, and viola! hippy artist). Fairly quick to access (with 20rd stick inserted) . Very robust so far, and for me a bit quicker for precise followup shots at 15 yards than the Glock PDW FOR THE SAME TARGET (traversing between targets largely negates the advantage as the weight that holds the barrel down during the recoil also slows traverse).

Upsides: Very robust, no malfs yet, quick to point , very accurate, feels good, easy for size to conceal, can be shot with stock in closed position and shorter than AR with collapsed stock with similar barrel length.

Downsides: Ambi safety needs reduction for longterm comfort (easy to do), Weighs more that Glock PDW, doesnt use glock mags (but proprietary and aftermarket are avail) , stock irons low to cowitness (either higher flipups or lever mount optic as I did)

So far Im liking it, its not going to replace my AR and Ive still got a Glock PDW kit, but it does fill a want for me.

Dorkface
12-11-2017, 01:00 PM
What does parts availability and such for it look like? From what I can tell it seems to have some sort of foot hold.

coastalcop
12-11-2017, 01:07 PM
Grips, trigger kits, safeties, charging handles, mag releases, and aftermarket magazines are available (from a variety of aftermarket manufacturers) . Im probably still going to change it a little more trying different grip angles, I like the current one but would like some more data points. the mag latch is great for me, but there are other sizes/types out there from the smart to the absurd . and Now 922r compliance is much easier if you are gonna tag it with the atf.

Brent Yamamoto
12-11-2017, 01:41 PM
I've heard that with a can it's not as gassy as some other platforms.

Much as I love my Beretta Storm, it's a gassy beast. Normally my Glock PDW isn't too bad, but last time I shot it gas was definitely a factor (since it hasn't been in the past perhaps ammo is a bigger factor than I anticipated).

krav51
12-11-2017, 02:02 PM
I’ve had mine for about six months now,had to send it back to have the feed ramp throated to get it to feed hp’s but feeds 100% now.Extremely easy to hit with .I used the CZ right side safely delete and mounted an RMR using the CZ mount .they co witnesses perfectly with the stock irons.The big weak spot is the magazine .Ive had both generations of factory mags crack at the feed lips.I thought when Manticore came out with their steel lipped mags my problems were over but they are having issues with the small plastic tab that holds the feed lips on breaking off.They replaced mine right away but i have no confidence in the weapon now and it’s relegated to range use

Yondering
12-11-2017, 02:20 PM
I've heard that with a can it's not as gassy as some other platforms.

Much as I love my Beretta Storm, it's a gassy beast. Normally my Glock PDW isn't too bad, but last time I shot it gas was definitely a factor (since it hasn't been in the past perhaps ammo is a bigger factor than I anticipated).

Yeah, ammo is a huge factor that way, even just with different brands for apparently similar loads. Of course you can expect any kind of +P ammo to be more gassy. My normal pistol carry ammo is barely useable in my suppressed Glock PDW setup unless I'm wearing full wrap-around eye protection, but with some other loads I don't notice any gas at all.

I'd like to try the EVO.

PRC 74
12-11-2017, 04:47 PM
Here is mine. Took awhile to get it all together. Between getting the ATF paperwork and 922r parts installed. Very accurate, follow ups are easy. Still need to get a sling.

bpatterson
12-11-2017, 07:26 PM
I had mine "K" cut to 4.3", tri-lug can mount, associated handguard placed, trigger work, AK medium sized right safety, and T1 in an ARMS #31(great cowitness). OEM folder and tailhook. Was pretty comparable to my MP5K.

Barker
12-11-2017, 09:15 PM
I went with the SBT brace at least for now. I have added after market safety levers, QD sling mounts, and an RMR with QD AD mount. I still consider it a fun gun because it has not replaced my G17 PDW, AR SBR, or AR pistol. That said it is a lot of fun.

Yondering
12-12-2017, 12:02 AM
Anybody have a good measured weight on their EVO?

EDELWEISS
12-12-2017, 05:45 AM
Lets be clear, this isn't a Stocked Pistol, so its not a fair comparison with a Glock PDW. The new Skorpion (as opposed to the Vz61) fits in the SMG club. As a SMG its much more of a Go To War weapon, than a Glock PDW. Many of you will say that makes it less "useful", because its heavier and larger than the Glock PDW; but in the bigger picture, both require a bag to conceal it, and as for being able to use the same mags, well that's at best a minor matter. Yes "like" mags is good, yes its nice; but its hardly a requirement, we don't have "like" (pistol/long gun) mags when we carry a 556 or 300Blk rifle-we outfit our gear accordingly.

The EVO seems like a good option, side by side, I want to like the SIG better; but the EVO wins in a lot of categories, not the least cost and function. My personal fallback in the Non SBR choices is a AR based SMG/Pistol yes with Glock mags, but also with Colt/Uzi, and even MP5 mags.

There are times for Stocked Pistols like the Glock PDW, just as there are times for a SMG. The roles do sometimes overlap; but more often they head in opposing directions. That's not a bad thing, its just a fact of reality. No doubt many will disagree; but having used both Stocked Pistols and SMGs in the real world I pick my gear as the mission requires. In the Non NFA realm, both the Glock PDW and a SMG type "pistol" require a "bag" to conceal them, both make best use of longer mags, then traditionally used in a "carry" pistol, and both get best use from 4 points of contact, its just that a SMG type performs better in a Go To War event.

The Glock PDW is a great concept, so are many SMG type weapons--choose accordingly.

dixiejarhead
04-06-2018, 09:23 AM
Ran two thirty round factory mags through mine yesterday in 20degree weather. Winchester steel cased 124gr FMJ. Performed without a hitch in slow and rapid fire. Just has a Truglo dot site on it, aiming at a 5 gallon paint bucket lid at about 50 yards, most of the rounds were in about a 6" group in the lid. Mind you that was not taking time to aim real consistent, just wanted to make sure it worked well since it's my night stand gun...

dixiejarhead
04-06-2018, 09:26 AM
Lets be clear, this isn't a Stocked Pistol, so its not a fair comparison with a Glock PDW. The new Skorpion (as opposed to the Vz61) fits in the SMG club. As a SMG its much more of a Go To War weapon, than a Glock PDW. Many of you will say that makes it less "useful", because its heavier and larger than the Glock PDW; but in the bigger picture, both require a bag to conceal it, and as for being able to use the same mags, well that's at best a minor matter. Yes "like" mags is good, yes its nice; but its hardly a requirement, we don't have "like" (pistol/long gun) mags when we carry a 556 or 300Blk rifle-we outfit our gear accordingly.

The EVO seems like a good option, side by side, I want to like the SIG better; but the EVO wins in a lot of categories, not the least cost and function. My personal fallback in the Non SBR choices is a AR based SMG/Pistol yes with Glock mags, but also with Colt/Uzi, and even MP5 mags.

There are times for Stocked Pistols like the Glock PDW, just as there are times for a SMG. The roles do sometimes overlap; but more often they head in opposing directions. That's not a bad thing, its just a fact of reality. No doubt many will disagree; but having used both Stocked Pistols and SMGs in the real world I pick my gear as the mission requires. In the Non NFA realm, both the Glock PDW and a SMG type "pistol" require a "bag" to conceal them, both make best use of longer mags, then traditionally used in a "carry" pistol, and both get best use from 4 points of contact, its just that a SMG type performs better in a Go To War event.

The Glock PDW is a great concept, so are many SMG type weapons--choose accordingly.

I have the CZ and a few 9mm glock mag fed AR pistols. I like them both. Probably the biggest advantage that I like is the CZ 30rd mags over the glock/ETS 31rd mags. The glock mags are much longer and take up more space on the LBE if you're doing a loadout on a vest or pouch set up.

Greg Nichols
04-06-2018, 10:14 AM
It was a want, not a need.55397

Greg Nichols
04-06-2018, 10:22 AM
As far as Costal's problem with the co witness, I picked up a Vortex Crossfire micro red dot which comes with a low profile mount as seen above, this gives me co-witness with the irons.

dixiejarhead
04-06-2018, 11:18 AM
As far as Costal's problem with the co witness, I picked up a Vortex Crossfire micro red dot which comes with a low profile mount as seen above, this gives me co-witness with the irons.

Same here - different optic - Truglo with low profile and it cowitnesses fine. I will post some pics of mine when I get home..

I am going to get the "K" version as well as soon as I can. It is perfect for a PDW.

dixiejarhead
04-06-2018, 11:19 AM
It was a want, not a need.55397
Looks great sir!

coastalcop
04-07-2018, 07:26 AM

I should have revisited this thread, fixed the problem as well on cowitness, went to a microdot with no riser instead of the rnr and works like a charm

LawDog
04-07-2018, 11:40 AM
I'm enjoying this gun more and more. It will eventually get a K-cut barrel. Otherwise it's complete now. I debated stepping up to a larger, quieter suppressor, but I really want the shortness of the Omega 9K.

C.J. Singleton
04-07-2018, 12:01 PM
If I could go back I would not have SBR'd mine I'm running a magpul zhukov stock with a Side Project LLC adapter it's a nice set up however if I would have known the tailhook brace was on the horizon I would have left it a pistol because as an SBR it complicates travel and I can't take it to illinois on my occasional trips there.

I added the yeti works grip, shooters element flat trigger, the hb industries trigger spring kit (a must have cuts 4lbs off the trigger pull), a magpul AFG, and I'm using an older primary arms aimpoint clone it sets low enough that if the stock comb was a little lower I could get a perfect co witness.

EDELWEISS
04-07-2018, 03:04 PM
Ive seen a couple EVO pistols that really tempted me. One had the Tail Hook the other had the SB Tactical UMPish style brace. Both were nice, I'm not sure which one was more tempting. Neither will have me selling my 9mm ARs; but I do like the EVO.

coastalcop
04-07-2018, 08:56 PM
Ive seen a couple EVO pistols that really tempted me. One had the Tail Hook the other had the SB Tactical UMPish style brace. Both were nice, I'm not sure which one was more tempting. Neither will have me selling my 9mm ARs; but I do like the EVO.

Iíve tried three different options. Of the three the tailhook option works best for me. Uses CZ factory folder and very small footprint when folded . The SB brace didnít lock up as tightly and was a little too squishy at the shoulder. Well worth adding to the stable.

Barker
04-08-2018, 03:00 PM
I may have to give the tailhook option a go. The SB is not bad.

Jsavik
04-12-2018, 11:04 AM
Tailhook is perfect.
Streamlight w/infrared laser.
Osprey suppressor.
Sig optic.
AK style safety and new trigger spring.
Awesome gun.

Dark One
04-14-2018, 08:28 PM
Anyone try the Manticore MP5 style stock for the Evo? I have the standard Evo stocks on my sbr's but the MP5 style has peaked my interest.