PDA

View Full Version : Great sights for old eyes!

Vig Creed
02-12-2004, 02:47 PM
Yesterday I installed AO Express BIG DOT Nite sights on a Glock and Hi-Viz Tactical (biggest glowing green dot) sights on several other pistols. Tested them out today. Boy are they a great solution for old or tired eyes!

Priced right at Brownells.

creed

Lee P. Lapin
02-12-2004, 04:54 PM
Vig,

I'm planning on putting a set on the Rem870 house gun (20" IC barrel, factory rifle sight bases in place) I'm building up for my father in law. I saw a set on a working 870 a while back and was impressed with them. He owned a rifle fitted with express sights for a long time when living overseas and likes them, so this option should work well for him.

Haven't tried them on a pistol but have heard numerous good reports about them. Thanks for adding to the list.

lpl

Condition Brown
02-12-2004, 05:17 PM
I used to have a set of Express Big Dots on my Glock 22. Very fast in acquisition, but not worth a darn at 15 yards or beyond.

I now have Heinies, and improved skill.

billcameron
02-12-2004, 05:38 PM
I have ashley 24/7 sights on a glock 26 and glock 27. Fast on target, but more important for me is that I can always get some kind of a sight picture. With practice and familarization you should be able to pretty consistently stay within 8 inches at 25 yards. Put on your reading glasses for better sight picture and you should be able to do better, but then you are defeating purpose of the sights. But I think a younger person, esp with full sized pistol, who has good focus and choses ashley for fast sight pick up could learn to shoot 4 inch groups or better at 25 yds.

RedDevil
02-16-2004, 08:01 AM
I've been really looking at the Big Dot sights for my full-size 1911. I never shoot farther than 25yds and feel the Big Dots would make target aquisition faster/easier at true self defense distances.

Vig,

Between the two that you tested, which sights did you prefer?

Vig Creed
02-18-2004, 09:54 AM
Vig,

Between the two that you tested, which sights did you prefer?

In daylight the Hi-Viz Tactical big dot is just as fast as the Ashley Express. In the dark, the Hi-Viz fades away while the Ashley (BIG DOT nite sight) is still readily visible.

As for what someone said about 15y max, I haven't found that to be true. I don't have any problem hitting torso size steel targets at 35y with Big Dots. What you do at long range is use the tip-top of the dot as the aiming point instead of superimposing the entire dot on the center of the target.

creed

lcp
02-18-2004, 11:35 AM
I also have been seriously thinking about the XS 24/7 Big dot sight particularly for quick acquisition of the sight and due to cataract in dominant eye. I would install on a Sig P239. I was looking at the XS web site yesterday and they recommend against a sight pusher for installation. They suggest fitting the sight into the dovetail. Tell me how your installation went. The Glock and Sig dovetails at least on the rear sight are similar.

Catbird
02-19-2004, 06:33 PM
I am very interested in this subject; I have "old" eyes. :D

Besides that, I have mono-vision...via LASIK eye surgery, one of my eyes has been corrected for longer distances while the other eye has been corrected to see closeup (reading, etc). Bottom line: Except for nighttime driving, I normally don't have to wear corrective lenses.

This eye setup works very well for me for everyday activities, however, when shooting, it's difficult to focus very well on the target, front sight and rear sight.

I do have the XS Big Dot tritium sights on my little Kahr P40 which is basically a draw, point and shoot pistol, anyway. I am considering installing the XS Standard Dot sights on my new Browning Hi Power. I am thinking that the Standard Dot will give me a tad more precision and not obscure the target nearly as much as the Big Dot.

Comments/recommendations?

InTheBlack
02-26-2004, 11:20 PM
Catbird- is your dominant eye the near or far vision corrected eye? Is your dominant eye the strong-side eye?

Does the near vision eye have enough distance to get a sight picture with?

Before the surgery, with glasses, did you shoot with both eyes open? What about now?

If you can't get a sight picture with your near vision eye, you'll have to use the distance eye so you can find the target. If that isn't your dominant eye, you'll have to squint or close the dominant eye, so you might be doubly screwed. Triple screwed if you now have to shoot using your weak-side eye.

This is the sort of thing that we shooters need to think about, because the eye doctor hasn't got a clue about what we need to use the sights.

shooter
02-28-2004, 08:57 PM
I have been using the 24/7 big dot on my G-22 for about 18 months and realy like it. Head shots at 25 yards are possible. I have a Hi-Viz on my Smith 340PD which works OK if there is light. I am having a big dot put on my Kahr PM40 as soon as I get it back from Kytac who is making a holster for me.

The Kahr shoots great with the smaller mag but jams with the extended one. (Is being returned to factory soon) Has anyone else had this problem. BTW it has far less recoil than the .357!

Mark

Catbird
02-29-2004, 05:26 AM
InTheBlack -

I am right handed, right eye dominant and my right eye has been corrected for longer distances.

Without corrective lenses, I see the target best with my right eye and I see the gun sights best with my left eye.

While shooting at the range, I generally elect to wear my glasses with corrective lenses for eye protection. I wear glasses with TRANSITIONS lenses, i.e., no line bi-focals.

One thing which complicates the issue is that if I ever need to use my handgun for SD, chances are great that I will NOT be wearing my glasses. Fortunately though, it will more than likely occur at close range.

It may sound like a severe handicap to have one "strong" eye and one "weak" eye, but it works out quite well in real life.

Vig Creed
02-29-2004, 06:10 AM
I also have been seriously thinking about the XS 24/7 Big dot sight particularly for quick acquisition of the sight and due to cataract in dominant eye. I would install on a Sig P239. I was looking at the XS web site yesterday and they recommend against a sight pusher for installation. They suggest fitting the sight into the dovetail. Tell me how your installation went. The Glock and Sig dovetails at least on the rear sight are similar.

I installed a set on a Sig 239. The rear sight (on my set) was made undersize, so that it slipped into the dovetail with little or no pressure. It is intended to be held in place by an application of red loctite. I didn't like the looseness and decided to keep the stock Sig rear, but widened it with a file to better accomodate the BIG DOT front. Truth is I never did try to loctite the XS rear in place because it looked like a too-loose-fit to be trusted.

The front is slightly oversize, and is fitted by rubbing the bottom side of the sight on sandpaper until it can be driven into the dovetail. That worked fine.

billcameron
03-15-2004, 02:11 PM

Lcp,

Put your faith in red loctite. I have installed Ashley 24/7 on glock 26 and glock 27. The Ashley kit has everything, including loctite and allen wrench. Also for glock has socket for screw in front sight. On glock I cleaned surfaces good with nonchlorinated brake cleaner. For front sight applied loctite and screwed down tight, made sure sight was square and let it sit a day for loctite to harden. I suspect in case of sig with dovetails front and rear I would loctite in front sight after cleaning and let it harden. For rear sight clean with nonchlorinated brake cleaner and put in sight which is held temporary with allen screws-- you will have to keep tightening allen screws as you shoot. Once you are close I would put on scribe mark in case allen screws come loose and you lose setting. Anyhow keep shooting with allen screws holding (tighten every two or three shoot as recoil loosens screws) until you are sure sight setting is where you want it. Then leaving allen screws IN PLACE pour on the provided red loctite. I put slide on its side and tapped to get loctite between base of sight and bottom of dovetail. Then turn slide on other side and repeat. On mine with allen screws tighten down could see light between bottom of rear sight and dovetail- this space you fill in with red loctite. Ashley gives you a little plastic tapper to move sight after you apply loctite, but my advice is find out proper setting before you apply loctite and avoid need to tap, tap. It is not an adjustable sight, but I have faith in red loctite. And I agree with others on sight picture esp for old eyes. I think you will like this set up for combat gun. And installation is easy, if you take your time. But again my advise is find out proper position for rear sight before you put on the red loctite. And remember leave the allen screws in place on rear sight when you put on loctite as they are pushing sight up into top of dovetail. If you just slip sight in dovetail against scribe mark your sight will be lower than with allen screws tightened down.

lcp
03-15-2004, 03:50 PM
Creed/Bill
Thanks for the input on the XS sight install. I had two issues with the "Big Dot" sight. One was the install and the other was accuracy beyond twenty yards. I think they will be worthwhile especially with my vision issue in my dominant eye. Aside from personal defense the primary use of the Sig 239 is a monthly IDPA match that I attend. Long range shots are rare and if beyond 20 yards according to Creed's post the idea is to use the top of the front sight for these shots.
Lyle