PDA

View Full Version : Wrist Gauntlets?

Blade Doc
02-03-2004, 11:41 PM
J. Keating wears a plain leather wrist gauntlet in his flexible weapon tapes. He uses the gauntlet as "armor" to protect his wrist during knife disarms. MacYoung also recommends wearing gauntlets in his "Pool Cues" book.

Any thoughts on wearing the gauntlet as armor or an offensive tool (gauntlet with studs)?

Where is the best place to purchase a leather wrist gauntlet that could offer some protection?

Charles Rives
02-04-2004, 01:43 AM
I think they might be viable but have a hard time imagining some that most people could wear without looking too aggressive and drawing a lot of unwanted attention. It's hard for me to imagine any with studs that wouldn't make you look like you just escaped from a Judas Priest heavy metal rock band reunion.

If you're in some parts of the country, you might be able to do something like have a leather wrist guantlet made with some southwestern silver or turqoise on it. The metal and stones might be as functional as studs without drawing the attention.

Chuck

mako25
02-04-2004, 07:08 AM
There are also some new styles of watches that have a much wider band. If the watch is beefy enough it could also be used offensively.

Pogo the Clown
02-04-2004, 02:39 PM
J. Keating wears a plain leather wrist gauntlet in his flexible weapon tapes. He uses the gauntlet as "armor" to protect his wrist during knife disarms. MacYoung also recommends wearing gauntlets in his "Pool Cues" book.

Any thoughts on wearing the gauntlet as armor or an offensive tool (gauntlet with studs)?

Where is the best place to purchase a leather wrist gauntlet that could offer some protection?
I've seen some leather gaunlets on E-Bay before,might want to check there.

Pikal
02-04-2004, 06:27 PM
I've seen full length kydex bracers that cover the whole forearm and are designed to be worn under the sleeves of your shirt - they were made by www.survivalsheath.com (http://www.survivalsheath.com) - neat stuff, and are the only guards I'd trust to protect from a knife/edged weapon.

Leather provides some resistance, but not a lot - it can be cut, and it isnt terribly stiff.
I wouldnt want to trust it to stop any kind of a dedicated attack, just protect me from incidental grazing nicks and cuts.
It does provide a little padding when working flow drills with trainers however, and thats what I have noticed most people using it for.

Check with James Keating's company ComTech, www.jamesakeating.com (http://www.jamesakeating.com) comtech@bmi.net and www.szaboinc.com (http://www.szaboinc.com) fo leather wrist guantlets for this sort of thing.

Mike Sastre
02-05-2004, 05:36 AM
There are wrist bands, and then there are gaunlets. The wrist bands are approximately 3" wide, and may or may not take much of a cut where they cover. The gaunlets cover most of the forearm, have three strips of spring steel covering the "good stuff" on the inner side, and offer good protection from a cut. These are what JAK is referring to when he uses the word armor. Both are made for him by master saddlemaker Santos Garcia and are of excellent quality. Gaunlets made of unyielding materials such as kydex are not very practical, as they are uncomfortable worn for any length of time, as anyone who has actually used them will tell you. They dig into the skin at either end when your wrist articulates, and they tend to promote heat and sweat. The spring steel lined gaunlets on the other hand, are supple, can be worn with all day comfort, and will form fit exactly to your arm so there is no giveaway signature, visual or auditory.