PDA

View Full Version : SELECTING THE HD-PDW (HOME DEFENSE - PDW)

Gabriel Suarez
01-10-2016, 09:12 AM
Selecting The Home PDW

1). THE AYOOB PLAN: If you live alone, the threat level is low (a couple of urban thugs vs. an ISIS hit team), your skill dedication is low, and your plan is to hunker down and call 911 - then get a shotgun with at least a 4 round magazine shoot it once a year and hope for the best. If its been a really long time since you have lifted anything but a chicken leg on the way to your mouth and have to use those velcro shoes...get a 20 gauge.

2). THE TACTICAL GUY PLAN: Regardless of where you live, keep a full set of armor plates in a chest rig carrier, festooned with magazines, and a bump helmet with a PVS14 attached right next to your slidefire equipped famous maker PDW with the drum magazine. If they get past the concertina wire and the attack dogs, you go SEAL6 all over their ass.

3). THE MORE LIKELY PLAN: You do not want to be an "average guy" so you have some degree of skills. And whether your family is made up of combatants or bystanders, you take them into consideration. If they are combatants, they have their own weapons...if they are not, you are not going to rely on them...but still have to deal with their presence in the AO.

So you will have something that you can shoot people in the face with from the bedroom to any place along the house. Your HD-PDW will be zeroed for the farthest reaches of your house...for a face shot. All things being equal, a stocked weapon is more accurate than a non-stocked weapon. And all things being equal, having more ammo is better. And...if one can do this silently, one will do so. Face shots, ear canal shots, and back of the head/neck shots eliminate concerns over body armor...or worries about terminal ballistics.

The notion of warning a home invader is the silliest thing you could ever do. You do not want them to run away, you want them dead so you will not have to deal with them again another time. So you will hunt them in your home and eliminate them.

So...IMHO...forget shotguns...forget 308 rifles...forget anything other than an SBR. 300 BO? Sure...not a bad idea and you can suppress it. Same for 5.56 SBR. But in either case...FACE SHOTS not body shots. It is true...there is armor that will stop both rounds. How likely that YOUR bad guys will be thus equipped? I don't know...maybe you can answer that better. But IF the armor is present, and IF you are focusing on face shots ANYWAY...why not just stay with a 9mm semiauto pseudo-SBR?

Silent face shots in the dark from across the house are quite possible...here is what I am leaning toward more and more.

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/12342723_865111796937891_1114015311206166613_n.jpg ?oh=601315acd348c4bd713dd1a8fcb2817b&oe=57442537

Dark One
01-10-2016, 09:33 AM
That's it! Ordering and making the mods for my G19!!!

LawDog
01-10-2016, 11:24 AM
It'll take me a while to get all of the pieces together, but I think I'm going full Honey Badger.

DogDoc
01-10-2016, 01:02 PM
Gabe, any more news on you getting some kits together?
I'm ready when you are.

Doc

WinstonSmith
01-10-2016, 01:47 PM
It'll take me a while to get all of the pieces together, but I think I'm going full Honey Badger.

This has been in my mind for awhile as well. As in, if I could start my armory over from scratch, I would make this the first long gun after RMR pistols.

coastalcop
01-11-2016, 08:33 AM
Was spitballing here, got a couple of the adapters. A fixed stock tube is about an inch longer than the pistol tube. As we are mandated .40 I decided to do a ROUGH mockup of an idea ( it's hockey tape guys, just to get some measurements, so it ain't pretty)

22 rand spare mag on endo. Will do a more perm attach and put it through its paces. Reloads are great, have to look at retention with movement. L/r transition no problem.

This is a pistol tube, I believe the a2 tube would allow enough clearance for the happy stick in the same location.

cwood
01-11-2016, 09:10 AM
If the stabilizer tube was modified to hold that spare magazine, wouldn't that be the ultimate way to carry it?

coastalcop
01-11-2016, 09:16 AM
If the stabilizer tube was modified to hold that spare magazine, wouldn't that be the ultimate way to carry it?

Given the dimensions (OD of mag larger than OD of tube) and length of mag vice length of shockwave/tube I don't see a way to do it in that manner. Some ideas focused on replacing the tube portion with a spare mag (some experimental Russian SMG use this) but it is getting pretty far afield from the PISTOL vice SBR concept.

continuing that concept, I suppose the area where the buffer tube is attached to the ENDO could be remolded/modified with around three inches of rectangular tube incorporating a mag catch/release. Seat a long spare in the back and you have a "brace" and it might secure the mag with a snug fit. Though you would lose the advantages of the brace if you had to change mags (barring replacing the full mag with an empty of similar length)

blastjv
01-11-2016, 10:06 AM
Any do you need a longer tube? Why not just extend the shockwave a bit? Careful about adding an A2 tube which could readily take a stock, etc...

coastalcop
01-11-2016, 10:16 AM
Any do you need a longer tube? Why not just extend the shockwave a bit? Careful about adding an A2 tube which could readily take a stock, etc...

if youre worried, run a pip cutter over the end of the tube, makes it a hollow tube unable to accept a stock. You don't need to run a buffer assembly through it.

Yondering
01-11-2016, 10:25 AM
The shockwave brace won't fit an A2 tube, or a cut down carbine tube for that matter. You could wrap something around the tube to make it fit the shockwave, but why?

CR Williams
01-11-2016, 10:35 AM
if youre worried, run a pip cutter over the end of the tube, makes it a hollow tube unable to accept a stock. You don't need to run a buffer assembly through it.

I wish somebody would make a tube with a screw cap on it so you could use it for storage if you didn't need the buffer in it.

blastjv
01-11-2016, 10:36 AM
if youre worried, run a pip cutter over the end of the tube, makes it a hollow tube unable to accept a stock. You don't need to run a buffer assembly through it.There was a typo in my question. I meant "Why" do you need a longer tube? I'm not worried at all - I'm not building this, you are! ;) Haha!

Mr. Anthony
01-11-2016, 10:44 AM
Does anyone have any "ears-on" experience shooting suppressed 300 supersonic vs unsuppressed 9mm indoors without hearing protection?

krav51
01-11-2016, 10:54 AM
Does anyone have any "ears-on" experience shooting suppressed 300 supersonic vs unsuppressed 9mm indoors without hearing protection?

Good question.I'm wondering if the combat vets out there can elaberate on what it's like to have had to fire an M4 indoors and if they sustained any long term effects.

coastalcop
01-11-2016, 11:14 AM
The shockwave brace won't fit an A2 tube, or a cut down carbine tube for that matter. You could wrap something around the tube to make it fit the shockwave, but why?

will fit, tried it, have one set up like this. set screw just goes in further but has positive engagement, prefer the pistol tube though for length

DogDoc
01-11-2016, 11:44 AM

I've shot a 45acp Glock indoors unsuppressed. It wasn't bad at all. Wouldn't recommend it repeatedly but I was pleasantly surprized. My 300 BLK pistol (9" barrel) supersonic with a can is quieter than the unsuppressed Glock was.

Doc

Yondering
01-11-2016, 01:14 PM

Yes, unsuppressed 9mm pistol is a lot louder than suppressed 300 or 5.56 AR. Even a .22 pistol unsuppressed is louder. Both may ring your ears indoors, but the 9mm is definitely worse, and on the AR it depends a lot how the gun is set up.

EDELWEISS
01-12-2016, 05:52 AM
https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/12342723_865111796937891_1114015311206166613_n.jpg ?oh=601315acd348c4bd713dd1a8fcb2817b&oe=57442537

Coastal....Great Idea and I guess Great minds think alike, cuz I was doing my own spitballing of a similar nature. I had a couple ideas, first was using the two horizontal slots to run a elastic/velcro strap through to hold a mag pouch.

Then I thought a mag holder silimar to the NPE "Zack" type, mounted under the bottom of the Endo (pull the mag to the rear) made more sense--It keeps the weight closer to the pistol, acts like a mag "feedway", and removing the mag from the rear seems more "natural" to me....plus a G18 mag would fit.

Im thinking a kydex wizard could do it, possibly even for two mags (one on each side/ mag and light/ two lights/ mag and suppressor holder/ ???)

coastalcop
01-12-2016, 06:10 AM
Edel,

While kicking these ideas around I was looking a the Safariland kydex mag holders for duty belts. The are offered in both bullet forward and bullet facing out (narrower profile on the belt) that and some Chicago screws might be a good starting point. Still kicking around ideas..........

ERN
01-12-2016, 06:35 AM
Gabe: this post made me chuckle. "Ayoob plan" "Tactical guy plan". Love it.