PDA

View Full Version : Ten ring ,Glock safety

canonsix
08-06-2016, 07:16 AM
I am looking at this safety for my Glock PDW. Any of you guys have any experience with it. Thanks Doug

Gabriel Suarez
08-06-2016, 09:42 AM
Why do you want a safety for your Glock?

That is usually the response. Well...I have two Glocks with that on them. The ones I used were Cominolli. We were selling and installing them at one point.

Why do you want a safety for your Glock?

1). On a typical urban combat pistol, there is no need for one at all and may be totally undesirable in that EDC/CCW/CT context.

2). On a PDW Glock that is run with a stock/arm brace I think it is essential and I have written as much in the past. A Glock PDW without a safety is like an MP5 without a safety. And adding a NPE holster is not as workable. You guys do as you please, but MY PDW has a safety and I think quite useful since my PDW is run like a rifle.

3). On a pistol that is carried holsterless...or rests by you holsterless. My SI-335 is my backwoods pistol. I am not going to wear my LBE into the hammock or sleeping bag, and keeping the pistol in its holster as I sleep is cumbersome. So the safetied SI-335 lays on the deck right next to my face.

That is when...and why.

canonsix
08-06-2016, 09:54 AM
Sorry, I should have been clearer.It is for a Glock `17 PDW( slide is at SI now) , to be used as a PDW only. Doug

Gabriel Suarez
08-06-2016, 10:18 AM
On a PDW Glock that is run with a stock/arm brace I think it is essential and I have written as much in the past. A Glock PDW without a safety is like an MP5 without a safety. And adding a NPE holster is not as workable. MY PDW has a safety and I think quite useful since my PDW is run like a rifle.

canonsix
08-06-2016, 10:34 AM
I have read your articles on the safety you have,my question is directed toward the Ten Ring version.Doug

daniel87
08-06-2016, 12:28 PM
gabe tries to sell the best he can find.

when its not the best its cause of mfgr qc like the veper cluster.

buy his thats why he is reccomending it.
he says he tests them thoroughly

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

canonsix
08-06-2016, 03:52 PM
I do not see any Glock safety's in the gear section.Am I missing something???? Thanks Doug

Gabriel Suarez
08-06-2016, 05:19 PM
The ones I used were Cominolli. We were selling and installing them at one point.

Apparently guys think some add on holster will work better and we sold very few, so I stopped carrying them. When I do video on the PDW, I think everyone will realize the safety is an asset.

Scottman
08-06-2016, 07:32 PM
looking forward to that Video Gabe Suarez !

bassbones
08-08-2016, 12:16 PM
I really hope Gabe brings them back, my PDW plan has been slow going and I just now ordered the 34 slide. I got the frame 2 weeks ago. No one in my area will do the install.

JB

canonsix
08-10-2016, 06:14 PM
I sent a frame fo TenRing.I will report how it works.Doug

canonsix
08-22-2016, 02:49 PM
Got the frame back from TenRing.Seems to work well,my upper is still at SI.Further reports when the upper comes back. Doug

canonsix
08-31-2016, 02:39 PM
The safety is working well.It is very easy to use,to a 1911 user like me.The swipe of the safety is so instinctive .So I carry/use the PDW as a very handy subgun. Doug

krav51
09-01-2016, 02:30 AM
Got the frame back from TenRing.Seems to work well,my upper is still at SI.Further reports when the upper comes back. Doug

Ive had several of these over the years until i switched to appendix carry and discovered that unlike drawing from 4 o'clock,my thumb would naturally position itself under the safety during the draw and require an awkward repositioning to get on top of the safety.This was proven to be problematic during force on force.I would have saved some time if i had just listened to the guys here:)It did work well though and felt much like a 1911.I will say that over time the tension spring weakens the the engagement becomes mushy.Comminolli replaced the spring free of charge after several years though.

canonsix
09-01-2016, 08:04 AM
krav51,I agree.The only safety I have is for the Glock ,used as a PDW.My others do not have it.Doug

barnetmill
09-07-2016, 10:12 AM
The ones I used were Cominolli. We were selling and installing them at one point.

Apparently guys think some add on holster will work better and we sold very few, so I stopped carrying them. When I do video on the PDW, I think everyone will realize the safety is an asset.
I had not thought glock PWD concept all of the way through and now understand the need for a safety. While here my first response was yes to use something like your concealment holster.http://www.onesourcetactical.com/images/products/detail/NPE_4.jpgBut that looks clumsy and could create issues with snagging. Thing is when carrying the glock without the arm brace I do not want a safety on it for tactical reasons. The best I can come up with for using the armbrace, when it is needed fixed in the gun is to use decent trigger discipline and otherwise detach the arm brace and holster the gun. operating some glocks with a safety and others without is not for me. It is not KISS. As Harry Callahan said "Man has to know his limitations" and I have a lot of them.