PDA

View Full Version : REVIEWING SOME AMMUNITION OPTIONS - 1

Gabriel Suarez
03-03-2017, 07:39 AM
Here is a new concept...for me in any case. Subsonic Shotgun Ammo. Perhaps not a utilitarian application, but interesting nonetheless.

Subsonic Shotshells (https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/6/19/subsonic-shotshells/)

EDELWEISS
03-03-2017, 08:36 AM
Hmmmm, interesting idea. Im wondering how it might sound in a screaming crowd?

Togar
03-03-2017, 09:00 AM
Got a suppressor for the shotgun? That just might be interesting to hear.

DeltaCadet84
03-03-2017, 09:22 AM
The discussion on ballistics is very good to keep things in context. Because of the shotgun's immense power, there doesn't seem to be much of a reason to not keep "indoor loads" ready to go.

EDIT: Bad grammar and forgotten words.
Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Gabriel Suarez
03-03-2017, 09:50 AM
I will allow the cat to peek slightly. We are planning to release a Remington 870 Patrol, which will be a more general purpose shotgun with many of the advances seen on the Stakeout. For that weapon, more general purpose ammo suits the mission (ie. Federal premium and Slugs). But for the Stakeout, whose mission is closer and which is not intended as a general purpose weapon, a more weapon-specific ammo choice is in order. Any buckshot will be devastating at 3-15 yards. I see 15 yards as the limit of envelope for the Stakeout, but inside that envelope nothing defeats it in terms of damage potential, speed, and maneuverability. The issue is controlling it with the normal heavy ammo used on a stocked weapon. While a reduced recoil choice may not be best for general purpose, it is a wise choice here.

LawDog
03-03-2017, 12:45 PM
In line with this, I can think of another product that SI could offer that is currently unavailable: a 12-14" barrel for the 870 that accepts interchangeable chokes. With the advent of shotgun suppressors that attach via a choke tube, and the obvious advantage of starting with an SBS, someone should be making this product. But I am aware of no such offerings at this time. For me, I would also really like to have rifle sights on it.

Ted Demosthenes
03-03-2017, 12:53 PM
Got a suppressor for the shotgun? That just might be interesting to hear.

Muffler for a 125 dirt bike??

Center Shot
03-03-2017, 01:01 PM
Has anyone tried the Remington Managed-Recol 00BK eight pellet. I just watched a you tube video, where the instructors were shooting a Remington 870 with a 14 " barrel, with this ammo. The patterns were very tight: 1"at 5yds, 2"at 10yds., 5" at 15yds. and 9.5" at 25yds. I don't know if this tight pattern is good or bad. What do you think.

EDELWEISS
03-03-2017, 01:29 PM
In line with this, I can think of another product that SI could offer that is currently unavailable: a 12-14" barrel for the 870 that accepts interchangeable chokes. With the advent of shotgun suppressors that attach via a choke tube, and the obvious advantage of starting with an SBS, someone should be making this product. But I am aware of no such offerings at this time. For me, I would also really like to have rifle sights on it.

YES! Ive stayed away from shotgun suppressors for this very reason; but on a 12" (maybe 14") barrel it might be worth the length. On that note the only DuckBill diverter that's in production screws onto Rem Choke threads.... It would make a manageable length on a short barrel

Papa
03-03-2017, 03:11 PM
Has anyone tried the Remington Managed-Recol 00BK eight pellet. I just watched a you tube video, where the instructors were shooting a Remington 870 with a 14 " barrel, with this ammo. The patterns were very tight: 1"at 5yds, 2"at 10yds., 5" at 15yds. and 9.5" at 25yds. I don't know if this tight pattern is good or bad. What do you think.

Too tight. Cancels the tactical advantage of a shotgun.

Sam Spade
03-03-2017, 03:44 PM
If you're going to download things that far, why not look to improve the reliability with mini-shells and get the capacity gain?

Chainsaw76
03-27-2018, 02:29 PM

Might be a good option for extending range on the RARE occasion that it is needed. I'm all for versatility, make your ammo loadout balanced for your needs and AO. Keep things realistic.

jim

3corners
03-28-2018, 08:57 AM
This and the COIN thread reminded me of the 'silent' shotgun shells of the Vietnam era I will have to see if google can find them...

EDELWEISS
03-29-2018, 06:21 AM
This and the COIN thread reminded me of the 'silent' shotgun shells of the Vietnam era I will have to see if google can find them...

There was an attempt at civilian sales of silent shotgun shells in the early 80s. Basically the shells were all metal (I think steel) with a rolled over lip at the top, the way old shells used to be. Inside there was a "pusher plate" over the powder. When the charge was fired the plate propelled the slug or shot forward and then the plate was "caught" by the lip. The theory being that the "bang" was largely contained within the shell.

I fired a few rounds. They weren't exactly quiet but certainly seemed ear safe enough when we tested them in a small room. On the other hand the slug (which was a steel spike with plastic fins) was stopped mid way in a phone book from say 10 feet away.

They weren't on the market very long until the Wv Boyz decided each round was a suppressor and each round required a $200 tax. I recall there was some discussion in SOF magazine about how to make reloadable silent shells; but that wasn't exactly realistic.

Chainsaw76
04-02-2018, 05:17 PM
I will allow the cat to peek slightly. We are planning to release a Remington 870 Patrol, which will be a more general purpose shotgun with many of the advances seen on the Stakeout. For that weapon, more general purpose ammo suits the mission (ie. Federal premium and Slugs). But for the Stakeout, whose mission is closer and which is not intended as a general purpose weapon, a more weapon-specific ammo choice is in order. Any buckshot will be devastating at 3-15 yards. I see 15 yards as the limit of envelope for the Stakeout, but inside that envelope nothing defeats it in terms of damage potential, speed, and maneuverability. The issue is controlling it with the normal heavy ammo used on a stocked weapon. While a reduced recoil choice may not be best for general purpose, it is a wise choice here.

Gabe

How much faster are you with the Stakeout than with a standard patrol shotgun at the stated 5-15 yard ranges.

Also, have you noted the speed of the"average" student once trained on the platform. As in is there a general percentage speed increase?

jim

jlwilliams
04-02-2018, 05:23 PM

I think that the factory short barrels are choked. I wonder if a proper, cylinder bore buckshot barrel would give better spread.

glocked
04-09-2018, 06:39 AM
http://www.winchester.com/products/shotshell-ammunition/advanced/aa-shotshell/pages/AA12FL8.aspx

Winchester AA subsonic has been around for years. Federal has one too for the metro system. Never tried either though.