PDA

View Full Version : Glock PDW Comparisons

Brent Yamamoto
01-31-2016, 07:16 PM
G35 with folder next to G19 no folder:
The G19 package is SO small. I think a unit exactly as shown above is THE answer for some applications. With a jacket and sling (for a big guy a strong side holster would even work), this will truly give you an accuracy edge.

Folded:
The folder is still a much smaller package for bag carry. Imagine how small the folding unit would be on a G19.

A close up of the G19 modification:

I should have taken more pics but Yondering can post some more of his.

Brent Yamamoto
01-31-2016, 07:27 PM
Guys please feel free to post more, but let's keep this thread to comparisons of the Glock PDW. Folders, modifications, options, etc. Let's keep this one different from the other threads.

barnetmill
01-31-2016, 10:10 PM
Can that hinged folder be fired when it is folded?

Brent Yamamoto
01-31-2016, 10:19 PM
Yes. The folder doesn't lock open and I don't think it would be ideal but it would work in an emergency.

While I think it would be nice if the folder locked open, I don't think it's that important. There are different things you could do, velcro, NPE holster attached to the brace, etc, but when I pull this from the bag I don't want to deal with any additional drama or issues. I just draw the weapon and lock the folder.

Obviously mine is set up for grasping with the right hand. It could be fired from here...in a case where that was necessary I'm thinking speed is probably going to be the priority over precision marksmanship.

barnetmill
01-31-2016, 10:37 PM
Yes. The folder doesn't lock open and I don't think it would be ideal but it would work in an emergency.

While I think it would be nice if the folder locked open, I don't think it's that important. There are different things you could do, velcro, NPE holster attached to the brace, etc, but when I pull this from the bag I don't want to deal with any additional drama or issues. I just draw the weapon and lock the folder.

Obviously mine is set up for grasping with the right hand. It could be fired from here...in a case where that was necessary I'm thinking speed is probably going to be the priority over precision marksmanship.
What SI is now selling comes with that ATF letter of legal approval, hopefully that hinge does not change anything. I have the basic unit on order now and guessing I can expect it within a week.
I am asking a lot of question because I am very interested.

Brent Yamamoto
01-31-2016, 10:40 PM
Don't see why the hinge would change anything...

Dorkface
01-31-2016, 10:46 PM
Don't see why the hinge would change anything...

Its a shoulder thing that goes up! :razz:

TFA303
02-01-2016, 08:50 AM
The difference in the size between the 19 and 35 doesn't seem to be the crucial part. I think the foldable model is clearly more convenient and thus more likely to be with you when you need it, regardless of the pistol to which you'll mate it.

Brent Yamamoto
02-01-2016, 09:10 AM
The folder obviously makes sense for bag carry.

The G19 in this role comes into its own under a jacket. Think church security, certain undercover CT operations, personal protection, etc. This is a different category than "everyday CCW"...this role is for individuals with a specific job at particular events.

Greg Nichols
02-01-2016, 10:33 AM
I think of mounting one in something like this with a fastix buckle on the mounting point on the rear of the arm brace. yo roll the bac from the rear to the front and rip the cover open from the small end, the gun drops out and locks the folding system in place and you pop the buckle to release it from the carrier. Mounted inside are mag pouches with happy sticks, bleeder kit, flashlight, and a plate in the compartment that would hold the laptop.

http://www.511tactical.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/220x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/58603/018/58603_018_01.jpg

StealthNeighbor
02-01-2016, 10:39 AM
Is that a Law Tactical folder interspersed between the "yolk" part (I'm probably NOT using the proper nomenclature here) and the arm brace in the top picture?

Brent Yamamoto
02-01-2016, 12:39 PM
The folder I purchased is from MDTTAC. It works well for this application, it's solid without being overkill. I'm sure there are lighter units that would work well but I haven't tried them (and I didn't want to waste money on something that turns out to be trash).

The Law Tactical is definitely a good piece of kit, but it's overkill for this application. The benefit of the Law Tac is that it will friction lock open, which is great...but what you're paying for is the functionality with the AR buffer tube. That is not needed for the Glock PDW.

Gabriel Suarez
02-01-2016, 01:13 PM
Honestly guys...after working with them a little...unless I find something new, I am going to stick with the Endo-KAK-Shockwave unit and forego the folders. Compactness is fine, but the main attribute needs to be shootability, not foldability. Too long and its hard to use...too heavy and its hard to use.

Badger
02-01-2016, 04:12 PM
This thread might be a good sticky.

DogDoc
02-01-2016, 04:16 PM
This thread might be a good sticky.

Most of Brent's threads would be good stickys.

Doc

steve_k
02-01-2016, 06:19 PM
Can the folder be rotated 180 degrees so us lefties can use it while the brace is still folded to the right?

Brent Yamamoto
02-01-2016, 06:39 PM
Can the folder be rotated 180 degrees so us lefties can use it while the brace is still folded to the right?

yep. Works just as well for you wrong-handers!

Danneskjold
02-02-2016, 05:30 AM
yep. Works just as well for you wrong-handers!

That's racist!

steve_k
02-02-2016, 06:52 AM
That's racist!

I'm going to pull the lefty card!

Vigilant
02-02-2016, 07:12 AM
I'm going to pull the lefty card!
Crap, does that mean we're minorities, and can line up for .gov $$'s? Way easier to buy kit when .gov is buying the food!

StealthNeighbor
02-03-2016, 01:16 PM
I noticed that the PDW kit doesn't list the G19 as compatible...but the first pic is of a G19 so equipped...

Please explain/advise...and thanks.

Yondering
02-03-2016, 01:25 PM
I noticed that the PDW kit doesn't list the G19 as compatible...but the first pic is of a G19 so equipped...

Please explain/advise...and thanks.

Look at the third pic and the caption.

That one is mine; I've posted a bit about how I did it in a couple threads, but not sure which ones now.

StealthNeighbor
02-03-2016, 02:02 PM
Ok, let me re-phrase:

Is there any reason why the Gen 3 G19 is specifically NOT listed in the OST literature for purchase?

Thanks in advance.

Gabriel Suarez
02-03-2016, 02:16 PM
Ok, let me re-phrase:

Is there any reason why the Gen 3 G19 is specifically NOT listed in the OST literature for purchase?

Thanks in advance.

Because invariably someone would buy the kit...thinking it is an instant drop in fit for the 19, and then waste time wanting to send it back because it doesn't fit.

It fits and is made for the 17-22. As Yondering and others have shown, it can be gunsmithed to fit Glock 19s and well as Gen 4 units....but that is on the end user and not on me.