PDA

View Full Version : Go to energy bar/one handed meal?

Christopher Calhoun
03-29-2016, 07:15 PM
I've tried lots of different things and seem to like Cliff Bars okay. They fill me up pretty well too.

What do you folks grab?

Does anybody have experience with Powergels?

I'm thinking double use, one for my summer job which starts Friday, also to keep in the truck emergency bag.

Chris

emtdaddy1980
03-29-2016, 07:19 PM
+1 for cliff bars. The peanut toffee buzz flavor has 10g protein and a little caffeine in it. Does the trick for me during busy shifts.

toolman
03-29-2016, 07:25 PM
Cliff Bar. Always a flavor that is actually enjoyable.

Mr. Anthony
03-29-2016, 07:28 PM
Larabar, Epic, are my go-to ones that don't have too much crap in them, when I don't have a bunch of food in containers with me.

DireWolf
03-29-2016, 07:30 PM
I like prefer Tanka or Epic bars... if I don't have any elk jerky on hand.

Jon Payne
03-29-2016, 07:33 PM
I'm careful about carbs and need the extra protein; it's either Quest bars or Combat bars for me.

Benjamin Liu
03-29-2016, 07:36 PM
I'm not sure what is still available or where they are available, but IMO the best ones depend on the context.

I generally like Atkins chocolate peanut butter for a general purpose bar.

Detour bars are good for the car since they are good enough to eat if really hungry but not good enough to snack on.

I've found that Tiger's Milk bars last a long time and don't taste that bad after a few years. They don't taste as good as they do if you buy them fresh at the grocery store, but after 4 years in storage they tasted the same as when bought in bulk at Costco.

I once unloaded a 24 ft moving truck by myself in maybe6 hours or so after driving it and the whole day I only had Balance Honey Peanut bars and water. Those do taste bad if old. Balance also has or at one time had a hiking version of their bars which don't melt. Balance probably has the largest variety of flavors.

High Health in Phoenix has their own brand, the only good ones are the mint and brownie, which work well and are less expensive that Atkins but more than Balance.

Zone Perfect bars taste good but are not filling in my experience. They seem too much like candy IMO.

Zone Labs work well but need to be mail ordered. I tried one at a health expo and it was filling even though it was a little on the small side.

The Nature Valley protein bars are easy to find, inexpensive, and pretty good.

Pure Protein is good when it is one of the fruit flavors.

PR Ironman were filling but I don't think they still sell them.

SEANSTRAIT
03-29-2016, 07:36 PM
Cliff bars have never failed me.

tact999
03-29-2016, 07:41 PM
Bacon Jerky

Jess Karren
03-29-2016, 08:30 PM
Bacon Jerky

You have my attention....:)

buckcz
03-29-2016, 08:41 PM
Bacon jerky is how we know God loves us. 8)

How can some of you stomach the taste of Tanka bars? I bough a case once and couldn't even finish one. It tasted like soft dog food mashed into a bar and dried out. it was nasty. I even made my friends eat them on dares and not one of them could eat more than half a bar.

Is the Epic bar any better?

DireWolf
03-29-2016, 09:44 PM
Bacon jerky is how we know God loves us. 8)

How can some of you stomach the taste of Tanka bars? I bough a case once and couldn't even finish one. It tasted like soft dog food mashed into a bar and dried out. it was nasty. I even made my friends eat them on dares and not one of them could eat more than half a bar.

Is the Epic bar any better?

So Epic has a bunch of different flavors (or recipes, if you prefer). The only way to know for sure is to try them. But If you don't like Tanka products, I'd be surprised if you liked Epic. One can only get so creative and diverse from combining meat, fat, and fruit. They don't satisfy me in the way a wholesome meal would, but for on-the-go sustenance I enjoy both of them just fine. I dunno, different strokes for different folks, I guess.

As an aside, last summer we had record-setting wildfires here in WA. I spent the entirety of a deployment on at least one of those big project fires living almost exclusively off of a case of Epic's "lamb and currant" bar. I much preferred that to the alternatives, which were MREs or "food" from a most distinguished world-famous catering company from one of the microscopically small towns in the county.

You can also make your own pemmican, which I've done before and enjoyed. It takes a lot of work but is vastly more delicious than something made in a factory and pressed in plastic.

Christopher Calhoun
03-30-2016, 03:59 AM
Um, bacon jerky...yes please. Wow. My life has changed and I haven't even tried one yet! Ha!

Benjamin, those are a lot of options. The Costco part helps even and you have also provided some other options to look into.

Everybody that likes Cliff, glad to see I'm not alone.

Chris

CR Williams
03-30-2016, 05:05 AM
I go for lower-carb options and avoid as much as possible anything that uses soy for part of its protein mix. Currently MuscleTech Mission1 and PowerCrunch for protein-bar snacks and occasional whole meals. If refrigeration is handy I like cheese sticks of various kinds. I like Quest bars as well.

John McCreery
03-30-2016, 05:32 AM
I like the quest bars or the met rx if I know I may only eat once or be very active.

IANative
03-30-2016, 06:34 AM
Not bars, but I make my own trail mix. Almonds, pecans, walnuts, dried cranberries and blueberries are my staple. Will sometimes add dried bananas or dried apples, if I can find them. I mix it all together and bake it in the oven on low temp for an hour or two w/ a little sweet cream butter or coconut oil and cinnamon- really releases and blends the flavors well. Remove from oven, let cool then mix well. I store it refrigerated in 1 gallon freezer bags, and make smaller ziploc bags to take with me as needed. Always a big hit in deer camp or the duck blind.

Benjamin Liu
03-30-2016, 07:47 AM
Benjamin, those are a lot of options. The Costco part helps even and you have also provided some other options to look into.

I don't know if they still carry them. The reason I mentioned it was that when I got them at Fry's grocery store they were fresh and when I bought them in boxes at Costco they were somewhat harder and not as good but still OK. When these boxes were stored they were just as good 4 years later as they were right off Costo's shelves.

I suspect the reason could be that they are made with carob rather than chocolate.

Jeromy Hasenkamp
03-30-2016, 08:59 AM
Make sure when looking at bars that you look to see if they contain Sucralose..many of them have it. Can cause a lot of issues with GI tract and beyond.

kabar
03-30-2016, 09:55 AM
That's good advice. I tend towards constipation when living out of a pack and eating differently than normal, but nothings worse than having the runs when living rough.

Personally, I shy away from "power bar" type foods altogether unless I'm out for days on end and space and weight are at a premium. If I'm working somewhere on a regular basis, I want real food. Otherwise, on most outdoor excursions, I cheat and add more carbs back into my diet. I tend to bring traditional back packing food like wheat tortillas, apples, hard cheese, dried fruits, nuts and nut butters, jerky, pepperoni sticks, etc.

bog
03-30-2016, 10:08 AM
Maverick (gas stations) started selling these ones called Protein Supreme, they are pretty good/OK, the main draw for me is they are all whey protein, no soy, they are like $4 each though not too cost effective but it beats a bag of chips.

H60DoorGunner
03-30-2016, 11:16 AM
I like the crunchy Cliff bars. But I've been on Power Bars since I was 17 and section hiking the Appalachian trail. I haven't found one that works better than Power Bars...others taste better (sometimes much better), but they don't seem to give me as much energy. Especially considering I don't need to eat the entire Power Bar for a meal.

sometimes when I kill a deer, I like making my own pemmican, which I find is the absolute best bang for my buck, as far as nutrients per pound carried. If you can find pemmican in a bar form in your AO, I recommend that over anything else. It's difficult to find sometimes though. I think REI might carry it.

Greg Nichols
03-30-2016, 11:23 AM
I don't tend to "energy" bars. I like protein bars and jerky. They tend to be cleaner and you'll get the pick me up you're looking for just from the calories.

H60DoorGunner
03-30-2016, 11:27 AM
I don't tend to "energy" bars. I like protein bars and jerky. They tend to be cleaner and you'll get the pick me up you're looking for just from the calories.

Thats why I really like pemmican. It's basically fruit and jerky formed into a single piece. Check it out if you can find some.