PDA

View Full Version : G19 vs. H&K P2000, now I'm confused

battlecreek1
03-29-2006, 02:11 AM
O.K., so I had pretty much decied on the G19 when my friend says, "You should really look into the H&K P2000". I looked...and WOW, looks like a fine piece of equipment but they sure are proud of it $$$$$$$. So, does anyone think the H&K is a better choice? Here's some random thoughts:

1) Glock = easier to clean/maintain (I hear H&K has lots of complex internals)

2) H&K = Heard they have poor customer service for civilians, what kind does Glock have?

3) Glock = Read some "internet conspiracy theory" on how bad Glock, Inc is and the KB problems...anything to all that or just hype?

4) Reliabilty - Not sure so any experience with both would help.

So, is the H&K worth the extra $300? I'm sure it's a great gun, but what do you really get for some much more $$?

Charles Rives
03-29-2006, 02:40 AM
Availability of holsters, magazines and accessories is an arguement for for the Glock and away from the HK. By the time you've bought a well-fitting holster and a half-dozen mags, you've made the price spread even larger.

Sam Spade
03-29-2006, 03:22 AM
Hmmm....HK. Or, G19 + 2 day class with Gabe.

Gimmie a sec....

striped1
03-29-2006, 04:47 AM
Glock hands down. The HK, especially the P2000 cannot compete.

The customer service is crap. They seem like they are almost anti-civilian ownership.

KB's are rare but do happen with any gun and are 99.9% of the time ammo related. Don't shoot crap in them and the chance of it blowing up drops significantly.

MTS
03-29-2006, 05:30 AM
1. No hands on experiance with the P2000 but your description does fit other HKs.

2. If you are not LEO/Military HK service is "spotty". Glock has a good rep for customer service and there are plenty of secondary sources for service.

3. The primary problem with Glock "KBs" is in the .40S&W series. They use an unsupported chamber and occasionaly one lets go. This is not an issue with the 9MM series pistol.

4. Probably a toss up. Even though they are pricey HKs do have a good rep for reliability.

As Sam Spade said. Add up the extra cost of the P2000-vs-what you can get a G19 for (especially if you find a good used one) plus the extra money you will spend on holsters and mags.

battlecreek1
03-29-2006, 08:54 AM
Thanks guys, kind of what I thought.

Lou Costello
03-30-2006, 08:52 AM
The biggest gripe I have with the modern Glocks is their finger grooves. They don't line up with my fingers. Not comfortable.

My old G19 doesn't have finger grooves. Neither does my HK USP.

I have no experience with HK customer service. Nothing has gone wrong with my USP. However, I do have experience with Glock's. My G19 went back twice. Glock's turnaround time was fast and they didn't charge me for repairs.

Dave in PA
03-30-2006, 10:38 AM
One of our dept. armorers just tried to contact HK about upgrading to new pistols. We are currently looking to change from our present S&W autos and wanted to evaluate the USP models. He has called three times, only one of which he actually spoke to a person. No one has called to date and it's been about three weeks.

I figure if we are ready to spend a large amount of money and they still don't seem too eager to contact us, it speaks of how they view customers. LE included.

Thomas_R
03-30-2006, 10:56 AM
I own and shoot both the G19 and HK P2000v3. Both have qualities, features, and faults -- for my personal interpretation of priorties. Which will be different for someone's else interpretation of their priorties.

I'm shooting better with the P2000v3, but the two G19's won't be retired, either.

A big bonus for myself, is major improvement on weak hand shooting with P2000. I'm not certain why, yet, but it's a major improvement.

That's what is so important about evaluating the right handgun for yourself, it's got to be personally verfied against personal priorities. But it takes time and experince to comprehend what One needs.

-T

Dr_Dave
03-30-2006, 06:59 PM
Why not try them both? find a range that rents pistols and shoot them. Pick the one you like best.

Skpotamus
03-30-2006, 10:06 PM
There's a thread on another forum where a Glock 21 and H&K USP 45 are compared in some of the torture tests. They buried both in a 5 gallon bucket filled with various media, then packed them down tight, pulled both guns out and attempted to fire them.

The H&K failed hands down on the dirt, potting soil and baby powder tests while the Glock kept on running with no problems until water was added to the mixes (btw, baby powder + water = pasty mess that made the glock hiccup a few times). The H&K did fire eveytime (500 round test) when it wasn't buried in all kinds of crud, but the glock fired regardless.

That same forum has a thread on Kabooms with glocks. My experience/take on KB's is related to poor reloading practices and/or faulty ammo. Some people like to push the edge of safety with their reloads and then get a little sloppy. All of the KB'd glocks I've seen had obvious squibs or were pretty obvious double charges.

that said, I've not shot the P2000, but have played with it some at the shop I work at, the decocker is in an awkward spot but it feels pretty nice. The other H&K's I've shot I didn't do as well with as I do my glocks. That and my standard cap magazines (10+rounds) are $20 for the glocks. The H&K mags are quite a bit more.

alamo
03-30-2006, 10:17 PM
I`m a German police officer( Swat firearms instructor ). I have been carrying and shooting both for years. Glock 17 for 16 years P 2000 for 4 years.
I can tell you both guns are reliable and combat ready out of the box.
For point shooting the Glock`s have a little adventage over the H&K since their profile over the hand is somewhat lower. The H&K is extremly accurate though to it`s short barrel. Customer service? Both guns rarely need it In the early 90`s we had some broken trigger springs with our Glock`s. But with the new springs we have had no problems. Until today none of our H&K´s had to be send to the armorer. Any questions?

battlecreek1
03-31-2006, 05:53 AM
Thanks for the info everybody. I've decided the Glock fits my needs and wallet better, so I'm going to the gun show tomorrow and picking one up. I've already talked to the dealer and he'll sell it to me new for $458. Sounds like a good price to me...about 50-100 cheaper than any dealer (local or online). Now I just can't wait to get it and get to the range!!

alamo
03-31-2006, 08:13 AM
Have fun with your Glock!

bigrob911
03-31-2006, 04:49 PM
I have no experence with h&k pistols. I'm sure they are fine handguns.
If it was my call I would go with a glock. I bought a used glock 19 and
had to send it in for a frame replacement. I paid $56.00 for glock nightsights and they installed them for free along with a free extended slide relese. It took 4 weeks turn around. I feel glock stands 100% behind there products. Glocks are in my opion the best gun for the money.:D
just my 2 cents.:p

ogive40
04-01-2006, 04:13 PM
Pick each one up, work the trigger and slide, which one points more naturally for you, check the trigger reset and go with what works for you. $ for $ the Glock wins, IMHO.

mballai
04-02-2006, 05:28 PM
Own both. The 19 is probably the easiest gun to get up and running. However the P2000 is a better overall gun--more ambidextrous, fits more hands easier and quite possibly a bit more accurate. HK customer service, unfortunately doesn't quite measure up but you may never need it. Glock parts and armorers much more available.

Frankly a toss up. Can't go wrong with either one.

Michael Biggs
04-02-2006, 05:45 PM
I'm new to the Glock 23, but am quite familiar with the G-19. I stay with it and I am not confused.

TrojanSkyCop
04-03-2006, 08:14 AM
Why not try them both? find a range that rents pistols and shoot them. Pick the one you like best.

Can't fault Dave's wisdom, i.e. try before you buy! As the saying goes, "You pays your money and then you takes your choice." ;)

That said, while I have a long-standing respect for both Glock and H&K, the Glock is a more field-proven design overall, and I imagine spare parts and accessories are far easier to obtain than is true for the HK, fwiw.

Best of luck and Happy Hunting, whichever route you go.