PDA

View Full Version : Boots

Ragsbo
02-07-2004, 07:40 PM
I am looking for a comfortable pair of boots for work. They have to be black combat style and I prefer at least 9-10 inches tall. Problem is I have a long narrow foot and find it hard to find boots that fit. Plus I am on my feet 12 hours, mostly on concrete. Any suggestions?

VaughnT
02-07-2004, 08:13 PM
Ragsbo, I'm in a similar situation in that I'm on my feet all day (I do a ton of walking on this job) and need something that will do right by my toes! I tried Magnum and Thoroughgood and most of the others. None lasted long in the armored-car environment.

On a fluke, I tried the Original SWAT zippper-side boot. www.originalswat.com

Man, have I been impressed!! Most boots require a break-in period wherein you can be reasonably assured that you'll be in some amount of pain and/or discomfort. Not with OS boots!!

Brand new, I can walk all day long in the OS boots and not worry a bit. They take a great polish with minimal effort and the uppers have never busted a zipper or popped a seam. The same cannot be said for the competition. And on top of that, there is a ton of padding in the sole. I spend too much time on my feet to not appreciate comfort and I'm here to tell you that no Dr. Shole's insert can even begin to compare to what OS offers.

In fact, one of the negatives listed below is a negative solely because the cushioning is so thick that they had to skimp on the thickness of the hard rubber tread material. They could have given you a thicker, longer-lasting tread, but they chose to give you a comfortable walk instead. Kudos to them.

There are only two negatives regarding the OS line. Though I can only speak from my experience with the zipperside boots, I can assume that they all use the same tread rubber and that that material is a bit slick on wet tile/concrete/asphalt. In the course of my duties, I literally walk on ever type of surface known to man and this last pair of boots has been the most slip-resistant. But I have learned to watch my step, regardless. The most dangerous territory is diesel-slicked asphalt.....it's like skating on ice, literally.

The second negative is tread wear. I can't speak for everyone, but working off an armored car means a lot of walking, and I mean a LOT. Generally speaking, the tread will be long gone before the uppers show even the slightest wear. Seems like a waste of boot, if you ask me. I should inquire as to whether or not they are re-soleable.

As it is, if you keep the boots polished and don't abuse them on sharp edges, the upper leather and pack-cloth will look as new when the sole is as smooth as a baby's bottom. I've worn through three pairs in three years, and though I didn't care for the uppers as I should have, the tread was gone nonetheless.

What testimony can I offer that you might believe? Many boots on the market, just look at a Gall's catalog, are far more expensive and therefore must be better made. Many boots have the SEAL/GreenBeret/Det1 logo/name attached to them and therefore must be reliable and proven in combat. Many boots just look meaner by reason of design.

Here's my bottom line: The tread wears off more quickly than I might like. The sole material is slick on some surfaces, which I have to walk on and across while doing my job. The price is about $25 greater than Magnum and others. But....

I WILL NOT WEAR ANYTHING BUT ORIGINAL SWAT BOOTS.

If, as I hope, I travel to the middle east this summer, you can bet that I'll have OS boots with me.

Guns or gear, I buy the best regardless of cost. I buy Original SWAT.

DaveJames
02-07-2004, 08:17 PM
Danner's, are the only thing I wear, they are resoleable, and well made

John Silver
02-08-2004, 06:15 AM
I second the Danner vote. When it comes to boots, they are the only one's I'll buy. I'm partial to the Ft. Lewis model.

www.danner.com

Clay
02-08-2004, 10:34 AM
www.wellco.com

www.bellevilleshoe.com

www.altama.com

MrMurphy
02-09-2004, 05:02 PM
I've got two pairs of the 6" Original SWAT boots. Two years as a news photographer, I wore the crap out of them and they still have the tread at 70% condition. They've been rained on, run through brush, concrete, mud, asphalt, everything. I've walked through the aftermath of brush fires, around numerous crime scenes (blood, gunk, etc) crash sites (hydraulic fluid, brake fluid, everything else) and the majority of the time, the boots have never had a problem (brake fluid on concrete is slippery though).

Both pairs are still in good shape, and I wear them just about every day. Well worth the investment. Danners are better, but Original SWATs are also excellent. I used to hump 70lbs of camera, tripod and other toys daily in them and they sure kept my feet comfortable.

Grey Wolf
02-09-2004, 08:10 PM
A third vote for the Original SWAT boots's. My experiences are similr to others here.

I did have a friend have trouble with one of the soles on his boot coming apart. But for the comfort nad price I don't think you can go wrong.

Stay safe,

Grey Wolf

Ragsbo
02-10-2004, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the info. Problem now is to locate a store near by so i can try them on. I have tried to order them but that don't work.

MrMurphy
02-11-2004, 02:55 PM
I ordered mine and they said I had thirty days to try them out and if I didn't like them, full refund. I wore them a week and said I'm keeping them!

Ragsbo
02-11-2004, 05:56 PM
I ordered mine and they said I had thirty days to try them out and if I didn't like them, full refund. I wore them a week and said I'm keeping them!

Where did you order your from?

VaughnT
02-12-2004, 06:00 PM
Mr.Murphy, how did you get your treads to last so long? I know I walk a lot on the job, but I didn't think I was walking that far.

Anyone know if OS boots are resoleable? I'd definitely consider taking better care of the uppers if I could get the rubber replaced when it was worn to bare.

Danners? They do have some good looking boots on their website. But at two and three times the cost of OS boots? They'd better be super comfy as I can't imagine anything being more comfortable than the OS design with all that padding under the soles. Are they really worth what they are asking?

I don't mind spending money on my work gear (god only knows how much I've spent on gun mags and oddities I just don't use), but I'm trying to see what Danner does that OS doesn't. Is Danner made in America? OS is built in China and I'd be pretty happy to change to another boot for that reason alone.

Still, you'd have to be really, really good to beat the OS for price and comfort.

Alexii
02-14-2004, 08:04 PM
Only the high end (read: more expensive) Danners are made in the US. My Danner Striker boots are made in China.