PDA

View Full Version : Before there was Glock there was Mauser

EDELWEISS
12-08-2016, 04:42 AM
NOTHING is new...How cool is this--a turn of the 20th century scoped PDW

https://youtu.be/E6PVd_cuWcM

Heres a project Ive been playing with, its an Encore in 300Blk to get the smallest RIFLE package that I can suppress.

DogDoc
12-08-2016, 05:17 AM
Heres a project Ive been playing with, its an Encore in 300Blk to get the smallest RIFLE package that I can suppress.

I hate to rain on anyone's project parade...but...Why can't you just suppress an 8" 300 BLK pistol? Seems like 30 rounds would be handier than one. :poke:

Doc

EDELWEISS
12-08-2016, 05:44 AM
.....and heres the folding stoked Luger--proving that a shoulder stock doesnt have to be fat or use a AR buffer tube..

https://youtu.be/iWv5XysaPnU

EDELWEISS
12-08-2016, 05:45 AM
I hate to rain on anyone's project parade...but...Why can't you just suppress an 8" 300 BLK pistol? Seems like 30 rounds would be handier than one.

Doc
I do have a AR Pistol. This was part of my Encore phase that got out of control:woot:. What I like is that it was small and still a rifle (16") and well I guess cool too???

EDELWEISS
12-08-2016, 05:56 AM
Heres an interesting "contraption" for the 1911. It falls under the NOT a STOCK-stack category....

https://youtu.be/yz9jNE9svCA

3corners
12-08-2016, 06:09 AM
Or the BHP...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fh1rPOoCBs

DogDoc
12-08-2016, 09:24 AM
I do have a AR Pistol. This was part of my Encore phase that got out of control:woot:. What I like is that it was small and still a rifle (16") and well I guess cool too???

I was just busting your chops. You can think it's cool if you want. I think my Ruger Charger is cool. In fact I thought it was cool before I actually made it cool which is disturbing to me on several levels. :0)

DutchV
12-08-2016, 10:02 AM
I hate to rain on anyone's project parade...but...Why can't you just suppress an 8" 300 BLK pistol? Seems like 30 rounds would be handier than one.

Doc

There's places where you can't hunt with a pistol. The Encore would be fine.

DeltaCadet84
12-08-2016, 07:06 PM
I've been hooked on Forgotten Weapons too, Ian does a great job.

jlwilliams
12-09-2016, 04:53 AM
There's places where you can't hunt with a pistol. The Encore would be fine.

Exactly. I love single shot rifles for hunting, recreational shooting and so on. As a fighting gun, the day of the Martini and the Trapdoor Springfield was past before my grandfather was born and the day of the AR is today. That doesn't mean I (or Edelweiss for sure) can't have a ton of fun with obsolete iron.

I had the pleasure of shooting a sbr Contender a couple years back. The owner had a 300 whisper barrel and a reflex style can. I don't remember how long it was overall, but it was impressive.

DogDoc
12-09-2016, 05:50 AM
Exactly. I love single shot rifles for hunting, recreational shooting and so on.

I confess I do too. I've been curious about the TC for a long time and have often wondered how accurate they were.

jlwilliams
12-09-2016, 09:52 AM
They can be really accurate. The TC line is not built cheap like the Rossi, the CVA or the (now defunct) H&R single shot rifle line. Conversely, they don't cost as much as a Blazer. I think of the Contenders and Encores as the most practical modern option. I think they are between five hundred and a grand depending on the options. New barrels are about $300. IMO, unless you want an antique or a replica of an antique,they are the best single shot.

EDELWEISS
12-09-2016, 10:08 AM
They can be really accurate. The TC line is not built cheap like the Rossi, the CVA or the (now defunct) H&R single shot rifle line. Conversely, they don't cost as much as a Blazer. I think of the Contenders and Encores as the most practical modern option. I think they are between five hundred and a grand depending on the options. New barrels are about $300. IMO, unless you want an antique or a replica of an antique,they are the best single shot.

Agreed my only real complaint is its still a pistol at heart. Yeeeeeeeers ago TC had a real rifle system. Sadly it died off; but I liked it because it felt and looked like a rifle, assuming you want a pistol... OTOH I do like that the ENCORE can be a pistol in the morning and a rifle 5 minutes later.

--and if you want something close(r) to Blazer, TC has just come out with a bolt action "system". The barrels/bolts are interchangeable in whatever length action you choose. Its a pretty cool system IF you feel the need to change calibers. I like the idea, especially for traveling.

DutchV
12-09-2016, 11:24 AM
Agreed my only real complaint is its still a pistol at heart. Yeeeeeeeers ago TC had a real rifle system. Sadly it died off; but I liked it because it felt and looked like a rifle, assuming you want a pistol... OTOH I do like that the ENCORE can be a pistol in the morning and a rifle 5 minutes later.

--and if you want something close(r) to Blazer, TC has just come out with a bolt action "system". The barrels/bolts are interchangeable in whatever length action you choose. Its a pretty cool system IF you feel the need to change calibers. I like the idea, especially for traveling.

I understand the attraction of a breakdown rifle, but switching calibers seems counter-productive. You'd have to re-zero your scope for the new caliber. I will give Thompson credit for keeping the price reasonable on the Dimension.

Yondering
12-09-2016, 11:30 AM
I understand the attraction of a breakdown rifle, but switching calibers seems counter-productive. You'd have to re-zero your scope for the new caliber. I will give Thompson credit for keeping the price reasonable on the Dimension.

At least with the Contender & Encore platforms, the sights & scope are attached to the barrel so it's like swapping AR uppers, but switch barrel bolt actions or other platforms have never appealed to me for the reason you said. I'd rather just have another rifle with it's own scope, than have to re-zero every time.

DutchV
12-09-2016, 12:20 PM
At least with the Contender & Encore platforms, the sights & scope are attached to the barrel so it's like swapping AR uppers, but switch barrel bolt actions or other platforms have never appealed to me for the reason you said. I'd rather just have another rifle with it's own scope, than have to re-zero every time.

I was thinking of the T/C Dimension, which is a switch-barrel bolt action. List price is $650. Assuming the quality is good, that's very fair for a takedown centerfire rifle. The only other ones I know of are the Blaser R8 and custom Marlin leverguns. Price for either of those starts at $2,000 and climbs quickly. And that's without an optic. I guess if I really was a bush pilot in Alaska, I might see the value of the Marlin conversion. I'm not, so the stock Guide Gun works just fine.

The single shots are cool but I wouldn't feel comfortable using them to hunt anything dangerous.

EDELWEISS
12-10-2016, 06:54 PM
QUOTE=DutchV;1842048]I understand the attraction of a breakdown rifle, but switching calibers seems counter-productive. You'd have to re-zero your scope for the new caliber...[/QUOTE]

Guys I had a Mauser takedown in 300WM and 375H&H. It had TWO scopes in QD mounts that were repeatable. The whole point of a switch barrel gun is so you can travel lite and still have the capability of different cartridges for heavy/light game and long/short range.

I was thinking of the T/C Dimension, which is a switch-barrel bolt action. List price is $650. Assuming the quality is good, that's very fair for a takedown centerfire rifle. The only other ones I know of are the Blaser R8 and custom Marlin leverguns.......

The single shots are cool but I wouldn't feel comfortable using them to hunt anything dangerous.

I would have used a single shot for my lion hunt; but my choices were 9.3x74R (not legal in RSA), or 577NE, which even I have to admit is over gunned for lion. Double rifles are "historically correct" for Dangerous Game in Afrika and they only offer one additional shot; but the real fact of the matter is on a modern DG hunt there will be SEVERAL other shooters with you. In my case it was the land owner, his manager, a game warden, my PH, and his buddy who was along for his first taste of lion.

Yondering
12-10-2016, 09:25 PM
QUOTE=DutchV;1842048]but the real fact of the matter is on a modern DG hunt there will be SEVERAL other shooters with you.

Guided African hunts, sure, but not necessarily in a lot of other circumstances. If you live in an area where dangerous game hunting/shooting is a part of life rather than a vacation, not so much.