PDA

View Full Version : KAK brace on a Ruger Charger?

DogDoc
10-05-2016, 06:51 PM
It seems like people are putting buffer tubes and arm braces on all sorts of pistols.

I have a Ruger charger that I'd like to put a brace on. Can I just tweak the stock and do it or does one need some sort of special dispensation from the BATF?

DutchV
10-05-2016, 08:43 PM
It should be fine. Same as all the other pistols that don't really need a buffer tube, but have one for the brace. The braces are ATF approved.

CR Williams
10-06-2016, 06:31 AM
Move actually been thinking about this for a while. This one got my attention some time back and I've been planning it in the back of my head ever since.

Interesting. Is that a custom job or is there an actual adapter for it on the market somewhere?

glocked
10-06-2016, 09:59 AM
The PMACA chassis system for the 10/22 & charger would likely be ideal. Bunch of builds pictured at rimfirecentral.

For the DIY option, I think you'd be all set with just a "pig nose adapter".

glocked
10-06-2016, 12:03 PM
Interwebz pics

DogDoc
10-07-2016, 09:29 AM
Thanks guys. The PMACA looks like the ticket.

I know it's awful early to tell but do you think this could actually make a Ruger Charger...you know...cool?

Doc

glocked
10-08-2016, 07:30 AM
5" barreled charger+PMACA+KAK+small handstop+good red dot+silencer=AWESOME!

glocked
10-08-2016, 07:49 AM
Custom job. It's the Blackhawk 10/22 rifle stock modified with a folder and pistol tube. It was a bit of a project because the tube on the Blackhawk stock is not removable.

May actually be a modded Blackhawk Axiom charger stock, I think the 10/22 ones have a longer forearm.

DogDoc
10-20-2016, 05:29 PM
Here we go boys...From ugly and cheesey range toy to legitimate tool. :)

Before...
After...

PMACA Chassis
XLR Folder
KAK Tube and Blade
Cheapo Barska Red Dot I had lying around (for now).

I've always felt like I should like the Charger. Now I know why. :)

DogDoc
10-20-2016, 07:15 PM
So starts my search for a cheap charger... I've been thinking of this project exactly for at least a couple of years.

I have too. It seems that with the KAK, PMACA and XLR the planets have finally aligned to turn a goober of a gun into something quite cool.

JD Lester
10-24-2016, 07:04 PM
I have been thinking about one of these for awhile .... it is doable off the cheek straight out of the box. Add a co-witness AR height RDS and cheek the aft portion of the factory chassi.

v/r

JD

DogDoc
10-24-2016, 08:19 PM
I have been thinking about one of these for awhile .... it is doable off the cheek straight out of the box. Add a co-witness AR height RDS and cheek the aft portion of the factory chassi.

v/r

JD

It is doable. But it's nothing like having the tube and brace. :)

CR Williams
10-25-2016, 05:37 AM
I admit to being confused about the bipod on the Charger. That doesn't make it an AOW in BATF eyes?

DogDoc
10-29-2016, 05:41 AM
I admit to being confused about the bipod on the Charger. That doesn't make it an AOW in BATF eyes?

Apparently not. That's how Ruger sells them.

searcher 45
10-29-2016, 06:15 AM
Ruger makes the Charger in a take down model with a 10 inch threaded barrel that would be another option to work on.

The brace that is maybe 10 inches with fast disconnect or thin side fold, something like the Glock PDW brace sold here, none of the parts would be over 10inches for transport.

Add a red dot to the rail and other toys of choice.

Snap it together and snap it apart and back in bag or whatever.

This is just a concept :scratchchin: and may not work at all!!!!!

daniel87
10-29-2016, 06:17 AM
The bipod aids in prone/bench shooting,
Your not supposed to hold the bipod while shooting [emoji11] [emoji11]

Apparently not. That's how Ruger sells them.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

DogDoc
10-29-2016, 08:23 AM
Ruger makes the Charger in a take down model with a 10 inch threaded barrel that would be another option to work on.

The brace that is maybe 10 inches with fast disconnect or thin side fold, something like the Glock PDW brace sold here, none of the parts would be over 10inches for transport.

I don't know enough about the mechanics of the take-down model to know if it would work in the PMACA chassis. It would be great if it did though.

glocked
10-29-2016, 04:12 PM
I don't know enough about the mechanics of the take-down model to know if it would work in the PMACA chassis. It would be great if it did though.
IIRC, PMACA makes a chassis that works with the takedown models.

glocked
10-29-2016, 04:14 PM

I've thought that a QD mechanism like used for sling swivels (or air hoses) attached at the rear of an S&W m&p15/22 or charger with a male portion holding a pistol buffer tube with a KAK brace would be ideal.

glocked
11-08-2016, 07:08 AM
DogDoc,

Any range report yet?
Are you planning to keep the barrel at 10" or chop and rethread?
When/If I go this route, I'll probably go somewhere between 4.5"-6".
4.5" also has the benefit of keeping most bulk pack subsonic too.