View Full Version : MORE ON THE PDW - PORTABILITY METHODS

Gabriel Suarez
01-28-2016, 07:44 AM

CaptBeach
01-28-2016, 07:46 AM
Very nice...oal is 18-20"?

Brent Yamamoto
01-28-2016, 07:51 AM
Nice-looking bag. I have a messenger bag l with some customizations that is my primary for this kind of thing, but it is loaned out at the moment. In the meantime:

EDELWEISS
01-28-2016, 07:52 AM
Is that a Sneaky "Trick or Treat" Bag? Large or Medium?

Vigilant
01-28-2016, 10:20 AM
Is that a Sneaky "Trick or Treat" Bag? Large or Medium?
Gabe's appears to be a 5.11 messenger bag, Brent's appears to be a laptop case?

Seadragon
02-04-2016, 07:29 PM
Just saw this bag advertised - might just fit the Glock PDW. It's designed for the Ruger 10/22 takedown.

http://www.ammoland.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/CB-1020-det-open.jpg?18427b
http://truthaboutguns-zippykid.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Copper-Basin-Riger-1022-courtesy-ammoland.com_.jpg

It allows quick access from the top as well. Now if it was just a sling bag with a pocket for soft armor ...

http://www.copperbasingear.com/ruger-1022-takedown-pack.php

Brent Yamamoto
02-04-2016, 11:05 PM

CaptBeach
02-05-2016, 07:38 AM
Like that TIMBUK2 bag...wondering if a LAW Folded AR15 7.5" 556 or 9mm Pistol would fit?

Brent Yamamoto
02-05-2016, 07:44 AM
Capt, yes, a short barrel like that would fit. My 10.5 barrel AR fits, though it is a VERY tight fit.

Vigilant
02-05-2016, 08:10 AM
Just saw this bag advertised - might just fit the Glock PDW. It's designed for the Ruger 10/22 takedown.

http://www.ammoland.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/CB-1020-det-open.jpg?18427b
http://truthaboutguns-zippykid.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Copper-Basin-Riger-1022-courtesy-ammoland.com_.jpg

It allows quick access from the top as well. Now if it was just a sling bag with a pocket for soft armor ...

http://www.copperbasingear.com/ruger-1022-takedown-pack.phpNow THAT is as covert as I have seen!

CR Williams
02-05-2016, 08:11 AM
I have an extra-large Timbuk2 messenger bag that I can run anything up to 20" length out of.

BoyScout
02-10-2016, 08:16 AM
So what is the OAL? 20" I'm still looking at all the bags/packs/briefcases I have in my closet and wondering which ones will work.

tfullerpipes
10-07-2016, 08:04 AM
Deleted and restated elsewhere.

Sigma05
10-07-2016, 09:03 AM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/CanaryLupo/Shooting/49517CDF-F5A5-451F-ACFC-D635092CB89D.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/CanaryLupo/Shooting/EB204E55-71CD-41A5-994E-CBC41870A460.jpg

I got this one made by 5.11. Quality is outstanding and specifically designed for PDW use. It was designed around the MP5 so the Scorpion with 30 round mag fits perfectly. Once you open outer panel it has a ton of molle all over the inside for pouches of all kinds. It also has a small sling to attach to the PDW to keep it secure. It has a slot to insert armor if you wish. I remember seeing the demo of this bag at SHOT many years ago and talked to the designer. Very well thought out, built and somewhat discreet. Not shown, is a removable pouch on the carry strap that allows for a compact pistol like a G19. This allows for a secondary backup.

DopeForWind
10-07-2016, 12:37 PM
I really like that EVO setup. Is it there a brace of some kind on it?

Sigma05
10-07-2016, 01:25 PM
I really like that EVO setup. Is it there a brace of some kind on it?

No brace. I use SAS technique with sling. Works better than I expected and keeps a lower profile for concealment.

DopeForWind
10-08-2016, 01:51 PM
Thanks, I'll have to try that.

Gabriel Suarez
10-08-2016, 02:32 PM
The so-called SAS sling method works for preset linear assaults...AND NOTHING ELSE.
. And the SAS uses it experimentally due to inability to get a cheek-weld or even a shoulder mount due to wearing a rebreathing unit.

Prove me wrong...bring that set up to class and show me how well it works.

EDELWEISS
10-08-2016, 03:10 PM
No brace. I use SAS technique with sling. Works better than I expected and keeps a lower profile for concealment.

The so-called SAS sling method works for preset linear assaults...AND NOTHING ELSE.
. And the SAS uses it experimentally due to inability to get a cheek-weld or even a shoulder mount due to wearing a rebreathing unit.

Yeah I Gabe's 100%. I really wanted the sling method to work. I tried it with several different guns. The best results that I got were with a Vz61 Skorpion (the 32acp Skorpion). It worked best because it was just a oversized pistol, not a SMG packaged as a pistol. There was LOTS of discussion about it back in the pre SIG Brace days. It is better than free handing the big pistols; but its really not a solution. That being said take Gabe up on the offer, to see the difference that a brace can offer.

Brent Yamamoto
10-08-2016, 03:23 PM
I worked on the SAS sling technique quite a bit. I wanted it to work, but I was never satisfied with it.

Sigma05
10-08-2016, 03:39 PM

Gabe, I don't have an inkling of the experience you do and value all your feedback greatly. I was introduced to the "SAS" technique at the H&K MP certification course. We were working inside and around vehicles and I was running a UMP45. I asked about running it with the stock folded and that is when the instructor intruded me to the technique. For what we were doing at the moment it worked well, but have not experimented much in more complicated circumstances. I will definitely try it out. I got the Scorpion precisely because I wanted a PDW without a stock or brace, even though there quite a few options available for it. So far I've been very please with it but definitely need to run it more to see what its shortcomings may be. Thanks again for the heads up.

randyho
10-08-2016, 05:24 PM
home-grown velcro panel?

jlwilliams
10-09-2016, 07:48 AM
Gabe, what is your take on transporting with the Endo and brace detached? Advantage in portability vs time to set up. Is there a great advantage to setting up a dedicated unit vs keeping a brace for a typical, daily carry RDS equipped Glock? Holstered sidearm transition to PDW during a terror attack, or is that more likely to waste time?

Brent Yamamoto
10-09-2016, 08:25 AM
Gabe, what is your take on transporting with the Endo and brace detached? Advantage in portability vs time to set up. Is there a great advantage to setting up a dedicated unit vs keeping a brace for a typical, daily carry RDS equipped Glock? Holstered sidearm transition to PDW during a terror attack, or is that more likely to waste time?

Not Gabe but my 2 cents...

A dedicated PDW is the way to go. In a fast developing event, you may not even have time to pull out your dedicated PDW from it's bag, let alone attach a brace. Something unfolding across the room you're going to draw your pistol and deal with it that way. A little more time and space will allow you to draw your PDW. More time and space still, and you could attach the brace...but I think that is the least ideal.

I can imagine times when having an extra, unattached brace would be beneficial but I don't think it's ideal.

If you only have one pistol, you could attach it for a more capable bedside gun.

If you simply cannot carry a bag that is big enough, either by size or weight, you can fit the brace in a smaller bag. An event would have to be extended enough to afford the time to do so, which is possible but you also have to factor in the aftermath. With a dedicated PDW and bag, you can put that thing away quickly. That's more difficult to do when you have to take the thing apart before you can stow it...and the longer an event takes the more likely law enforcement will be there.

Perhaps hiking in the woods. You don't want to carry two guns, but something happens and you have time to attach the thing. But now you're carrying it like a carbine, and without the safety on the gun it's less than ideal.

The brace can be attached quickly but you lose precious seconds. Even if you practice it a lot, it WILL require that you focus your attention on it, taking your awareness away from where it should be. And remember you are doing this under stress...it's not hard to do but it does require some fine motor skill. Will the situation give you time to do so?

An unattached brace will give you some options but don't be under the illusion that it's anywhere close to ideal.

DogDoc
10-09-2016, 09:03 AM
My G17 PDW with threaded barrel and an XLR folder fits in a regular laptop bag.
The XLR folder is great for this application. It vastly improves the versatility and flexibility of carry for the system.
The folder makes for more efficient use of safe space as well.
Smaller is better.

Brent Yamamoto
10-09-2016, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the reminder Doc...

If you need a smaller bag, get a quality folder for your dedicated PDW. This is a much better method than an unattached brace.

jlwilliams
10-09-2016, 05:11 PM
Good thoughts. Thank you.

I think that your right about a separate stock being good for back packing or hiking, where converting from sidearm to "small game" mode is less time and adrenaline pressured. Since I switched to a RMR Glock, I have put some thought into the fact (my opinion at least) that as great a fighting rig as it is, it's a really good woods gun. The ability to make a longer than typical defensive shot could be huge if one were lost and hurt in the woods for a few days. It happens. Normally I carry in the woods because of felons and feral dogs etc, but if my leg was broken and I was alone for a while, eating a rabbit would be a good thing. Basically, an optic equipped handgun on belt is better than a "survival rifle" in the trunk of a car. The brace as an option makes it even more so.

GemJedi
10-17-2016, 08:07 PM
http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?131366-My-New-Truck-Gun

I have been testing this case and it seems pretty inconspicuous when carried from my car to my office tucked under my arm next to my briefcase shoulder strap. While in transit, I would go to my AIWB, but in a proactive situation in my car or my office, I am glad to have the PDW.

btw, I carry a copy of the BATF Blade opinion letter in the case.

Scott
11-06-2016, 08:32 AM
GemJedi:

Which opinion letter do you have printed up?

I presume not this one:

https://www.atf.gov/file/11816/download

GemJedi
11-06-2016, 08:04 PM
Scott, no I mean the one that comes with the PDW from Suarez International. (http://www.onesourcetactical.com/pdw-kit-for-glock-pistols.aspx#.WB_81mPiP0g).

Features:

Quick and easy to install
Provides additional support during firing
Blade weighs a scant 5.0 ounces
ATF approved for pistol use (approval letter included with each stabilizer)*
Veteran designed, engineered, marketed, and sold
Made in U.S.A.