PDA

View Full Version : PDW kit for G26?

gatorgrizz27
07-25-2016, 04:08 PM
With recent happenings, I'm shifting towards a single 24/7, NPE, "gunfight capable" weapon instead of my Sig P229/S&W J-Frame combo. Leaning heavily towards a Glock 26 with a red dot currently.

I carry AIWB, but only have a 32" waist, so the grip of my P229 protrudes visibly, while my wife's G26 is nearly invisible. The shorter slide length of the 26 is also needed as I spend a lot of time in and out of the car.

I realize the benefits of a Glock PDW, and may still purchase a full size Glock to convert and keep in the truck, but a kit for the 26 would be ideal.

From looking at the current kit, it seems the simplest/best option would be a clamp that attaches around a 33-rd magazine with 4 allen head screws and attaches to the existing PDW adapter.

Obviously the compromise is that the arm brace would be permanently attached to the magazine, but for the intended use I would think it would be sufficient. It would be fantastic to go from NPE weapon to PDW with a simple mag change.

Any interest in this, or reason why it won't work well? I'd be curious to see an overlay of a 26 with the PDW kit if anyone has them.

Yondering
07-25-2016, 04:19 PM
- I wouldn't want to put that kind of load on the mag catch (meaning the loads it would see under recoil)

- I don't think you'd be able to make the connection solid enough to work well, without also causing malfunctions.

Honestly, I think the better solution is learning to carry/conceal a G19. You'll find a number of people on this forum (myself included) have 32" waists, plus or minus a bit either way, and carry G19 or G17 pistols daily.

gatorgrizz27
07-25-2016, 04:36 PM
Valid points, I had assumed the magazine would transfer the load directly to the frame, but it may cause malfunctions. I've never tried to misalign a 33rd mag and see if it would fail to feed.

I'm open to carrying a larger gun, I just don't see how I can conceal it in an NPE without some sort of cover garment. I work for myself so NPE's don't apply to my job, but I want to be able to carry everywhere that there isn't a metal detector, some of which would just ask you to leave, some of which have larger consequences.

I am 6' and 160 lbs, so my chest doesn't extend past my waist to allow a shirt to drape. I don't get any larger lifting weights, just stronger. Cover garments aren't an option here as it is in the 80's-90's the majority of the year. The problem is the grip extending straight out the the side, while my waist curves. It is quite noticeable with my P229, I haven't tried a 19 though. I have also tried chanting the holster, it helps a little but causes other problems.

Obviously I can just carry a G26, even if it can't be converted to a PDW, it would be a nice bonus though.

IANative
07-25-2016, 05:07 PM
Valid points, I had assumed the magazine would transfer the load directly to the frame, but it may cause malfunctions. I've never tried to misalign a 33rd mag and see if it would fail to feed.

I'm open to carrying a larger gun, I just don't see how I can conceal it in an NPE without some sort of cover garment. I work for myself so NPE's don't apply to my job, but I want to be able to carry everywhere that there isn't a metal detector, some of which would just ask you to leave, some of which have larger consequences.

I am 6' and 160 lbs, so my chest doesn't extend past my waist to allow a shirt to drape. I don't get any larger lifting weights, just stronger. Cover garments aren't an option here as it is in the 80's-90's the majority of the year. The problem is the grip extending straight out the the side, while my waist curves. It is quite noticeable with my P229, I haven't tried a 19 though. I have also tried chanting the holster, it helps a little but causes other problems.

1. Have you tried a G19 in a Zach/NPE holster?
2. Have you experimented w/ different chest exercises and/or set/rep combinations?

gatorgrizz27
07-25-2016, 05:40 PM
1. Have you tried a G19 in a Zach/NPE holster?
2. Have you experimented w/ different chest exercises and/or set/rep combinations?

I have not had a chance to try that holster, but the only way I can see solving my particular problem with the grip length would be a holster that was able to suck the grip into my abs. Basically something where the second belt loop stuck out further from the pistol than the first, allowing the belt to torque to pistol into an angled position.

I'd be willing to try a particular chest regimen, but the standard bench press/chest fly with weights or push-ups/dips with body weight didn't gain anything in terms of shape/mass. I get stronger, just not bigger. I do eat a lot of meat/ protein/clean calories and tried both protein shakes and creatine when working out heavily.

I own a construction company, so my standard day is much more active than a desk job as well.

TMAC
07-25-2016, 06:00 PM
Have you considered a belly band type holster? It definitely is not fast but you could conceal probably better with your body type. I've used one before and can carry the glock just below your armpit and it conceals very nicely. Take a look and see if it could work for you.

Clawalex
07-25-2016, 06:23 PM
I have not had a chance to try that holster, but the only way I can see solving my particular problem with the grip length would be a holster that was able to suck the grip into my abs. Basically something where the second belt loop stuck out further from the pistol than the first, allowing the belt to torque to pistol into an angled position.

I'd be willing to try a particular chest regimen, but the standard bench press/chest fly with weights or push-ups/dips with body weight didn't gain anything in terms of shape/mass. I get stronger, just not bigger. I do eat a lot of meat/ protein/clean calories and tried both protein shakes and creatine when working out heavily.

I own a construction company, so my standard day is much more active than a desk job as well.

I'm a pretty easy gainer but have friends who have that problem but unless you have a glandular problem you just need to eat even more... like alot.

Yondering
07-25-2016, 08:03 PM

Obviously I can just carry a G26, even if it can't be converted to a PDW, it would be a nice bonus though.

Sounds like you're pretty much the same size as me, by the numbers anyway, with the same high metabolism and problems bulking up. Having a flat stomach still helps a lot though.

I suggest that your concealment problem may be more related to the holster, and possibly where you carry. If the grip of a G19 sticks out to the side, visibly, try shifting the pistol closer to center (like 1:00, not 2:00), and maybe try a different holster. I don't like the Zach or NPE holsters for all-day carry, but try one of the other SI options.

Hawaiian shirts or other patterns help a lot. Also, ditch the tight t-shirts that the "light in the loafers" crowd likes, if you wear those; you won't conceal much of anything in those.

The only time I have comfort issues is just crouching down; it's just something to deal with.

Danneskjold
08-08-2016, 11:40 PM
You can tape a piece of rubber to one side of the holster, such that the handle of the pistol gets angled in towards your body. There have been photo heavy threads about that on here before.

You can also take the advice given by Gabe and T-Nation, and try dips instead of bench press for chest development. I personally despise dips, but I don't need to do them yet because I'm not as skinny as you. Eating more also helps.

And I would also suggest taking some selfies and posting them here - odds are good you're not printing as badly as you think.

valian
08-09-2016, 11:34 AM
I attach rubber/gel heel cups for shoes to the lower part of the holster with heavy duty adhesive Velcro so I can easily remove it when ever I want for the effect of canting the grip toward the body. I also rotate the holster to meet the front of my hip bone so that the grip does not protrude to the side so much. I am the same size as OP and rhis works well for me.

You can tape a piece of rubber to one side of the holster, such that the handle of the pistol gets angled in towards your body. There have been photo heavy threads about that on here before.

You can also take the advice given by Gabe and T-Nation, and try dips instead of bench press for chest development. I personally despise dips, but I don't need to do them yet because I'm not as skinny as you. Eating more also helps.

And I would also suggest taking some selfies and posting them here - odds are good you're not printing as badly as you think.

Clawalex
08-09-2016, 02:54 PM
- I wouldn't want to put that kind of load

Honestly, I think the better solution is learning to carry/conceal a G19. You'll find a number of people on this forum (myself included) have 32" waists, plus or minus a bit either way, and carry G19 or G17 pistols daily.

A few of us even cary 21s

GorillaMedic
11-08-2016, 08:57 PM
Old thread, I know, but wanted to chime in. My daily carry is a G26 that got the red dot treatment and an extended, threaded barrel a few years ago from Suarez. I love this gun, but constantly regret not going with a G19. The difference in accuracy is remarkable, and the lack of a rail is a significant downside. I would love to carry with an XC-1, but more practically, I can't rely on this gun at the bedside because I have got to have a weapon mounted light.

Holster choice does make a huge impact. I can conceal a 19 under a tshirt no problem with the right holster, but more typical holsters readily print a much smaller gun in the same apparel. For reference, I'm 5'-6" and a semi-muscular 180.

I've seen a lot of friends with similar proportions to you bulk out fast once they found the right program and, most importantly, once they started eating enough. I would caution against sinking the substantial cash into a red dot G26 before giving a 19 a closer look.

glocked
11-09-2016, 05:36 PM
GorillaMedic,

Have you tried a TLR-6 for a light on a g26?

GorillaMedic
11-10-2016, 09:26 PM
I have not; now that I've acquired the body shape/size to be able to conceal a G19, I've kind of set my mind on switching to one. Don't want to have to redo my holsters for the TLR-6/G26 in the meantime.

manonfire1007
11-21-2016, 06:49 PM
Ok, so here are lots of comments about carry my another gun. The OP asked about using a 26 in a pdw capacity. Anyone try it yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

docholliday13
11-21-2016, 09:04 PM
Don't overthink this one. I am practically the same build as you and have been carrying a 19 for well over a year everywhere I go. If I have been able to conceal in a swimsuit and tight shirt and have my friend ask why I wasn't carrying (haha) there is no reason you can't either with a bit of practice. I'm not wearing shirts designed for conceal carry, I just use what I have available and make it work. I have only used a zach style holster and have switched between the paracord and snap button means of attachment. For a long time I just used a cheap wal-mart quality belt to carry before I got my current one. Don't worry about trying to bulk up to carry. Just start and you will figure it out. (but definitely start working out if you are not already)