PDA

View Full Version : A Good CCW experience

Forklift
03-18-2016, 07:22 PM
I'm not sure where to put this so I'll just put it here.

With all the evil cops stories going around anymore I had a good cop story, lame as it may be, it just shoes not all cops are bad/crazy/trigger happy/etc..

Tonight on the way home from the gym, after a good workout, surprisingly good after being sick for the last week, I had a blow out going down the highway. I pulled over and before I got out I drop my G19 in my right hip pocket. I got about getting the tire out, jacking the car up, etc.. and then, while I'm in the middle of putting the spare on, a cop pulls up. I'm not anti cop or even close, but the one time I don't want one to show up, there he is, when I'm in sweats and have an obviously printing pistol in my pocket. He's already shining the car light so doing anything with it at this point, would be nuts. So I just keep doing what I'm doing and he walks up shining the light to help me and small talking. I bounce it around or a second or two and decide I DON"T want him to be surprised so I tell him " I guess, while I have my hands on the wheel, that I should tell you...(he take a defensive posture here, understandably so) that I have a pistol in my right hip pocket" and I shift my hips to show him, while keeping my hands on the tire. He looks, says "thank you for telling me" and goes on small talking. I have to admit, I was surprised, pleasantly so, he was calm, professional, and, to be honest, helpful. His flashlight made my work easier, and his car lights gave me a peace of mind that some DA wasn't going to run me over. When I was done, he kept the light on for me to see as I put everything back in the trunk. When I was done I said "would you like to see my license, and carry permit?" he just said no thank you, and have a good night. "Thank you Sir", and I was outta there.

Missouri Highway Patrol, thank you.

Bob F.
03-18-2016, 07:32 PM
Started to ask if that was in WV then red last line.

I've told the whole story a couple times before, so short version: " I have a permit & I'm carrying." "OK"End of story (sort of).

DutchV
03-18-2016, 07:36 PM
Profiling works for good guys, too.

Tyler
03-18-2016, 09:25 PM
MSHP are for the most part squared away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M1A's r Best
03-19-2016, 03:07 AM
I let my wife drive (doesn't happen often) late one night when I'd gotten sleepy on the way home to visit our folks. She wakes me up hollering that there are blue lights flashing behind us so I tell to pull over and stop.

The WV State Trooper comes up to the side of the car with his light and asks if we are alright. He said he stopped us because we were weaving a little and going a little fast (she doesn't seem to understand that she's got to glance down at the speedometer now and then, or use cruise control). We assured him we were okay and he asked for the license/registration and I told him I had my 1911 on me. He asked where it was and I told him and asked him if he needed to see it. He said no and asked me if I had a permit for it. I told him I did and he told me to just leave it alone and hand him the license and registration for the car. I did, he said okay, have a good night, be careful, etc. and left. We changed spots and I drove the rest of the way home.

There are good ones out there.

JoeB40
03-19-2016, 04:49 AM
Profiling works for good guys, too.

I never really thought about it that way, but you are spot on.

Kelveren
03-19-2016, 05:56 AM
Its far more common to have these experiences than the bad ones. Ive been pulled over myself a few times though only one ticket since getting my license.

The one ticket happened because the city was having a zero tolerance event sort of thing.

In every case but that one, I would end up chatting guns and getting stories about their experiences.

There was even a regular, every Friday night, road block in a small town nearby that we would pass through when visiting some friends. I became the "glock guy." After the 2nd visit, the officer that saw me those 2 times would catch the officers questioning me and have them let me go. "That glock guy's good to go, guys."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Paper Shredder
03-19-2016, 06:04 AM
A funny small add on to this thread is that when I was closing on my house, I had a month of limbo where I was nomadic with my wife. So I asked a buddy with a large safe to keep my guns for a month. So there I was trucking a stash of tactical firepower and I get snagged with a ticket. He was nice and polite but I explained my cargo and he didn't seem to be interested at all. I was sure he wanted to look at a few for kicks, but nothing...I guess not all cops are gun guys.

MesserMan
03-19-2016, 07:17 AM
In the small Illinois town I live in, the local police aren't exactly know for being the "good guys" (meaning blatantly corrupt AF, treating good citizens like crap, and consistently making excuses for the usual suspects and handling them with kid gloves).

But the one time I've been pulled over since I got my carry license, I simply informed the officer that "I am an Illinois concealed carry license holder," and handed him my carry license along with my DL and vehicle registration. He just looked at it, handed it back, and proceeded with the stop as normal. I was actually pleasantly surprised, given my past experiences with this particular department. He was a new hire though, and younger than the rest, so he may not have yet been indoctrinated with the mindset of "this is the way we do things around here."

WinstonSmith
03-19-2016, 07:58 AM
I've gotten out of dozens of speeding tickets in MO with a valid CCW slipped into the stack of drivers license and insurance cards. :wink:

I'm sure hands on the wheel, dome lights on, radio and engine off, all helped.

CaneCorso
03-19-2016, 09:08 AM
I let my wife drive (doesn't happen often) late one night when....

So I think that's the important lesson of this thread: don't let the wives drive...

:knockedout: