PDA

View Full Version : Gabe's new book

Modern Technique
02-11-2004, 12:44 PM
Well guys, i just got my copy of Gabe's new book - The Secrets of Reality-Based Gunfighting. Cost was $20 bucks delivered. he one thing I have to say is nice job! This was a self-published deal, and having done that in the past myself, I know how hard it is. Nevertheless, this is a good piece of work.

Gabe discusses many of the topics he has posted about, and adds to them considerably. This following the release of Combative Perspective makes for a great companion piece. Gabe mentions this book - The Secrets of Reality-Based Gunfighting - is bound to be contravesrial. That puts it mildly. I'll bet they are already using Gabe's face for head shot practice in at least two "major" schools.

If your goal is to learn how to gunfight, and to make your shooting skills into true fighting skills with a pistol, you need to read this book.

Its about 120 pages, spiral bound and with plenty of room to take notes. Gabe tells me there are at leats five other volumes coming out in the similar self-published "study guide" format. I'm already on the waiting list.

MT

michael
02-11-2004, 12:52 PM
I ordered mine last week, and I can't wait to get it!!

Gabriel Suarez
02-11-2004, 01:33 PM
Guys, I have just finished packing up 100 this afternoon. They go out in the morning!

michael
02-11-2004, 07:25 PM
Guys, I have just finished packing up 100 this afternoon. They go out in the morning!

Yeah!! I'll be waiting to ambush the postman.:D

michael
02-20-2004, 06:52 PM
The good postman brought my book today!! In one word, it's awesome!! I would like to urge anyone who hasn't ordered this book to get it. Gabe, I am amazed at all of the great info you have packed into it, and thanks for the autograph. If this is the curriculum for the CRG course, I can't wait until April in SC to attend. You've taken the best of many of the articles I have seen on WT and other places and combined it into one book. It's jammed with some of the most practical info I've ever seen on what real fighting is and from the perspective of a true warrior. Wow!!

Seppo Vesala
02-24-2004, 11:46 AM
I got my copy today; thanks, Gabe!

The book is very interesting. Although I have not have time to delve into it yet, there seem to be several very intersting articles, and I cant wait to read through it.

If I were to suggest any improvements, I would go for smaller size and more pages. The book is about 11" x 8,5", but I would prefer something around 8,5" x 5,5". Smaller size makes a book easier to read (and transport), in my opinion.

Im in a habit of covering my books with self-adhesive film, to make them more resistant to wear. As this book is spiral-bound, it makes it harder to apply the self-adhesive film. Therefore it would be beneficial if the covers would be of thicker and sturdier material.

But, as my criticism is directed towards the physical aspects of the book, you can guess Im very excited about the contents of the book!

Pale Horse
02-24-2004, 02:31 PM
I got mine yesterday and it is a great book so far.

Thank you Gabe for all your help with the new site, it should be up by the end of the week.

I think I have read half of it already and chaper 2 on the Combative Perspective. I walk away from both of the overwhelmed at the knowledge in both of them. I feel like I need to get out and try everything right now, but this weekend I will be praticing some of your drills.

I do have a question though. Shooting on the move, how do you do this accurately? I shoot competition and and running and shooting is the hardest thing for me to do accuratly. Could you shed some light on the dynamics of running and shooting please?

Thanks again for all you have done with the site and forums.

Keelan

michael
02-24-2004, 06:54 PM
I think the key is the "shooting platform". That is, keep your upper body relatively stationary and learn to move quickly by moving your legs while keeping your body from the waist up as still as possible.

The Searcher
02-25-2004, 11:36 AM
I just got my copy and started in on it. I'm hopping around and surfing it right now, before I settle down to read it end to end. Very impressive.

I'll post a review later if anyone is interested.

Erich
02-26-2004, 11:31 AM
I just ordered mine. I really enjoyed Tactical Pistol Marksmanship , and this one looks even better. Thanks for the heads-up!

Jim Fuller
02-28-2004, 04:45 AM
Having taught at one of the big schools for some time I find Gabe's book to be a refreshing change for the better. I could be wrong but I beleive that this is by far the most complete collection of true modern gunfighting skills and concepts availible today. Great Work Gabe, Jim Fuller

Seppo Vesala
02-29-2004, 04:04 AM
I'll post a review later if anyone is interested.

I am very interested, indeed. Although I own the book, it would be interesting to read the opinions of other people, also. Perhaps we can read several reviews from different people...

Erich
03-07-2004, 09:04 PM
Mine just came in the mail yesterday; I've read it cover to cover, and I am just so pleased that I ordered it. I immediately learned two things that had never occurred to me, and finally got one thing that I'd been told on occasion through my thick skull (because Suarez worded it so well).

It's just loaded with good stuff. There is some material repeated from Tactical Pistol Marksmanship, but it needs to be there in context in order for the discussion to move forward in The Secrets of Reality-Based Gunfighting. The chapters are more pared-down than in Suarez' other books. The info is meaty, and the writing style is more conversational. There are some editing snafus, but they do not detract from this book.

It's oversaid that a given book is difficult to put down. I can tell you that I got sunburn reading this book, because I just didn't want to stop reading long enough to pick it and my pitcher of water up and head inside. The short chapters are terrific, but the problem was that the next chapter always looked kind of neat, and Suarez' writing immediately drew me into it.

I was troubled by one thing. Throughout the book are many photos of Suarez looking very aggressive, pointing his (unloaded) pistol at the camera. No problems with that in and of itself, but YIKES! the guy's eyes look just like my suegro's! It's weird, but they have the same look around the eyes. I pointed this out to my wife, who agreed that they look remarkably alike around the eyes. Now I'm going to have nightmares about my father-in-law busting in on me with a pistola! (My wife points out that there should be no problem if I just continue to treat her wonderfully.)

Anyway, great book. I'm very glad I picked it up, and thankful to you gents for running this thread (which is where I learned about it).

Liberty or Death
03-08-2004, 01:41 AM

Gabe,

Just got back into town late last week and found it waiting for me among a stack of mail and read it from cover to cover over a twelve hour period.

Simply outstanding, sir.

As someone who has attended your Close Range Gunfighting Course, I found the book to be a VERY helpful reference and ideal for reviewing the cirriculum.

It was concise and totally padding free.

I look forward to the other volumes almost as much as attending your courses.

Gabriel Suarez
03-11-2004, 06:40 AM
Gents,

Thanks all very much for the kind words. Thus far we are closing in on the 1000 mark on sales of this book (whodathunk?!).

I'm planning on releasing a spanish version as well very soon. Plans are also underway for several other VCT (very cool things) that will be available to our students and members. Off the top of my still jet-lagged brain are

Vehicle gunfighting book
Improvised weapons book
An analysis of the Al Queda manual

There are a few other book ideas still in the works but these will be the next ones out. I'm also finally taking the plunge and will be doing accompanying videos to some of these.

On the hardware side of the equation, SI will be releasing some good stuff soon, but that cat must thus far stay in its appropriate house.

Thanks Again,

Gabe

PS. I made sure to smile in ALL the photos from Soain.:)>

michael
03-11-2004, 06:57 AM
Video's would be great!! I would happily purchase them.:)

The book ideas sound great too!

MTS
03-11-2004, 11:04 AM
PS. I made sure to smile in ALL the photos from Soain.:)>

Only because I kept poking you in the ribs and saying "SMILE !".:D

45ACP
03-12-2004, 05:50 AM
I received my copy of Reality Based Gunfighting about a week ago. I have read it through and highly recommend it to any serious student of defensive pistolcraft. Gabe Suarez presents his views concerning the use of the defensive pistol in a clear and sensible manner. While all may not agree with him on every issue, his thoughts are definitely "reality based", and should be seriously considered by all of us who carry a gun.As a "learner" in this discipline, I have read three of Gabe's previous books. He is, without question, worth listening to. There, that's my two cent's worth.

Bill Lance
03-12-2004, 07:27 PM
Just ordered mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seppo Vesala
03-13-2004, 09:37 AM
I'm also finally taking the plunge and will be doing accompanying videos to some of these.

Wow, is it Christmas already? :D

kforbus
03-16-2004, 04:24 PM
Well I have gotten mine and have read it twice so far. I think the book is great and will make you look at different options you may have never thought about. I will read it again in a few weeks just to see if I missed anything. Great job on the book!!!!!!!! Informative and eye opening.