PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19 Ported

Frogmaster
09-10-2016, 08:49 PM
Recently acquired a 19 with a ported barrel and slide. First one I have seen. I'm hesitant to upgrade, any thoughts? The trigger is terrible, but I'm weaning off kimbers so it may just be me. The slide is marked 19-C. Is this maybe a California trigger? Appreciate any information.

Greg Nichols
09-10-2016, 09:53 PM
C is for "compensated". If it were me I'd get an unported SI barell

Frogmaster
09-11-2016, 07:21 AM
I'm considering that. Wouldn't I need to replace the slide also? I sure want to replace the trigger! If you don't mind, what is the reasoning behind your recommendation?
Note: Moderator, I started this post in the wrong thread, please feel free to move it if you wish.
Greg, thanks for your response.

Greg Nichols
09-11-2016, 07:23 AM
Do close shooting of any kind and it can blow your hat and glasses off. No the slide wouldn't need changed if you didn't want too.

daniel87
09-11-2016, 09:37 AM
Porting is on top only
Compensating is on the top and side

Big difference

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Greg Nichols
09-11-2016, 10:06 AM
Porting is on top only

Big difference

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
And your point was what? The "C" model has the porting that's all, you're splitting irrelevant hairs

Vigilant
09-11-2016, 10:17 AM
Porting is on top only

Big difference

Sent from my SM-G900P using TapatalkAnd Glock themselves refer to the "C" models as compensated.

Greg Nichols
09-11-2016, 10:31 AM
And Glock themselves refer to the "C" models as compensated.

Correct

golucky
09-11-2016, 11:17 AM
Frogmaster,

A LE buddy first 19 was the "C" model. At the indoor range together, as usual its glock reliable and did all it was suppose to. As he is on the warrant team, turning off the lights for in the dark shooting his thoughts completely change due to a very nice flash from the ports that he had a hard time with follow up shots or even identifying whether multiple targets are friendly or not. Also, due to the flash; he decided NOT to do any type of close range shooting of any type whether is from hip or close contact. He stated he already shaved his face for the day. After that range session, the residue from the ports completely blackened out his front night sight. He eventually sold it and got another plain G19. Try it out and see if it works for you, both day and night.

Yondering
09-11-2016, 12:08 PM
Just change the barrel, as posted above.

They all need trigger work; so do most other pistol brands, that's just life.

cco45acp
09-11-2016, 06:44 PM
I know of a "high end" unit that used them for awhile. They said that the ports caused a loss of velocity so they didn't get the terminal performance they wanted. They amped up the ammo to compensate. Ended up having the same muzzle flip as a normal Glock 9mm. So they went back to "normal" Glocks and "normal ammo" and called it good. At least that is how they told it.

H60DoorGunner
09-11-2016, 07:46 PM
Upgrade as well with an SI F&S trigger. The thing is pure gold.

Yondering
09-11-2016, 08:22 PM
I know of a "high end" unit that used them for awhile. They said that the ports caused a loss of velocity so they didn't get the terminal performance they wanted. They amped up the ammo to compensate. Ended up having the same muzzle flip as a normal Glock 9mm. So they went back to "normal" Glocks and "normal ammo" and called it good. At least that is how they told it.

While I certainly believe that's what you were told, the porting in factory Glock barrels doesn't cause that much velocity loss. There is a small loss, but not enough to actually matter; even if the bore lost all pressure at the ports (which it doesn't), velocity from a 19C would still be about the same or higher than from a G26.

Keep in mind that "tactics guys" are not necessarily "gun/ballistics guys", although they may think it qualifies them to give advice anyway.

Greg Nichols
09-12-2016, 07:26 AM
While I certainly believe that's what you were told, the porting in factory Glock barrels doesn't cause that much velocity loss. There is a small loss, but not enough to actually matter; even if the bore lost all pressure at the ports (which it doesn't), velocity from a 19C would still be about the same or higher than from a G26.

Keep in mind that "tactics guys" are not necessarily "gun/ballistics guys", although they may think it qualifies them to give advice anyway.

I certainly am not a ballistics guy. To me all those details are irrelevant after you answer the only 2 questions that matter, Does it go bang, and is it consistent

ShopMonkey
09-12-2016, 09:08 AM
i'm gonna go ahead and start this off with, I was in the military, because its monday so forgive me, but this may be the funniest thing i've read since recent events in scottsdale. i'm also a tac guy, and by nature of the degree and certs that i dumped my gi bill into, a ballistics guy because i have to be, i just don't do ballistics programming very often unless i have to. first, there is no such thing as a california trigger. a "C" notation on any firearm has never denoted california, however you may see the the occasional CA, which does. second, weaning off a kimber isnt hard, have you tried just about anything else on the market? it's kinda like being scared of switching from brussel sprouts to a steak. there's not really a good reason to port anything 9mm, don't suggest competition, because you should be using a threaded brake.

Paper Shredder
09-12-2016, 09:38 AM
There is a very easy way to workaround this whole "C" nonsense..... SI 319 w RMR slide assembly with a SI match barrel.

BKern
09-12-2016, 10:29 AM
The slide is good to go, put an unported barrel in it and the whole gun is good to go. The "C" models were a fad and Glock has now discontinued them. Our tactical unit had them for a year and got rid of them. The idea was to cut the muzzle flip down, which it did to an extent, particularly in .40 caliber. But there are trade offs.

Firing from a retention position close to the body can get unpleasant unless you make position adjustments, and in a 0-5 feet environment that is not something I would want to have to be concerned about. The hurt should only be going one direction, not three.

splithoof
09-12-2016, 07:48 PM
We illustrate the effects of ported barrel/slide Glock pistols this way: Have the shooter extend their sidearm to a firing position, pointed downrange, holding steady; an empty cardboard cartridge box is then placed on top of the slide, carefully balanced, and the weapon fired. The empty box always ends up in pieces, and burned. It is a great illustration.
When shooting from the retention position, that type of porting I have seen cause small burns to the neck, and particles getting into the eyes. Not nice.

warriorscience4u
09-13-2016, 05:26 PM
124 grain ammo, go to the range, repeat. Have fun.

Frogmaster
09-15-2016, 08:09 AM
Thanks guys for your input. Range time last weekend proved the functionality, so now looking forward to SI barrel and slide, with internals and trigger upgrade. Just ordered an Archangel, hoping it works aiwb on my skinny frame. Again, sorry I hung this on the wrong thread.

CaptBeach
09-15-2016, 08:27 AM
IIWM... (IF IT WERE ME) I would sell the entire top half and upgrade to an SI V319 slide and SI match barrel. After selling the slide and barrel you could probably do it for about $200 additional out of pocket. Then pick up an RMR and change your whole world bro...

Frogmaster
09-15-2016, 09:39 AM
Rt, wanna buy it? Sounds like a great plan!

Greg Nichols
09-15-2016, 09:45 AM
IIWM... (IF IT WERE ME) I would sell the entire top half and upgrade to an SI V319 slide and SI match barrel. After selling the slide and barrel you could probably do it for about $200 additional out of pocket. Then pick up an RMR and change your whole world bro...

I've actually done this twice. Not like I'm going to put the OEM back on.

Yondering
09-15-2016, 10:53 AM

if you're gonna do that, might as well just sell the gun and start with a new frame, that's all that would be left.

Dropping a different barrel in that OEM slide is all he really needs to correct the compensated barrel though.