PDA

View Full Version : Why did you chose your frame size?

pbsodetective
07-06-2017, 12:52 PM
With the newest ATF opinion on "redesign" my order is in at S.I. for the Endo kit. Since it will be matched to an ISSUED caliber it will be a 40.
I want to hear from those of you who chose the 19/23 frame over the 17/22 since the Endo is just as tall with either frame
I was originally going to build it on the 19/23 because it's what I have. I don't have a Glock 17/22 or any Glock 22 mags go right from 23 mags to happy sticks.
I have no problem getting a 22 if you can convince me it is better.
With Gabe's new universal red dot plate once the red dot (RMR-06) and rear sight are on the plate it will go on either 23/22 so that makes trying both frames easy.

No matter which frame I end up using I see this as a permanent weapon change, it will get the safety installed and unless that can easily be reversed the gun will no longer be used a EDC carry pistol, but as a bedside/vehicle gun only with the endo to serve as a reminder of the new manual of arms, (the extended mag release is on the order too).

Waiting on the wisdom of the tribe!

Brent Yamamoto
07-06-2017, 12:59 PM
If you're going to have a dedicated PDW, there's no reason not to go with a full size frame.

The only reason to use a smaller frame is if the gun isn't intended to be dedicated to the PDW role.

I can see using a 19/23 in order to get the shortest possible PDW but...really, just get an extra 22 and dedicate it.

Mike Heckathorn
07-06-2017, 12:59 PM
The 19/23 will require modification to the ENDO.

EDELWEISS
07-06-2017, 01:01 PM
Others will disagree (I'm sure); but for me I like a full size pistol as the base to build a PDW--especially a dedicated PDW. The mid size guns (G19 et'al) are just about prefect for CCW carry, and I'm sure they can work as a PDW; but I prefer a full size. If I was seriously thinking a G22, then Id probably go with a G35 and use a 357SIG barrel for a really bitchin PDW

Greg Nichols
07-06-2017, 01:06 PM
Others will disagree (I'm sure); but for me I like a full size pistol as the base to build a PDW--especially a dedicated PDW. The mid size guns (G19 et'al) are just about prefect for CCW carry, and I'm sure they can work as a PDW; but I prefer a full size. If I was seriously thinking a G22, then Id probably go with a G35 and use a 357SIG barrel for a really bitchin PDW

I'm kinda in the same boat. For a PDW there's no real reason not to have a full size, I'd use it with Hi-cap mags anyway rather than standard so you'll shell out some cash for those anyway.

DogDoc
07-06-2017, 01:10 PM
I have several Endo/KAK braces. All of them are drilled to accommodate a G19 if needed but they all have a dedicated full-size frame that lives on them.

Dorkface
07-06-2017, 01:15 PM
What the others said.

If its dedicated then there isnt a reason not too use a full sized frame. The only reason I can think to use it with a 19 is if the idea is to use it to augment ones carry gun if there was time to attach it and the idea is to keep weight or space to a minimum for some specific reason.

Modification to make it fit a 19 just means drilling another hole.

ShopMonkey
07-06-2017, 04:02 PM
many people don't have the patience, ability, or skill set to modify the endo to a 19/23 frame. Its designed to work with a 17/22, which as an already prolific firearm, makes the PDW kit an accessory to the frame rather than making the frame an afterthought to the kit

ShopMonkey
07-06-2017, 04:04 PM
What the others said.

If its dedicated then there isnt a reason not too use a full sized frame. The only reason I can think to use it with a 19 is if the idea is to use it to augment ones carry gun if there was time to attach it and the idea is to keep weight or space to a minimum for some specific reason.

Modification to make it fit a 19 just means drilling another hole.

its a little more than that to make it run the same way it would on a 17 frame. You would need to re-cut/shape the angle of the base to seat anything other than the 15rd mag into it

ShopMonkey
07-06-2017, 04:07 PM
here's one modified for a WT'r

Dorkface
07-06-2017, 05:26 PM
Thank you for the additional information. I some how havent gotten around to buying one yet and was going off memory from what another WTer had mentioned. Seems like straight forward process.

pbsodetective
07-06-2017, 07:07 PM
here's one modified for a WT'r
Thanks for the pic shop monkey and the additional comments above the pic. I was thinking about going to the 22 frame for the same reasons posted by the tribe,(still am considering all comments) but I am still having a hard time getting past the mental picture of a empty 22 frame pdw in one hand a 23 mag in the other and my head somewhere else!

RedLeg0811
07-07-2017, 07:36 AM
I bought a gen 4 G22 police turn for $350. I then bought a 35 barrel from Gabe. Yondering is going to thread it for a muzzle break.

ShopMonkey
07-07-2017, 08:32 AM
I bought a gen 4 G22 police turn for $350. I then bought a 35 barrel from Gabe. Yondering is going to thread it for a muzzle break.

Gen4 pistols will also require some modification to the Endo as it is designed for Gen3 frames

DogDoc
07-07-2017, 11:22 AM
I managed a "best of both worlds" scenario by buying a second frame. One is a normal G17 dedicated to the PDW brace. The second frame is a G17 cut to G19 length for carry. One RMR'd Suarez slide is shared between the two.

Doc

pbsodetective
07-07-2017, 11:29 AM
ShopMonkey
I tried to send you a pm but ur inbox is full
Thanks

khadga
07-07-2017, 11:31 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU
Gen4 pistols will also require some modification to the Endo as it is designed for Gen3 frames

I'm almost converted over to Gen4, now this. Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

Brent Yamamoto
07-07-2017, 11:39 AM
I'm almost converted over to Gen4, now this. Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

It's easy enough to convert the Endo to Gen 4. Search out some of Yondering's comments, he's posted some instructions and pictures.

Though honestly, if you're going to dedicate a pistol as a PDW, I'd just buy a Gen 3 and be done with it. Your EDC Gen 4 takes the same mags so...not a big deal? I get parts commonality and all but just don't see it's a biggie.

ShopMonkey
07-07-2017, 02:35 PM
ShopMonkey
I tried to send you a pm but ur inbox is full
Thanks

try again, i emptied it

callmebubba
07-07-2017, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the pic shop monkey and the additional comments above the pic. I was thinking about going to the 22 frame for the same reasons posted by the tribe,(still am considering all comments) but I am still having a hard time getting past the mental picture of a empty 22 frame pdw in one hand a 23 mag in the other and my head somewhere else!

I solved this by selling all but one G19 mag (stays in the gun) and bought almost 2x as many magpul G17 mags. If the only shorter mag is always in the 19 or empty and in a pocket already then I can never run in to this problem. Just another idea.

pbsodetective
07-07-2017, 07:33 PM
I solved this by selling all but one G19 mag (stays in the gun) and bought almost 2x as many magpul G17 mags. If the only shorter mag is always in the 19 or empty and in a pocket already then I can never run in to this problem. Just another idea.
That is a good idea, any chance another family member will have a glock 19in the fight? My daughter would most likely have a, 23 the wife and son in law other systems.

callmebubba
07-08-2017, 05:14 AM
That is a good idea, any chance another family member will have a glock 19in the fight? My daughter would most likely have a, 23 the wife and son in law other systems.
When I had a 19 and my wife a 26, I left the spare 26 mags in the case and had her carry a 17 mag as well. I can find an event where this might come up if I REALLY try but it's not something I'm particularly concerned with.

golucky
07-08-2017, 07:02 AM
gone with 17 mags as my reloads for my RMR19. Sometimes, I'll have some PMAG 21 reloads. Regarding the OP question, I've gone with the full size 17 Gen 3 for the PDW. Also, I'm exploring what DogDoc does to have the Endo fitted to the 19's, giving me the option of having the Endo on either the 17 or 19.