PDA

View Full Version : Conversion project 9mm PDW problems

gmorgan
04-12-2016, 11:30 PM
Need a little advice.

I have converted my G22 to a 9mm threaded barrel to operate as my "convertible" 9mm or 40 cal PWD.

When I converted the G22 I replaced the .40 cal extractor, extractor bearing, ejector and ejector housing with G17 / 9mm parts, I also replaced the OEM G22 recoil rod and spring assembly with a stainless steel G17 rod and spring assembly and I am using Glock G17 17rd and 33rd, "happy stick" magazines.

While at the range to test fire the "new" configuration and firing a combination of Winchester 115gr white box, corbon 115gr DPX and 100gr PowR Ball in my freshly and properly lubricated conversion "Break Free", I experienced SEVERAL FTF and light primer strike failures in ALL the ammunition types across the board.

I'm looking for suggestions as to what adjustments and or parts replacements / upgrades I might further perform to improve the reliability of this PDW 9mm "conversion".

Thanks for any suggestions

Morgan

tact999
04-13-2016, 01:30 AM
I think conversions are a bad idea personally. Make it easy on yourself and just buy a 9mm Glock instead.

By any chance is it a Lone Wolf barrel? If so.....there's your answer.

Jon Payne
04-13-2016, 04:38 AM
If it's Lone Wolf barrel all bets are off. I would use either factory or SI recoil spring assemblies. You'd be better off with a true 9mm slide and barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaptBeach
04-13-2016, 05:38 AM
While it can be done I have come to the conclusion that...why...if it were me I would buy a G17, sell the conversion barrel barrel for $100 or so and run the 17 like I stole it. AND have 2 Glocks and zero headaches.

shtgnr
04-13-2016, 08:14 AM
Don't use the Winchester 115gr white box. For some reason it does not function well with barrel conversions.
I shoot a G22 and I have a complete G19 upper for the 9mm option. Never had a problem with it.

gmorgan
04-13-2016, 08:30 AM
I still run into the problem of needing a threaded G17 barrel to run my 9mm, to the best of my info Glock has no such OEM barrel available. Also the barrel in question is a Storm Lake.

CaptBeach
04-13-2016, 09:07 AM
Glock DOES make a threaded G17 barrel albeit with metric threading...OST is supposed to have or has a G17 threaded option at the Gear Store...SL and KKM also offer every Glock option, threaded or non.

Yondering
04-13-2016, 09:18 AM
Need a little advice.

I have converted my G22 to a 9mm threaded barrel to operate as my "convertible" 9mm or 40 cal PWD.

When I converted the G22 I replaced the .40 cal extractor, extractor bearing, ejector and ejector housing with G17 / 9mm parts, I also replaced the OEM G22 recoil rod and spring assembly with a stainless steel G17 rod and spring assembly and I am using Glock G17 17rd and 33rd, "happy stick" magazines.

While at the range to test fire the "new" configuration and firing a combination of Winchester 115gr white box, corbon 115gr DPX and 100gr PowR Ball in my freshly and properly lubricated conversion "Break Free", I experienced SEVERAL FTF and light primer strike failures in ALL the ammunition types across the board.

I'm looking for suggestions as to what adjustments and or parts replacements / upgrades I might further perform to improve the reliability of this PDW 9mm "conversion".

Morgan

Can you clarify whether you experienced failure to feed, or failure to fire? (I dislike the FTF acronym because it could mean either one). I'm assuming you mean failure to feed in this case.

I'd suspect the barrel first. Light primer strikes and feed issues can be caused by a tight chamber, and of course feed issues can also be related to feed ramp problems. I've encountered both with Storm Lake barrels personally. Do your rounds pass the "plunk" test in that barrel? If so, check the lockup to feel if the barrel is binding anywhere; the bottom lug could be a little long, preventing the slide from locking up smoothly.

Gabriel Suarez
04-13-2016, 10:58 AM
The only reliable way to change calibers...is also to change the slide.

CaptBeach
04-13-2016, 01:33 PM
The only reliable way to change calibers...is also to change the slide.

With a 3 or 4 series OST slide of course.

Scottman
04-17-2016, 11:15 AM
personally I've never had a problem with my glock 23 to 9 it's a lone wolf barrel

Jon Payne
04-17-2016, 11:48 AM
All depends on when it was made and what pistol it goes into. LW's qc was spotty at best. The best option for turning a 23 or 22 into a 9mm is a new ejector and a whole 9mm top end.
personally I've never had a problem with my glock 23 to 9 it's a lone wolf barrel

Scottman
04-17-2016, 12:47 PM
got ya. Had it for a couple years not sure when It was made. Gen 3 glock if that makes any difference.

Gabriel Suarez
04-17-2016, 12:47 PM
Well...as I said...a 40 to 9 barrel may be fine for training with 9mm when you carry a 40 or 357 but it is the height of foolishness to rely on it for a self defense weapon.

Scottman
04-17-2016, 12:51 PM
makes sense. How many rounds would you have to pour through a conversion barrel before you completely trusted it?

I want to get a 9" 9x25 barrel for my glock 20

Jon Payne
04-17-2016, 01:12 PM
I wouldn't trust it for anything other than sport or training.
makes sense. How many rounds would you have to pour through a conversion barrel before you completely trusted it?

gmorgan
04-17-2016, 01:53 PM
OK, my lake city is problematic at best and LW has a less than favorable review (at least here), then what is the best available threaded (for suppressor use) G17 barrel on the market...and why ? Oh and maybe most importantly were can I find them ?

otasan
04-17-2016, 02:13 PM
Before I spend a few hours looking up the acronym PDW, would someone please tell me what PDW stands for? Personal defense weapon?

Jon Payne
04-17-2016, 02:14 PM
Personal Defense Weapon
Before I spend a few hours looking up the acronym PDW, would someone please tell me what PDW stands for?

otasan
04-17-2016, 02:43 PM
I think conversions are a bad idea personally. Make it easy on yourself and just buy a 9mm Glock instead.

By any chance is it a Lone Wolf barrel? If so.....there's your answer.

I tend to agree.

Gabriel Suarez
04-17-2016, 03:38 PM

Never...it is a half step to train at low cost. If you want to shoot 9mm for self defense follow these steps:

1). Use a 9mm slide, barrel and ejector.
2). Don't be a Salvation Army soldier who is always looking for the cheap way
3). Eschew anything made by Lone Wolf or Zev.

That is it...with emphasis on number one.

Gabriel Suarez
04-17-2016, 03:40 PM

I don't know enough about 9x25 to comment, but the 10mm slide will easily accept anything with the same case rim. 10mm, 40, 357 SIG, or anything made from a 10mm case is fine.

A barrel with a caliber change but with THE SAME CASE SIZE is a far cry from a 40-9mm Lone Wolf Conversion barrel.

Gabriel Suarez
04-17-2016, 03:42 PM
OK, my lake city is problematic at best and LW has a less than favorable review (at least here), then what is the best available threaded (for suppressor use) G17 barrel on the market...and why ? Oh and maybe most importantly were can I find them ?

There are many G17 barrels. I think mine is the most accurate (made from match Lothar Walther blanks). But if you are looking to use a barrel in a 40 caliber slide, I think you are making a mistake.

Scottman
04-17-2016, 04:54 PM
that makes sense. 9x25 dillion from my understanding is a necked down 10mm to .355 like 357 sig is to 40 smith http://www.gunblast.com/9x25Dillon.htm

warriorscience4u
04-28-2016, 03:07 PM
Need a little advice.

Morgan

See if you have a Glock Armorer in your neck of the woods.

Personally, I am not a fan of the G22s, period. Gen4s may be different story, IDK.

KKM, Storm Lake and BarSto make great products for Glock caliber conversions-skip LWD for anything IMO.

Are the happy sticks Glock products? How sure are you on your re-assembly of the slide parts? Did you have a comp on it?

You're looking at running at least 500 rounds through it, at 100%, for break in. Opinions vary there.

gmorgan
04-28-2016, 09:34 PM
See if you have a Glock Armorer in your neck of the woods.

Personally, I am not a fan of the G22s, period. Gen4s may be different story, IDK.

KKM, Storm Lake and BarSto make great products for Glock caliber conversions-skip LWD for anything IMO.

Are the happy sticks Glock products? How sure are you on your re-assembly of the slide parts? Did you have a comp on it?

You're looking at running at least 500 rounds through it, at 100%, for break in. Opinions vary there.

1. See if you have a Glock Armorer in your neck of the woods.
. I have certified in the Suarez Glock Armorer course given by Rick Klopp :finger:

2. Personally, I am not a fan of the G22s, period. Gen4s may be different story, IDK.
. Have carried the gen 3 23, 22 and 19 regularly over the years ...like them all.

3. KKM, Storm Lake and BarSto make great products for Glock caliber conversions-skip LWD for anything IMO.
. Thanks for the info

4. Are the happy sticks Glock products?
. Yes Glocks

5. How sure are you on your re-assembly of the slide parts?
. See answer #1 :finger:

6. Did you have a comp on it?
. Nope

. Will probably run with Gabes G17 threaded barrel (when they come out) :pirate: and a G17 upper.

Thanks for the input and help to all.