PDA

View Full Version : Besides the RMR is there anything else for the glock PDW?

barnetmill
12-10-2017, 08:26 AM
Since the glock PDW or glock with endo stock is not deployed as a pistol, are other sighting options such as used on rifles a viable option?

I finally put my endo stock that purchased a while ago from SI into a glock 22 and now need to look at sighting options.

callmebubba
12-10-2017, 09:54 AM
Since the glock PDW or glock with endo stock is not deployed as a pistol, are other sighting options such as used on rifles a viable option?

I finally put my endo stock that purchased a while ago from SI into a glock 22 and now need to look at sighting options.
I guess with the extra points of contact the BUIS become less of a necessity and therefore you could go with any of the adaptors that take away the rear sight. But with Suarez gear store selling the universal l mount, no reason to forego having the irons.

(I say this assuming cost savings is the concern. If not, then I’m still a believer that the RMR is still the best candidate)

golucky
12-10-2017, 10:13 AM
I guess with the extra points of contact the BUIS become less of a necessity and therefore you could go with any of the adaptors that take away the rear sight. But with Suarez gear store selling the universal l mount, no reason to forego having the irons.

(I say this assuming cost savings is the concern. If not, then I’m still a believer that the RMR is still the best candidate)

plus 1 on what Bubba said. I'm in the process of this route as well. The RMR's has worked well for me, even with my aging eyes. I've haven't personally looked through others such as Leupold or the shield, until then I'm sticking with the RMR's. Also, it helps that NODs are on the next big purchase list and my adjustable RMR's will work with them. And Bubba, after trying out your PDW setup at San Antonio at the red dot class; I was sold on the concept and been building it up since then.

barnetmill
12-10-2017, 10:13 AM
Not necessarily cost savings. Right now just asking. We normally do not put a RMR on an AR as the primary sighting system for example. It could be that the RDSs used on rifles will not hold up to the battering from being mounted to a pistol slide.

barnetmill
12-10-2017, 10:28 AM
My aimpoint for my AK is co-witness as a properly setup RMR is on a glock. But that same aimpoint would not be practical to so set up on a glock with co-witness. .

Gabriel Suarez
12-10-2017, 11:45 AM

No rear sight and front sight and you havde no way to

VERIFY ZERO
GO TO IF THE RED DOT FAILS
RE-VERIFY WHEN MAINTAINING THE RED DOT

barnetmill
12-10-2017, 12:22 PM
How about these aperture 'ghost rings' sights that some are selling for glocks. Anyone with experience as to how well they work on PDW glock set ups?

Gabriel Suarez
12-10-2017, 12:51 PM
What in God's name is insufficient about a Trijicon RMR with cowitness sights?

Please,somebody educate me.

Brent Yamamoto
12-10-2017, 01:06 PM
The DeltaPoint pro is the only other optic I would even consider. The DP pro is a good optics, and the glass is clearer than the RMR... although I still consider the RMR better overall.

You still need back up iron's, and compactness is still important for a PDW. By far the best set up is to have the slide milled for the RMR.

The shield optic is best suited to a small gun such as the G 43. I would not recommend it for a PDW

barnetmill
12-10-2017, 03:51 PM
The DeltaPoint pro is the only other optic I would even consider. The DP pro is a good optics, and the glass is clearer than the RMR... although I still consider the RMR better overall.

You still need back up iron's, and compactness is still important for a PDW. By far the best set up is to have the slide milled for the RMR.

The shield optic is best suited to a small gun such as the G 43. I would not recommend it for a PDW
Any major downside to using the SI RMR adaptor on a PDW glock. I do not see a major problem with it sitting higher than on a milled slide for the RMR. I have noticed that the factory iron sights for me are way too close when the 'stock' is brought up to the shoulder and aiming is attempted. Not a problem for a RMR. But the open rear sight is somewhat blurry. I will have to take the PDW to the range and test it because sometimes even when sights are blurry one can still hit with them and also likely align a red dot.

Gabriel Suarez
12-10-2017, 04:15 PM
Some questions

1). Why are you setting up a PDW without an RMR
2). Have you read my articles and seen my videos...they kinda explain how everything works.

barnetmill
12-10-2017, 05:04 PM
Some questions

1). Why are you setting up a PDW without an RMR
2). Have you read my articles and seen my videos...they kinda explain how everything works.
I had you guys install an RMR years on a glock for me years ago and yes I read your articles watch your videos.
I will likely put a RMR on it with time; actually quite shortly. I was checking to see what else was there. I just purchased a full size glock yesterday for a PDW since the price was good. I was actually picking up a lower for a 6.5 alexander arms upper and asked my dealer on a whim if he had any G17 or G22's in stock. I left with a G22 and managed to the get endo stock that I purchased from you previously joined with it without filing on the endo. I definitely want optics on it and was looking to see if there was anything else.

By the way I do like the way the glock handles with the armbrace/stock on it. I will likely test fire it first before putting an RMR on it.

baker
12-10-2017, 06:23 PM
The way the cheek weld is, I wouldn't try using irons. I find them too low. The RMR makes the whole thing work.

Gabriel Suarez
12-10-2017, 06:34 PM
Ok...that is why I was asking. Believe me...if there was something better we would be using it.

barnetmill
12-10-2017, 07:34 PM
The way the cheek weld is, I wouldn't try using irons. I find them too low. The RMR makes the whole thing work.

I have a thin face and the check weld is fine for me, just not the rear sight focus. I can not focus clearly on the sights at such a close distance so ultimately an RMR seems to be the most viable solution. I have not even functioned fired it yet. I believe it is G3 and I read elsewhere some people are able to get a cheek weld on the sights. I will now put some blue loctite on the thread.

Thanks for all of the informative answers, thanks for bearing with me, and sorry for asking what may seem like a lot stupid questions.

Greg Nichols
12-11-2017, 07:12 AM

This is my thoughts as well. I might consider the DP pro on a dedicated PDW pistol for a number of reasons, it's likely to get less use and be bagged most of the time, it has clearer glass, it has a thinner frame for less obstruction of FOV, FOV inside the glass is slightly bigger.

I don't consider them an option on my carry weapon as they are bigger and aren't as robust as the RMR. Other than these two I wouldn't consider anything else on a serious weapon.

As to the L Mount I would opt against it as I like the charging handle option for the back plate, especially with a DP Pro, the front of the frame is a lot sharper than the RMR so I'd be less inclined to grab it like I do the RMR on a reactive working of the slide.

Ulf
12-11-2017, 09:59 AM
So the charging handle will not work with the L-Mount?

Greg Nichols
12-11-2017, 10:01 AM

Not that I'm aware but I could be wrong.

Ulf
12-11-2017, 10:06 AM
I was about to ask in "MonkeyBusiness". I just got an Endo/Shockwave/Law Folder combo and want to PDW one of my G21s.

Brent Yamamoto
12-11-2017, 10:22 AM

No.

Ulf
12-11-2017, 10:26 AM
Thanks, Brent - now I have some decisions to make!

Gabriel Suarez
12-11-2017, 10:43 AM

Ulf
12-11-2017, 05:28 PM
That IS what I'm planning on!

Harborcat
12-11-2017, 05:46 PM
I just received my Glock 34 complete Suarez Slide assembly. Just put my RMR on it and installed the PDW kit. Impressed at the quality and utility of this system.

Ulf
12-11-2017, 06:35 PM
What hinge mechanism is that?

barnetmill
12-11-2017, 06:54 PM
What hinge mechanism is that?
I wish mine had the hinge. It would make for more concealable stowage in vehicle or boat and also for handing in canoes and kayaks.
I need to prove out what I have and maybe then get an endo set up that has the hinge.

PERSONAL DEFENSE WEAPON KIT FOR GLOCKS - FOLDING (https://suarezinternational.com/personal-defense-weapon-kit-for-glocks-folding/) $125.00 https://suarezinternational.com/pdw-and-pcc-weapon-kits/