PDA

View Full Version : thread lock?

bw118
02-19-2016, 11:09 AM
Hello,

You don't use a castle nut or endplate on your "PERSONAL DEFENSE WEAPON KIT FOR GLOCKS", I saw that you use thread lock instead.

What kind?
Is it secure enough with a sling?
How does the ENDO adapter reacts to the thread locking fluid?

Thank you!

Yondering
02-19-2016, 11:34 AM
Personally I wasn't real impressed that the castle nut wasn't included. I'd rather have paid another $2 and had the option to use it. I added one to my PDW kit since I preferred to install it that way.

ShopMonkey
02-19-2016, 12:15 PM
Hello,

You don't use a castle nut or endplate on your "PERSONAL DEFENSE WEAPON KIT FOR GLOCKS", I saw that you use thread lock instead.

What kind?
Is it secure enough with a sling?
How does the ENDO adapter reacts to the thread locking fluid?

Thank you!

actually there's no thread lock on it at all, however if you do wish to use thread lock i would strongly recommend that you stay away from red, stick with loc-tite 242 or blue Permatex (my personal favorite)

Yondering
02-19-2016, 01:43 PM
actually there's no thread lock on it at all, however if you do wish to use thread lock i would strongly recommend that you stay away from red, stick with loc-tite 242 or blue Permatex (my personal favorite)

Actually in most gun applications, 243 is much better than 242. Bond strength is about the same, but 242 doesn't bond in the presence of oil.

Also, Permatex & Loctite are the same products now. The Loctite number (242, 243, etc) is in the Permatex part number, you can get either flavor in either brand.

georgeib
02-19-2016, 02:13 PM
I can think of no good reason not to use an end plate and castle nut.

SqueeDAB
02-19-2016, 02:19 PM
My current buffer tube is just screwed into the ENDO adapter. I've had zero shift. I'm not suggesting that anyone follow my lead, but you certainly don't need to cold-weld or red-lock it.

I'm waiting until I decide whether to go w a shorter tube. Mine current buffer tube has some knurling that prevents the Shockwave from being pushed directly up to the adapter. Adds about 1.25-1.5 inches to OAL. I do have longish arms, and I have contemplated adding a plate for use w a QD one point sling. Whatever I finally decide, I will set it with something.

But I haven't had any (zero) issues so far without a thread locking agent.

ShopMonkey
02-19-2016, 02:26 PM
Actually in most gun applications, 243 is much better than 242. Bond strength is about the same, but 242 doesn't bond in the presence of oil.

Also, Permatex & Loctite are the same products now. The Loctite number (242, 243, etc) is in the Permatex part number, you can get either flavor in either brand.

first, why would you oil that part? there is absolutely no need for it and based on my experience with unbuggering peoples guns for them, they tend to go overboard with thread lock thinking you need to drown the screw in it, hence why, as a smith i recommend 242 for personal use, as its easier to break free when the customer does go overboard. second, permatex still use a different mixture of components as is present by the smell it emits when opening a tube.

Yondering
02-19-2016, 03:41 PM
I didn't oil it. Most gun parts come with oil on them, or have oil on them from use.

There is no significant difference between breaking free 242 and 243, unless the 242 didn't bond correctly. In short, there's no good reason not to use 243 instead.

Check the part number on your Permatex, it might be 243.

bw118
02-21-2016, 07:04 AM
Thank you!

ShopMonkey
02-22-2016, 07:16 AM
I didn't oil it. Most gun parts come with oil on them, or have oil on them from use.

There is no significant difference between breaking free 242 and 243, unless the 242 didn't bond correctly. In short, there's no good reason not to use 243 instead.

Check the part number on your Permatex, it might be 243.

again, i do not trust the ignorant of assembly because they do not know how much to use. this is especially obvious when some potato calls me wanting an RMA because when they got their slide in the mail they strapped their refurb RMR on the slide because they saved $50 and drown the thing in so much lok-tite that it floated and created a space in between the sealing plate and slide so that it sits cock-eyed and they can't get it to zero and think its our fault.

Yondering
02-22-2016, 10:01 AM
ShopMonkey, I'm not sure where you're coming from with that comment or what it has to do with the discussion here?

weaponhead
03-11-2016, 07:55 AM
Nevermind - Google was my friend.

vandal
03-12-2016, 10:03 PM
The Endo part is plastic, right? Is loctite going to do be effective at preventing the pistol extension from rotating? I considered screwing the extension into the Endo adapter very tightly, but since it's plastic I was afraid of splitting it or something.

I added a castle nut and a rear QD point plate. Found that using a MS3 sling in single point mode with the SAS technique was also a good stabilizing method, and that wouldn't even require the Shockwave brace (or even a pistol extension if one could find a way of attaching the QD point without it.