PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the FN P-90

FedDC
10-03-2003, 06:16 PM
I am curious as to your oppinions on this weapon. i went to the armorers course at the NRA a few weeks back and I was impressed with the weapon. I have questions about its lethality, but as far as reliability and functionality goes, I like it. I also liked the ergonomics of it and the light weight. what are your oppinions?

Scout
10-03-2003, 11:23 PM
I've played with and shot one, but not enough to make an informed call. FWIW:

I don't like the sights. The backup sights are also questionable.

I don't like the handguard being so close to the muzzle. If I had to execute some kind of takedown/deflection and shoot, I'd be concerned about shooting myself (With some training these can probably be resolved.)

Otherwise it is a pretty impressive and well engineered but what do I know?

Gabriel Suarez
10-04-2003, 08:47 AM
A few years ago, the International Wound Ballistics Review published an article about the ballistics (terminal) of the P-90 round. I believe it may have been written by Fackler. I had a copy, but cannot locate it. If anybody can find it, its a great discussion on the P-90, and the entire PDW concept.

MTS
10-04-2003, 11:26 AM
I flipped through my collection of the IWBA journals and found a couple of articles about the FN P-90 and the 5.7mm round.

The journal is no longer published but I wish they would publish an index.

I did not find the article Gabe referenced though I recall it also. It went into the whole PDW concept including the FN P-90 and the HK 4.7mm(?) PDW.

In glancing at the articles the concensus seemed to be that the round would penetrate body armor as advertised but that ballisticly it is a a very weak rifle cartridge with poor terminal ballistics and not the "souped-up" submachinegun cartridge with great terminal ballistics cartridge that FN presents it as.

The only operational use of the weapon that I know of is in the Peruvian Japanese embassy raid in 1997. While it did seem impressive in that operation you must remember two points.

First, the Peruvian operators delivered multiple rounds on each "Tango" and second, none of the operators seemed to be carrying any kind of restraint device (handcuffs, flexcuffs, etc.). Feel free to connect those dots in any way that you wish.

FedDC
10-04-2003, 12:08 PM
My agency tested them since we do mainly dignitary protection and it could fit under a coat (a big one;) and is easily deployed from vehicles. I have been impressed thus far with it's functionality and as stated above, the guys at FN do claim that it is a death ray as far as terminal performance supposedly bc the bullet is traveling at high velocity and tumbles/breaks up in a similar fashion to the 5.56. The debate reminds me of the questions about the 5.56 vs. the 7.62 when the M 16 was coming on line. The 5.56 has proven to be very good, but at the time was thought to be far less lethal. As of now, we are only given Colt SMGs and certain guys get a HK PDW. Most of us just have our Sigs. I know that the Secret Service has deployed them with their CAT teams, if anyone here is SS, feel free to chime in with info. I have heard rumors of a few police agencies that are using the pistol that shoots the same round and that there was a very BAD event surrounding a shooting, but the details are sketchy and supposedly there is litigation pending...has anyone heard any actual facts about any of the PDs using the pistol in shootings?

k9dpd
10-04-2003, 11:08 PM
It was my agency that had the shooting and it is still in litigation but as soon as it is over I will let you know the facts, but I went back to my old issue gun, glock 31 afterwards if thats any indication, but the shooting was from the pistol not the P90.

mickey223
04-12-2006, 08:42 PM
Sorry to bring an old topic to the to, but several of us are looking for information on the P90 and its civilian conterpart the PS90. More specifically the armorers course. Currently FN does not have a course scheduled for 2006 and I saw where FedDC stated he went to the course. How was the course? Did they provide a detailed armorers manual? Any information would be appreciated. I do not want to post a link to the other forum where this is being discussed, so FedDC, if you could send some info my way, I would be greatful.

Mike

S-Lee
04-13-2006, 09:05 AM
It was my agency that had the shooting and it is still in litigation but as soon as it is over I will let you know the facts, but I went back to my old issue gun, glock 31 afterwards if thats any indication, but the shooting was from the pistol not the P90.

to add on top of that, another PD has several P90 shooting....

13 rds to the A zone.. the prep drop to the ground started to crawl away. died 3 hours later in the hospital.....

one round through the front windshield, hit the prep in the forehead and broke the skin. the prep open the car door and try to exit, another operator shot him several times in the torso and the prep dropped the gun raised his hands and ask for the officer stop shooting him with that gun....

well, I am still buying a PS90 because it is one of those I really want it and got to have it gun, would I use it for anything else but plinking... NO!!

Jack Rumbaugh
04-13-2006, 09:27 AM
They kill the hell out of Jaffa on SG-1...:rolleyes:

bae4
04-13-2006, 10:52 AM
I remember AmmoLab telling me that civilian loadingss of the 5.7x28 would be akin to a .22 mag on the forum about a year or so ago.

elmer_fudd_gantry
04-22-2006, 02:44 PM
Google tells me that the citation to the article from Wound Ballistics Review is:

"Wound Profile of the 5.7x28mm FN Cartridge (SS 190) Fired from the FN P90 Submachine Gun," Vol. 4, No. 3 (Spring 2000) by Dahlstrom, Powley & Pope, RCMP Forensic Laboratory in Canada.

John Chambers
04-22-2006, 02:51 PM
I finally figured out why I "need' a PS90. It would be the ultimate jack rabbit chaser on trips to SW Texas...

For shooting people? I'll stick with my AK or M1a.