PDA

View Full Version : Suppressor Options?

RobertGuy
03-05-2017, 02:42 PM
What are the top recommendations for a suppressor on a Glock G17 PDW?

What features/specs should I be considering?

I'm thinking:
Needs to be no quieter than hearing safe.
Quiet enough to maintain situational awareness.
Short so not to add too much weight to the end of the barrel.
Lightweight
Durable
Quality
Easy service
Least amount of hassles. The market looks driven to make some of these as versatile as possible, but I don't want to add weight ,complexity, parts loosening, maintenance, or something extra when not needed.

Thanks.

Mike Heckathorn
03-05-2017, 02:45 PM
Silencerco Omega9K or AAC TiRant 9M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

callmebubba
03-05-2017, 05:25 PM
At Red Dot pistol school 2 weeks back; running my AAC Ti-rant 9 (full size) and Jon Paynes other full size suppressor (don't recall model) the guys on the other side of the burm said the only knew we were shooting because of the sound of rounds hitting steel. I'm with you that hearing safe is a big part of the goal, but not being heard from 30' away can't be a bad thing.

LawDog
03-05-2017, 07:59 PM
I'm very happy with my Omega 9K. Kevin Brittingham, who started AAC and was part of their great innovations before selling it all to Remington, has started a new company named Q. Their products haven't really hit the market yet, but they look very exciting. They are worth keeping an eye on.

For a pistol suppressor, the greatest consideration is weight, then length. With a PDW, length becomes slightly less important. Increasing the width from 1" to 1.25" (or even 1.5") is virtually unnoticed--at least on an RMR-equipped pistol. The modular designs that allow you to run either a shorter (louder) or longer (quieter) configuration are arguably over-complicated. You just want a lightweight can that is reasonably durable.

As long as suppressors remain on the NFA, this next goal won't happen. But if we actually deregulate silencers, then the market will be ripe for cheap, light, virtually disposable pistol and rimfire suppressors. If I could buy paperless (or at least NFA-registration-less) pistol cans for $100 or so, and they were of merely workable quality, I'd have 8-10 of them scattered around in different places.

PastorM
03-06-2017, 09:16 AM
I kind of like the looks of the Dead Air Ghost-M.

https://deadairsilencers.com/products/ghost-m/

sellers.smith
03-06-2017, 10:12 AM
I assume by Glock PDW, you are talking about using the Endo Stock (either NFA or non). I run an ACC TiRant on my Glock PDWs - shoulder and cheek weld depending on whether it has a tax stamp. For a PDW, weight is less of an issue, as you use the cheek or shoulder to counterbalance. IMO, length is only an issue when you are trying to stuff it into a bag. I really have not done a comparison of suppressors, so I cannot say that the TiRant is the 'best', but it will get the job done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EDELWEISS
03-06-2017, 10:23 AM
It really depends WHAT you want. There are some amazing "wet" suppressors. that are SMALL and quiet, and cheap ($500 range); but require wipes and cooling gel. I have a Nano that's about the size of a roll of Lifesavers candy--Yes THAT small. Its "good" for maybe 10 shots, after that it gets louder but still "better" than a naked barrel--BUT--lemme be real clear its a specialty suppressor. My suggestion for a first OR general purpose suppressor would be the Gemtech Multi-Mount. Its a 9mm pistol suppressor that you can use on 9mm rifles (PCCs/SBRs/PDWs). You can even use it on 300Blackout guns with subsonic loads.

baker
03-06-2017, 10:40 AM
I have an AAC 45 Tirant on my 9mm PDW. Every time I fold it and put it into a backpack I wish I had something shorter. Gabe has a short Silencerco 9mm that I am interested in.