PDA

View Full Version : FOLDING MECHANISMS--Whats out there

EDELWEISS
02-01-2016, 05:37 AM
So.........
What are the available options?

What are the Pros & Cons of each mechanism?

What is/are the DISADVANTAGE(s) of using a folding device? Can they be "corrected"?

What mods are needed to use them? Weight? Strength? Cost? Lock/Unlock type of release? Lock folded-is it necessary/is it an advantage?

What what what.....

chad newton
02-01-2016, 08:13 AM
A folder to me would make it a permanent fixture. The stock has to be able to be attached and detached quickly. Only advantage I see to keeping it on would be in a proactive situation, in that case why wouldn't we just use a rifle? Idk, a cool idea but I'm not sure the stock is 100% viable because you are still going to have to carry it around some how.

chad newton
02-01-2016, 08:22 AM
One option with a folder is to hang it by a single point sling under arm.

Vigilant
02-01-2016, 08:31 AM
LAW Tactical, simply the best so far.
Pros:

1. Easy to install (Gen3M)
2. Built like a tank
3. Positive lock up
4. Non-locking while folded(easy to deploy) yet stays folded without locking
5. Reliable (so far 6-650 rounds no noticeable changes)

Cons:

1. Expensive $240-269
2. "Heavy" 8.5 oz. ish
3. Adds 2+inches while open

ive had one now for a couple months, it is rock solid. As stated in other threads, maybe a bit heavy and over-built to attach to a plastic "brace" on a pistol based PDW, but there is no getting around it being the best aftermarket folder out there to date.

osoosi
02-01-2016, 05:28 PM
http://www.usmachinegun.com/proddetail.php?prod=SF-ARAD2

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

osoosi
02-01-2016, 05:29 PM
Us machine gun above post. Locks open and closed.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

warriorscience4u
02-02-2016, 02:30 PM
I like the Israeli made CCA units that were at SHOT.

I guess were I inclined to drop the coin on something like that, I'd go with their build, but I probably won't get into that market anytime soon.

There's too much hybridization of markets going on, just for the purpose of making a sale? I was raised/trained on single point sling shooting those sized pistols anyway, so it's kind of an empty market for me.

However, there IS some REALLY cool shit out there.

Sorry, It's the CAA Co.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHE8n8FJM_w

CaptBeach
02-02-2016, 05:03 PM
Law folder is AFAIK the best one out there right now...solid, well engineered but heavy...and pricey...if they switched to Ti and kept the price the same they would have to run 3 shifts, 24/7/365 to keep up with demand...Gabe could corner the market coming out with a competing design that was 1/2 the weight.

GemJedi
02-02-2016, 08:33 PM
A folder to me would make it a permanent fixture. The stock has to be able to be attached and detached quickly. Only advantage I see to keeping it on would be in a proactive situation, in that case why wouldn't we just use a rifle? Idk, a cool idea but I'm not sure the stock is 100% viable because you are still going to have to carry it around some how.

The reason to use the braced pistol instead of a rifle in a proactive situation, at least in Illinois, is because with a concealed carry permit I can travel with a loaded pistol but not a loaded rifle. Pulling out a loaded and chambered braced pistol will be faster than having to pull out a rifle and load the magazine and chamber the round. My goal is to have an accessible carry case in my car with the folded braced pistol already attached, for a proactive need where it is a better option than my AIWB RMR'd pistol. Perhaps this is a narrow set of circumstances but if it was a nil proposition then I would need neither the braced pistol nor rifle.

Gabriel Suarez
02-03-2016, 07:19 AM
in that case why wouldn't we just use a rifle?

I hope we don't get into the same tired discussion of the smg vs the rifle. If we had that type of closed minded POV, we would all be toting around 1911s and scout rifles.

DutchV
02-03-2016, 08:17 AM
Ace and Stormwerkz both make short folding mechanisms that could be adapted to the Glock and buffer tube PDW. Neither one would work on an AR. The LAW folder is a lot better but also longer and heavier.

noonesshowmonkey
02-03-2016, 10:34 AM

I hope we don't get into the same tired discussion of the smg vs the rifle. If we had that type of closed minded POV, we would all be toting around 1911s and scout rifles.

These kinds of discussions always make me wonder why bother with adapting a buffer tube'd AR-15 at all. There's a few pistol-sized piston-driven rifles out there. They don't have the market support that the AR does, but so what? If your goal is a specific size driven, task oriented thing, then what's wrong with using a purpose built weaponsystem for that? And doesn't a LAW folder on an 7.5" AR already make that weapon into something of a purpose built item anyways?

There's Sig 556 pistols, Cz Bren 805 pistols, and the new Sig MCX. All are side folding, and the MCX even runs the .300 BO, which is the cartridge to have in a shorty like this.

I'm sort of lost, here.

I have my 16" midlength. The next purchase would be a .300 upper shorty upper for it. Or, a .300 BO MCX pistol to SBR.

Folding adapters for the Glock make great sense to me. We already have a ton of Glocks in circulation, we have stocked up parts, mags, great aftermarket, etc. and the folder doesn't reduce or otherwise modify the basic functionality of the weaponsystem. Going through the vicissitudes to adapt an AR15 to that role just feels like an (expensive) exercise.

CaptBeach
02-03-2016, 10:49 AM

I sure am glad my dentist has more the one tool...imagine if he just had one pair of pliers...tools...right or best tool for the job at hand.

EDELWEISS
02-03-2016, 10:58 AM
.....guys I was just trying to see what options were available for EITHER the Glock/ENDO as it is NOW or if there might be some other things to look at??? I do think something beside a buffer tube (flat like the SIG stock) would be better IF we can find away....

Housertl
02-03-2016, 11:46 AM
.....guys I was just trying to see what options were available for EITHER the Glock/ENDO as it is NOW or if there might be some other things to look at??? I do think something beside a buffer tube (flat like the SIG stock) would be better IF we can find away....

B&T has a pretty sweet, thin version of the original brace for their new subguns. Still in the prototype stage, but damn slick. I saw it on some youtube vid about their APC and APR.

bassbones
02-04-2016, 05:54 PM
The Hera Arms SFU looks shorter than other similar folders....its priced about the same as the LSS.

JB

DutchV
02-04-2016, 06:00 PM
The Hera Arms SFU looks shorter than other similar folders....its priced about the same as the LSS.

JB

The Hera would be perfect for a Glock PDW. No adapters needed.