PDA

View Full Version : Items to own and carry. Not sure what else to have.

Christopher Calhoun
03-18-2016, 09:43 PM
I'm not talking about EDC stuff as far as knives, guns, lights etc.

I read Gabe's article on what he has for an emergency though it was written some time ago. I'm sure his pack and items has evolved since then but Gabe I am not so, my question is where do I start?

I carry my two State IDs, car insurance already. What other things are recommended I carry or at least have ready access to?

Chris

Tyler
03-18-2016, 10:03 PM
I always have at least 1k and a credit card on me at all times!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danneskjold
03-18-2016, 11:02 PM
Money, guns and drugs. Chicks dig it.

BillyOblivion
03-19-2016, 12:00 AM
Other than what you mentioned, first aid stuff is assumed. Or at least a blowout kit.

Digital camera. Notebook and a couple pens. I usually carry a steel water bottle or my steel coffee thermos. These are generally full of some sort of drinkable fluid because I live in a pretty arid place. I also have an emergency $100. Meaning that that money is *ONLY* for emergencies.

When traveling further from home than I can walk in a day I have my passport, 500 in cash, a debit card that goes to my HSA a "spare" credit card with a 16k limit on it.

This is stuff I usually on or near my person.

In the car we have a large ammo can with a bunch of spare gloves, hats, rain coats etc, and a pair of shoes for each of us (Wife, kid, me).

Dorkface
03-19-2016, 12:22 AM
Is the OP asking about things to keep on their person, things in their car or what?

Not much more to keep on person.

Truck has basic supplies like food, water, first aid stuff and some basic stuff for the truck itself.

Christopher Calhoun
03-19-2016, 12:30 AM
I'm asking for general things I should own/have access to so worst case scenario, close at hand items are perfectly acceptable.

Chris

Dorkface
03-19-2016, 12:38 AM
Ah... well money can fix a lot of things...

WinstonSmith
03-19-2016, 07:06 AM
Weapons, money, and wits solve all sorts of problems in emergencies.

Badger
03-19-2016, 07:46 AM
I also carry a U.S. passport card (not book). It's the size and style of a driver's license. While it can be used for border crossings, I have no need of that living in the Midwest. The U.S. passport (book or card) is the most important document you can carry. Why? Because it is the only document that shows proof of identity AND citizenship. You can use it to open bank accounts, purchase vehicles, and anything you would need a second ID for.

WinstonSmith
03-19-2016, 07:55 AM
I also carry a U.S. passport card (not book). It's the size and style of a driver's license. While it can be used for border crossings, I have no need of that living in the Midwest. The U.S. passport (book or card) is the most important document you can carry. Why? Because it is the only document that shows proof of identity AND citizenship. You can use it to open bank accounts, purchase vehicles, and anything you would need a second ID for.

And it doesn't have a physical address on it. (That's a reference to other threads.)

Christopher Calhoun
03-19-2016, 08:28 AM
Never thought about that. We do accept them at the ballpark for alcohol purchase. It's sort of like a be all end all ID.

Chris

Badger
03-19-2016, 09:04 AM
And it doesn't have a physical address on it. (That's a reference to other threads.)
Yes, forgot to add that. Thanks for the addition.

H60DoorGunner
03-19-2016, 09:46 AM
I'm asking for general things I should own/have access to so worst case scenario, close at hand items are perfectly acceptable.

Chris

Aside from EDC items...RMR pistol, reloads, flashlight, Gang Unit, pocketknife etc...

In my truck I keep a rifle, with a TIB. The TIB has 6 rifle magazines, 4 spare pistol magazines, 2 Israeli dressings, two tourniquets, 2 Atripens, and a Bowie knife. I also keep various items in my truck like a sleeping mat, tools, a rain coat, spare socks, collapsible water bottles, pack stove and backpacking cook wear etc... It's really not a lot of stuff. Just the basics that will take you the farthest.

I also carry what some would consider a "considerable" amount of cash, and a credit card with a considerable credit limit. Through my travels and work around the world, I've found that cash can take you a very long way.

What other kinds of info are you looking for?

StealthNeighbor
03-19-2016, 09:51 AM
Water in bottles.
Portable food (i.e., can be eaten with one hand).
Individual First Aid Kit (IFAK) / blowout kit.
Firestarting items.

R. Lafayette
03-19-2016, 09:56 AM
As Richard Pryor once said: 'God bless America. In America if you got some money or a pistol you can get somethin' to eat.'

Ted Demosthenes
03-19-2016, 10:44 AM
I'm not talking about EDC stuff as far as knives, guns, lights etc.

I read Gabe's article on what he has for an emergency though it was written some time ago. I'm sure his pack and items has evolved since then...

Chris

Chris
Which of Gabe's articles are you referring to? Link?
Thx
Ted

Christopher Calhoun
03-19-2016, 10:52 AM
Aside from EDC items...RMR pistol, reloads, flashlight, Gang Unit, pocketknife etc...

In my truck I keep a rifle, with a TIB. The TIB has 6 rifle magazines, 4 spare pistol magazines, 2 Israeli dressings, two tourniquets, 2 Atripens, and a Bowie knife. I also keep various items in my truck like a sleeping mat, tools, a rain coat, spare socks, collapsible water bottles, pack stove and backpacking cook wear etc... It's really not a lot of stuff. Just the basics that will take you the farthest.

I also carry what some would consider a "considerable" amount of cash, and a credit card with a considerable credit limit. Through my travels and work around the world, I've found that cash can take you a very long way.

What other kinds of info are you looking for?

I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for exactly. Gabe's list was rather long so I guess I'm trying to pair that down to a "what do I really NEED" list that I can expand on from there. Realistically, if I'm home, (which is an apartment) I'm probably not going to try to go anywhere if something bad happened so bugging out isn't probably what I'll need. On the flip side of that, if I'm already out and need to get home I'm guessing that will be a whole different look. Based on y'alls recommendations, here is what I think I will try to get going first:

-A "get home" kit of some sort. That includes money on my person, water or a filtering system and tablets for water, an extra pair of clothes and shoes, a passport seems insightful so one of those, and some food. Gabe's blog ( http://blog.suarezinternational.com/2014/08/the-go-bag.html#.Vu2NcRIrKV4) suggested extra pistol magazines and ammo, as well as an extra holster. (never thought of the holster part) I also like the idea of photocopies of your IDs. Something about that, just makes sense, though I know that isn't counted as "legal documentation." Heck, in Texas with the temporary paper ID, even though it still has your photo on it now, the Texas Alcohol and Beverage Commission still don't recognize that as sufficient enough to purchase a beer. Sucks, but it's the truth. Also, a bandanna, medkit, multitool, small two way radios that take AA batteries, and the common sense vehicle tools that I already have in my truck because instead of paying for an oil change or plug change, I've always done these things myself since I was 16. I WOULD actually like a burner prepaid phone and minutes cards. That is absolutely genius. Small story, I briefly worked for one of the North America's largest call centers and Metro PCS was in there and due to the fact they have a social media hub, they were able to stay afloat of a few natural disasters and do their best to reroute calls to other towers and whatever else they could do. Having a spare phone with multiple minutes cards would increase the chances of making an important, potentially lifesaving phone call.

-Stay in Kit. Most of this I already have, including 4 gallons of water already in jugs in the fridge, food bars, a ten pound bag of rice, ramen, a small medkit, (not counting the other stuff in my cabinet) an extra flashlight, (though I have about 7-8 flashlights that all take lithium AAs) batteries, a spare multitool, two hydration packs, (one I use regularly already anyway) matches, candles, an extra backpack, and knives. In this "kit" what I do not have and keep forgetting to get, is even more cash for emergencies, a fireproof box, more copies of my documentation, any spare means of communication, besides my cell phone, and just plain more ammunition and a few more magazines.

This seems like a lot but, I'm willing to bet some of you already have this stuff and then some. I just need to take it slow, acquire as I can, and be ready to evolve when needed. Still, any additional thoughts are appreciated because a second, third, and even fourth pair of eyes is always better than the first!

Christopher Calhoun
03-19-2016, 11:16 AM
Chris
Which of Gabe's articles are you referring to? Link?
Thx
Ted

Linked it in my post after yours. I got up so many times while writing mine, yours probably snuck in. Lol.

Chris

BillyOblivion
03-19-2016, 11:51 AM
If you wear prescription glasses, a spare pair and a pair of either clip on sunglasses or "fitovers".

H60DoorGunner
03-19-2016, 12:15 PM
So you're interested in what you might want in a "get home kit", more specifically? Or what you want in your apartment? Two totally different answers. The answers are even different between what you "need", and what you might "want".

My wife and I have done fairly extensive planning. I probably have *a* good answer for all your questions. PM me if you want to discuss it further. Otherwise I think you need to refine your question, if you want a more refined answer from the tribe...