PDA

View Full Version : Drum mag for Glock PDW?

Parallax
02-22-2016, 01:10 PM
Does it makes sense to use a 50 round drum mag for "bump in the night"? I like the idea of carrying my G17 during the day, then adding a brace, light and a higher capacity magazine at night when I'm traveling. That way I still get most of the benefits of a long gun without actually having to bring one along.

I have a couple happy sticks but thinking about picking up one of these drums. They're only a little more expensive than a happy stick, and hold 17 more rounds; more capacity couldn't hurt. Only downside I can think of is weight, but for this application that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Gabriel Suarez
02-22-2016, 01:13 PM
Not for me. A 31 stick, or at most two clipped together is fine.

georgeib
02-22-2016, 04:51 PM
I don't like the idea. Unnecessary bulk, and unproven reliability. The Glock mags are slim, and stow and deploy much easier. And have proven bulletproof reliability. The drums? Who knows?

EDELWEISS
02-22-2016, 06:02 PM
OK lets say this again, the Glock PDW is closer to a Stocked Pistol than a SMG. I dont see the drum being an advantage in the context you describe; but then I dont see it as the best "bump in the night / bedside gun" option either. Its far better as the "Bag Gun" for when shite goes airborne in places you cant just grab a M4 or AR Pistol or shotgun or hit the Claymore klacker....

DutchV
02-22-2016, 06:53 PM
Does anyone make a Glock drum that's reliable? If Magpul or Glock make one, then maybe it'd be worth a look. Until then, happy sticks are the answer.

EDELWEISS
02-22-2016, 06:57 PM
The Military Arms Channel gave a decent review of the SGM Tactical drum. Im pretty sure its from the same folks doing the Korean Glock mags. It fits in my G17 OK; but its tight in my QC10 AR-K

MesserMan
02-22-2016, 07:21 PM
A reliable drum would be nice, but with two 33 rounders on a L-clamp, you've got 67 rounds on the gun, in a somewhat more trim package. So I guess the question you'd have to ask yourself is, would you rather have 51 rounds straight up, or 67 rounds with a reload at the halfway mark?

Me, I'd rather have the 67 rounds. Realistically speaking, the odds of going through the first 34 are pretty slim, and if I do, an L-clamp reload is damn fast. Also, if the first mag malfunctions, you're just a quick pull and twist away from being back in the fight. What're you gonna do if that drum malfunctions, and its the only mag you have?

WOLF220
02-22-2016, 07:27 PM
Does anyone make a Glock drum that's reliable? If Magpul or Glock make one, then maybe it'd be worth a look. Until then, happy sticks are the answer.

THIS /\

bassbones
02-23-2016, 03:09 PM
I have the drum....its a range toy....sticks are where its at.

JB