PDA

View Full Version : Braced Glock 40

coastalcop
01-30-2017, 10:57 AM
Took an ENDO adapter and a dremel and went to work. The result has more flex at the bottom join (but I reduced the height of the post to reduce lever effect). Does not fit quite as well as it does on a gen 3 pistol, but it DOES work, allowing you a 6" barreled 10mm cannon with an RMR (man I wish they would offer in non mos package)

The tac boss decided that at least two team guys would field the Glock 40 as a duty weapon (he wanted pistol penetration capability) . With the Underwood ammo this thing is laser flat and has great penetration (ballistic Glass, IIIa armor etc) and with the 155gr hollowpoint loading has around 774 ft/lbs energy. Recoil is surprisingly light for the round (the extra inch of steel up fron makes a difference)

While I was happy with my 34, and didnt feel undergunned in 9mm, I was one of the two selected for the 10mm.

There are even a few kydex benders that will mold to your stats (glock 40 w rmr and x300 w grip switch)

Brent Yamamoto
01-30-2017, 12:03 PM
Excellent!! Imagination, innovation and the will/skill to MAKE something happen.

THIS is an example of focus on possibilities over limitations.

Papa
01-30-2017, 12:16 PM
How much muzzle flash/blast with the Underwood ammo that close to the face?

steve_k
01-30-2017, 12:25 PM
Nice set up! I take it the brace will carried seperstely?

coastalcop
01-30-2017, 12:27 PM
How much muzzle flash/blast with the Underwood ammo that close to the face?

Dont even notice it, or not any worse for me than the 34 in the same configuration. The Underwood stuff is surprisingly light recoiling for the energy it throws out there (in loadings at or under 155gr, dont know about the heavier stuff)

coastalcop
01-30-2017, 12:28 PM
Nice set up! I take it the brace will carried seperstely?

Just thrown in the unmarked, normally carried like any of the other pistols (though it does make my 34 look small).

Ted Demosthenes
01-30-2017, 08:38 PM
IIRC, SIZE......DOES matter.

That's what I've heard....[emoji41]

coastalcop
01-31-2017, 04:00 AM
IIRC, SIZE......DOES matter.

That's what I've heard....[emoji41]

I dont recall anyone complaining of an extra inch ;)

eaboecke
02-01-2017, 02:41 AM
What iron sights are you using? Are you able to co-witness them with the RMR?

coastalcop
02-01-2017, 05:19 AM
What iron sights are you using? Are you able to co-witness them with the RMR?

Trijicon suppressor sights, and yep they cowitness.

Scottman
02-06-2017, 04:25 PM
the 9 inch 10mm and 9x25 Dillon barrels are nice and I agree too pretty light recoil with brace for the energy output. 9x25 dillon with the 85 grain HPs etc shoots pretty flat out to 200 for a laptop bag PDW.

Rustwins88
02-08-2017, 01:55 PM
Hell yeah!

What a piece of kit this is! It is unfortunate that Glock only offers the G40 in the MOS configuration. I'm looking forward to some Suarez slides for 10mm G20.

In Ohio, you cannot hunt with rifle cartridges. Pistol rounds .357 and up, however, are fine as long as the bbl is over 5" IIRC. A 10mm with a brace would be quite optimal for this application.

LawDog
02-08-2017, 05:01 PM
Looking at the G40 next to the G34 was eye-opening. I suppose the G40 isn't a gun for appendix carry. At least not for normal-sized people.

Are the frame rails for the G20/21 the same dimension as the G40/41? The real question being, Can I put a G40/41 slide onto a (Gen 4) G20/21 frame? Also, would the SF model change the answer?

Rex G
02-08-2017, 05:16 PM
I, too, wish the G40 would be made available as non-MOS. Ever since I briefly owned an original-configuration G29, I have liked 10mm. (I sold it, with plans to eventually acquire the Short Frame version, back when it was not yet clear whether I would be allowed to qual with a modified weapon.)

I also wish my chief and firearms training guys would be open-minded toward braces and/or stocks, and red-dot optics on handguns; not that it will matter much longer, anyway, with retirement approaching. (I may have to retire by the end of June, to avoid a "recalculation" of my pension; otherwise, I would rather stay another year or two, or more, as long as I am sufficiently healthy to remain an asset, rather than a liability.)

coastalcop
02-09-2017, 04:55 AM
Looking at the G40 next to the G34 was eye-opening. I suppose the G40 isn't a gun for appendix carry. At least not for normal-sized people.

Are the frame rails for the G20/21 the same dimension as the G40/41? The real question being, Can I put a G40/41 slide onto a (Gen 4) G20/21 frame? Also, would the SF model change the answer?

You will still have to modify the adapter for a SF frame, dont know if it is as much as it is for a gen4 frame.

Currently unmodified its pretty much 20/21 gen 2/3 or mod for gen 4.

Hope that helps.

AFSOCCRNA
02-09-2017, 06:00 AM
Took an ENDO adapter and a dremel and went to work. The result has more flex at the bottom join (but I reduced the height of the post to reduce lever effect). Does not fit quite as well as it does on a gen 3 pistol, but it DOES work, allowing you a 6" barreled 10mm cannon with an RMR (man I wish they would offer in non mos package)

The tac boss decided that at least two team guys would field the Glock 40 as a duty weapon (he wanted pistol penetration capability) . With the Underwood ammo this thing is laser flat and has great penetration (ballistic Glass, IIIa armor etc) and with the 155gr hollowpoint loading has around 774 ft/lbs energy. Recoil is surprisingly light for the round (the extra inch of steel up fron makes a difference)

While I was happy with my 34, and didnt feel undergunned in 9mm, I was one of the two selected for the 10mm.

There are even a few kydex benders that will mold to your stats (glock 40 w rmr and x300 w grip switch)

Coastalcop, what exactly did you have to do to the Endo to make it fit the Gen 4? Like I said in the other forum entry, I'm interested in the PDW concept for my new 10mm. Thanks.

Yondering
02-09-2017, 02:25 PM
You will still have to modify the adapter for a SF frame, dont know if it is as much as it is for a gen4 frame.

Currently unmodified its pretty much 20/21 gen 2/3 or mod for gen 4.

Hope that helps.

Correct. The modification required is not quite as much for the gen3 SF as it is for the gen4, but either way it's still a lot of material to remove.

coastalcop
02-10-2017, 07:45 AM
Coastalcop, what exactly did you have to do to the Endo to make it fit the Gen 4? Like I said in the other forum entry, I'm interested in the PDW concept for my new 10mm. Thanks.

Get a dremel with a sanding wheel and lop a 1/4 inch off the top of the endo plug right off. Re round it then start working the edges and the back. Your going to be doing this at about 1/4 insertion intervals until it seats. I went a little deeper than this to make sure the upper arm of the brace interfaced well with the top of the grip.

The plug gets pretty thin and will not be as strong as originally designed, which is why that upper arm interface is so important to vector the recoil.

AFSOCCRNA
02-10-2017, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the info!

Scottman
02-11-2017, 05:38 PM
you can strengthen the area behind the pistol too