PDA

View Full Version : RMR for Dangerous Game

EDELWEISS
01-10-2016, 01:51 PM
As the LION hunt gets closer, Ive been "chatting up" the PH with emails, mostly about wheres, whens, whats etc; but occasionally the talk turns to gear. RSA requires 375H&H as a minimum for Dangerous Game, that gives me 3 options: a scoped bolt action in 375HH, a single shot 577NE. and a 470 NE Double Rifle. Ive decided to use the 470 Merkel. Its Afrika after all...

My PH says he wont choose guns for me but I should be prepared to hit a baseball at 70 yards. Honestly thats tougher than it sounds, or maybe it just tougher for me with the Merkel. Im comfortable with say a paper plate at 100 yards offhand. A set of sticks gets me down to maybe a softball a 50 yards. The issues are multi fold. One is ME Id be lying if I said otherwise, I just dont shoot the 470 that much and express sights are meant for big things up close. Yes the scoped 375H&H is the easy button but I want to use the Merkel!

So after holding my breath until I turned blue and stomped my foot, I started looking for ideas (besides another rifle....), then it came to me like a smack on the back of the head, why not use a RMR on the big Double.

It turns out Im behind the curve on this, Trijicon even has mounts for big doubles.. Now the question is WHICH ONE and WHAT SIZE dot? Conventional wisdom says use a small dot, (1MOA or 3.5MOA); but a 6.5MOA or 7MOA (Dual Illum) seems like a better idea as a reticle for bith precise aiming at distance and close range charges. Im actually tempted to use to use the 12.9MOA TRIANGLE....with the top point for distance and the center for close situations.

So the battery versions are only available with a red dot; but the dual powered versions are yellow or green. I run a 13MOA dual powered round dot on my G17 and a 6.5MOA battery on my G35/357SIG, so Im used to both. I like the big 13MOA on a combat pistol, but the 357SIG is my combat gun when I know Im gonna be in a place where longer shot are possible. Im worried about a yellow dot against a LION, green seems better???

BKern
01-10-2016, 05:21 PM
3.5 MOA would just about match your baseball for size at 70 yards. But 6.5 MOA will be easier to pick up quickly. The triangle idea also sounds good.

It it sounds like you are going to have to get a mount and borrow some RMRs.

JimD
01-10-2016, 05:48 PM
That dude you have a picture of is Ivan Carter. Why not try to email him and ask him? He has a show on the outdoor channel.

Steve Collins
01-10-2016, 06:11 PM
He's on Facebook too. Might try him there, as well.

EDELWEISS
01-10-2016, 06:49 PM
That dude you have a picture of is Ivan Carter. Why not try to email him and ask him? He has a show on the outdoor channel.

He's on Facebook too. Might try him there, as well.

Hahaha I stole the pic from the Trijicon site....