PDA

View Full Version : Sling Ding legal on Pistols?

Scottman
07-02-2016, 01:47 PM
I was wondering if the "sling ding" type setup with pvc or the product was legal on m4 type pistols, glock pdws etc??

Thanks WT,

DutchV
07-02-2016, 01:49 PM
Got a photo of this ?

Scottman
07-02-2016, 02:08 PM
http://www.tyrtactical.com/products/details/accessories-sr/tyr-tactical-sling-ding/

DopeForWind
07-02-2016, 02:35 PM
I don't see why it wouldn't be legal, but it looks kinda retarded, maybe a solution in search of a problem? That being said I'm no expert so if SI staff or someone similar sees the merit then I would be more than happy to hear them out.

Scottman
07-02-2016, 02:37 PM
lol

yeah just wondering if it's legal on the pistols

BKern
07-02-2016, 06:24 PM
I'm with callmebubba, might be handy once in a while, but in the way most of the time. I would have to experiment with it to say for sure, but I'm not optimistic.

barnetmill
07-02-2016, 07:09 PM
• Affords more positions for your hand than a standard vertical fore grip.

Is it considered a vertical fore grip?
From ATF website: May 4, 2006
ADDING A VERTICAL FORE GRIP TO A HANDGUN
“Handgun” is defined under Federal law to mean, in part, a firearm which has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand…. Gun Control Act of 1968, 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(29).

ATF has long held that by installing a vertical fore grip on a handgun, the handgun is no longer designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand. Therefore, if individuals install a vertical fore grip on a handgun, they are “making” a firearm requiring registration with ATF’s NFA Branch. Making an unregistered “AOW” is punishable by a fine and 10 years’ imprisonment. Additionally, possession of an unregistered “AOW” is also punishable by fine and 10 years’ imprisonment.

JRude
07-03-2016, 01:12 AM
Attempting to apply logic to firearms regulations is a dangerous game, Bub.

coastalcop
07-03-2016, 06:22 AM
Logic rarely being the engine that propels government

EDELWEISS
07-03-2016, 07:13 AM
Well it would have been an easier "sell" that is legal and just a sling, if the idiots hadn't advertised it as a place for your hand. F-ing Asshats! I'm gonna say its only legal UNTIL some plastic shoe wearing donut eater goes on U-tube saying what a great hand grip it makes.... then its gonna be banned! Actually it wasn't a bad idea if you like vertical grips...especially on really short barrels

DutchV
07-03-2016, 05:43 PM
You could always write to the ATF and ask their opinion. Might not be what you were hoping for, but at least you'd have the answer.

LawDog
07-03-2016, 09:39 PM
You could always write to the ATF and ask their opinion. Might not be what you were hoping for, but at least you'd have the answer.Usually, it is better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

A general principle of statutory construction is that ambiguities in the statute are interpreted against the drafter (the government) and in favor of the non-drafting party (that's you). The law specifically address VFGs, not sling accessories. So I think you'd be good. Can I be certain of that? Nope. Absent a appellate court opinion or an administrative opinion from ATF, it's only an educated guess. But my instinctive reason for being comfortable with it just comes down to this: Who's going to catch you? When was the last time the ATF inspected your pistol?

Gunfixr
07-04-2016, 07:00 AM
While I do look at these kinds of things a lot, and we have a print copy of the nfa handbook, and have talked to atf regularly, I feel pretty confident that it is legal, until I see something otherwise.
However, things can always change, the brace is a fine example of that.
If they had a letter from atf, you can believe it would state so in the ad, and you'd get a copy if you purchase one.
So, there is, most likely, no letter. You can write one yourself, if you wish. But, they must answer it, and they will research a fair bit before doing so. So, there is no guarantee you will get the answer you want, and it can be changed later.
From my research, a "vertical grip" is a rigid vertical, or close to vertical device that is rigidly mounted, and can be gripped by the hand. Gripped, as in your hand wrapped around it. There is a letter from atf stating that the magpul afg is legal on handguns, and while it is not stated, I believe this is due to the fact that you cannot "grip" it in the normal sense. You kind of cup it, like a forearm, which is also legal.

Now, if you and 7,999 of your friends post YouTube videos showing how great a grip it is, and telling how it gets around aow laws, well........

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk