PDA

View Full Version : PDW higer capacity magazines

RedLeg0811
05-26-2017, 08:33 AM
Hey Tribe,

I wanted to know what people thought on the higher capacity magazines? I have seen pictures of Gabe's PDW with a 33 round mag.

My thoughts on mags. A good firearm has a certain balance, change the weight too much and that balance is off. 30rds AR mags are not bad, but when you start to add the weight of say a surfire mag5-60, or a drum mag it really changes the balance. Also I can buy a lot of good 30 rds mags for the price of the surefire. I guess I find them more tacticool then practical.

Moving to the glock PDW is the balance good with a 31 round sig 357? What about the mag drums? Or is that just like I mentioned above? In Somalia I don't remember thinking dam I wish I had a bigger mag, just switched out. Granted the fire fight I was in was over pretty quick and I had seven mags on me and more handy.

Thanks
Red

apamburn
05-26-2017, 08:36 AM
my happy sticks don't negatively affect the balance of my Glock without the PDW kit.

With the kit there is also no issue in my opinion.

Brent Yamamoto
05-26-2017, 08:40 AM
Agree. I don't think it's a big deal.

I use the standard Glock 22 rounders for my 357 reloads. I'll bring it tonight and you can try for yourself.

chad newton
05-26-2017, 08:58 AM
I was even thrown off alittle using glock 17 mags in a glock 19. You have to get used to it, I won't shoot with standard mags now, it feels funny and my hands are on the big side for a 19 anyways.

LawDog
05-26-2017, 10:57 AM
With the Endo brace in place, there is a slight obstruction when seating a flush-fit magazine. The 17-rounders (or 15, for .40 and .357) will work fine, but the 21/22rd mags offer the advantage of a magazine that is easier to seat. I personally find the 33rd mags to feel a little bit funny, even in a PDW rig, but they are quite workable. I still want to obtain some of the 27rd mags, to see how they feel. I suspect they may hit a sweet spot, but only experience will show if that is true or not.

EDELWEISS
05-26-2017, 12:02 PM
I think the advantage of LARGE mags and drums, is length of fire between reloads. A drum in a bedside AR means its "grab-n-go" when you hear a crash at night. Likewise a high cap mag in something like a Glock PDW is a better chance of resolving the conflict without having to stop to swop mags. ANY pause gives the bad guy(s) a chance to take back the initiative.

YES there are or can be drawbacks, drums do add weight; how much weight and how much of a distraction that may be is a personal decision. Some really large magazines have a history of less then stellar performance. The Surefire 60s and 100s are pricey and don't have the best history, the KCI Glock drums are so tight in the guns, that they have to be "pulled" out, instead of just a simple mag swop. Conversely the MagPul drums are not only pretty reliable but also reasonably priced.

The weight argument against large magazine is somewhat deflated by the need to carry extra mags.

As for me, I cant imagine a PDW with anything less than a 20+ round mag

RedLeg0811
05-26-2017, 12:53 PM
My P320 came with four 21 rds mags. I feel it has just a little bit better balance with those over the 17rds. It might be in my mind.

I was more talking about the 31 rds 40/357 sig mags or the drum, but I am not sure anyone makes a 40/ 357 sig drum. I have not looked yet.

As you said I have had concerns over reliability too.

Greg Nichols
05-26-2017, 02:50 PM
I'm not a huge fan of drums in general as a large majority of function issues in modern firearms are due to feed issues I'm not comfortable introducing a more complicated item into that role. That being said if I had the regular need to provide a base of fire or support by fire the longer I could keep a string of fire going could benefit my team mates and I'd consider a drum, but I'd rather have a belt-fed if I needed to do that.

RedLeg0811
05-30-2017, 07:00 AM
That makes sense Greg, and I agree.