PDA

View Full Version : THERE ARE TIMES WHEN YOU NEED A FORK, AND TIMES WHEN YOU NEED A SPOON

Gabriel Suarez
02-03-2016, 02:14 PM

NONE OF US ARE LIMITED TO ONE UTENSIL...OR ONE GOLF CLUB.

WHEN IS ONE PREFERRED OVER ANOTHER AND WHAT ARE THE ATTRIBUTES THAT MAKE THE CHOICE?

coastalcop
02-03-2016, 03:04 PM
direct action stuff, rifle caliber, I want the ability to shoot through things and rifle style knockdown power when possible.

"Maybe" events/planning the stocked glock has a LOT going for it (with the RMR caveat) still working with one to ID ability for general issue to guys and SBR the issued glocks (no fees/ quick turn around for .gov)

Greg Nichols
02-03-2016, 03:15 PM
As I answer most tactical questions.... It depends. If having the opportunity I'll go with the Spoon, mainly for the reasons costal cop gave above. If it's DA and I have a choice I'm taking the spoon, wearing plates and a full combat load. I'm taking this if expecting trouble.

The fork. This is a great option for a PSD mission for immetiate threat, easy to stash, easy to manipulate, already have support gear on your person so you can unbag it and go to work. Fight to the vehicle (where your spoon is) or to a secure room. Allows for more stability with distance shots and multiple target engagement.

coastalcop
02-03-2016, 03:18 PM
As I answer most tactical questions.... It depends. If having the opportunity I'll go with the Spoon, mainly for the reasons costal cop gave above. If it's DA and I have a choice I'm taking the spoon, wearing plates and a full combat load. I'm taking this if expecting trouble.

The fork. This is a great option for a PSD mission for immetiate threat, easy to stash, easy to manipulate, already have support gear on your person so you can unbag it and go to work. Fight to the vehicle (where your spoon is) or to a secure room. Allows for more stability with distance shots and multiple target engagement.

yep the "stocked" pistol would be the shiznit for surveillance detail (like UC backup) where you cant be "loaded for bear" in your piece of shit Nissan sentra . I have been testing some concepts with doubled up 3/8 bungie (run across off arm to shoulder "X" behind shoulder then one side over "strong" shoulder , other under "strong" shoulder . Top strap slide through top sling opening in blade, bottom through rear opening in blade. tie both with "pull through bow")

keeps it close to body and concealable with slightly oversized outer shirt (prefereably snap front). still can be brought to fire position, pull two bows quick and its off body completely.

just random thoughts and tests, I gotta find the agencies SBR registered glock, its around here somewhere (from when I was doing tests with HERA and others)

Greg Nichols
02-03-2016, 03:20 PM
yep the "stocked" pistol would be the shiznit for surveillance detail (like UC backup) where you cant be "loaded for bear" in your piece of shit Nissan sentra .

I can't believe that I (the vehicle guy) didn't think of inside a vehicle. For a wheel man this would be perfect.

coastalcop
02-03-2016, 03:36 PM
I can't believe that I (the vehicle guy) didn't think of inside a vehicle. For a wheel man this would be perfect.

You were getting there, as soon as you sat behind the wheel it would hit you ;). Try the bungee idea, while writing it I also thought that instead of bows, plus the loop through and run a pin and ring through each 550 cord the rings together and instant rip cord to detach. Have not tried the pin idea yet, so no feedback from me, but the pull the bows is pretty fast ( so you can change shoulders if you de-ass the car

ss58
02-03-2016, 03:41 PM
Stocked pistol. For me the spork

Its what I HAVE all the time.

WinstonSmith
02-03-2016, 06:41 PM
if you de-ass the car

Haha - I first heard Nichols use that phrase at the CQB class. Ah. Memories...

Greg Nichols
02-03-2016, 06:43 PM
I think mine was un-ass, same thing.

Dorkface
02-03-2016, 09:26 PM
When I am evaluating the usefulness of something for myself I start with a couple of assumptions. That it must give me enough of an advantage over the rmr 19 I carry to warrant use. It should also be able to do things that my rmr can't do. I can do a lot with my rmr 19.

I have been an opponent of the idea of the smg because it doesn't offer enough enough advantages to me to off set its size, weight, portability and offers zero advantage in ammo. They do offer more points of contact and shot recovery. I think the advent of the braced pistol should be the death stroke of the idea of a semi auto smg, especially if its not an sbr, because the braced glock looks to do everything except much better and in a much smaller package.

Some of the advantages that seem apparent with the braced glock are it provides the advantages of a small amount of increased weight to provide more points of contact as well as quicker follow up shots plus it adds very little, if any length, compared to where a glock would normally be in a compressed position. It doesn't offer an increase in any ballistics properties but I think it can easily be offset with the fact that its extremely portable. Things like putting the brace in your luggage on a trip or a briefcase or laptop bag to augment the glock on the belt. It also doesn't seem to be that big of a deal to have a glock preset up in pretty tiny package that fits in a small bag from what I have been seeing in the thread Brent has running right now. It seems like it would be well suited for very desecrate situations or places where a larger then typical bag could be out of place and as much risk needs to be mitigated as can be.

Then there is ballistic advantage. This one is pretty self explanatory. Things like AR pistols, braced 556(r) pistols, braced ak pistols and the like obviously give tremendous advantage over an rmr 19, braced glock and the smg. Rifle rounds are rifle rounds after all. Everything from range to penetration and everything in between. Bad guys in body armor, cars, barriers; All in a package that is the size of an sbr smg especially if folding adapters are used for compact storage while being toted around. A virtual flood of advantage to off set the increase in size, weight, bulk and whatever other inconveniences that come along with it. It might not use the same mags and ammo as my carry gun but that's ok. That is the point.