PDA

View Full Version : choc milk after wo

unstpabl1
03-29-2006, 09:51 PM
A guy at my gym & someone here mentioned choc milk for recovery.i dont get it?
mike

VaughnT
03-29-2006, 10:46 PM
Milk is a decent source of protein. It has some healthy fats. The sugar in the chocolate syrup might provide some simple carbs, too.

For the cost, it sure can't be worse than gatorade or the like, which are nothing more than high-priced koolaid.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to someone for a cheap after-workout recovery drink.

HUSS
03-30-2006, 04:55 AM
Wouldnt juice be better ? As for protein it depends but should be part of your diet. For me i eat 5 meals a day spacing out 120 grams of protein.
Here is a good calculator for determining how much protein you need.
http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/protein.asp

adouglasmhor
03-30-2006, 05:22 AM
I thought the idea of choc milk as an immediate post work out drink (within 10/15 mins) is the sugar causes an insulin spike so the body is primed to pick up protien and start building, personaly I eat a banana on the walk up the road from the gym and eat a proper protein based meal, eggs fish or meat and veggies after I have my bath. (I stopped showering at the gym in my teens after a friend was propositioned by a homosexual in one).

Cold War Scout
03-30-2006, 05:31 AM
(I stopped showering at the gym in my teens after a friend was propositioned by a homosexual in one).

Disgusting, vile gym....where did you say it was? :)

Texican
03-30-2006, 05:32 AM
Disgusting, vile gym....where did you say it was? :)

You ain't right...

Cold War Scout
03-30-2006, 05:33 AM
You ain't right...

That's twice in two hours I have been told that. The masses cannot be ignored....

Texican
03-30-2006, 05:37 AM
That's twice in two hours I have been told that. The masses cannot be ignored....

Ya'll need to stop. I'm supposed to be a bad mood, today! :D

Oh, and yes, the milk would help with the insulin spike. Just be careful with what you are drinking. Most readily available choco milk is nasty and pretty much worthless, nutritionally.

Youngman
03-30-2006, 08:26 AM
I saw the study too about a month ago...and it definatly was Chocolate milk....they said it was better than Gatorade or other driniks like that....

seth bailey
03-30-2006, 08:29 AM
What about choco soy milk? It comes in reduced cal., and low carb. variations? I like to mix alittle in my protein shakes.

BillyOblivion
03-31-2006, 01:28 PM
http://www.arthurdevany.com/

Specifically http://www.arthurdevany.com/archives/2006/03/gene_expression_1.html

I'm not saying this guy is Gospel, but he does tend to back up his assertions with real science.

He seems (by my reading) to suggest that post-workout you *do not* want to re-load with Carbs, but go with protein and fats (he would say mostly proteins).

It would follow that water and nuts (or meat) would be a good post-workout snack.

Cold War Scout
03-31-2006, 01:31 PM
I saw the study too about a month ago...and it definatly was Chocolate milk....they said it was better than Gatorade or other driniks like that....

There was some relatively recent study that suggested that Gatorade was worse for your teeth than soda.

adouglasmhor
03-31-2006, 02:56 PM
What about choco soy milk? It comes in reduced cal., and low carb. variations? I like to mix alittle in my protein shakes.

I sometimes use that, just that a banana folowed by a plate of real food an hour later is so much nicer.