PDA

View Full Version : The RAID pack?

VaughnT
02-03-2004, 08:34 AM
For the longest time, now, I've been using a small cooler to carry my stuff in at work. It's nothing fancy, just your average wallyworld hard-insert lunchbox, but it was enough to hold a waterbottle, snack, and the little things I use during the day, like pen refills and ibuprofen.

Recently, it seems as though there is more and more stuff to be carried and it got me thinking about a better mousetrap. I'd like room for a decent medkit (lots of bandaids), more waterbottles and food in general. Maybe something big enough I could put my jacket in it if the weather is too warm when I get off. Maybe something big enough I could secure my pistol in it when I'm heading for the gym.

Anyhow, I got to looking around and I really couldn't find anything that I liked in the daypack world. I looked at the Camelbak HAWG, civilian market design, but it was too narrow by about an inch to hold my clipboard, nevermind being garishly colored for the hippies.

Has anyone tried the Raid pack? It looks smaller than the BHI 3-day pack, which is too big by far. Are the interior organizers durable and well-placed?

Am I being silly by thinking that this might work for a regular joe doing the nine-to-five thing?

RedDevil
02-03-2004, 01:07 PM
I've been looking at the RAID's as well to carry my gear to work. I am a little disappointed that Eagle raised the price on them by $20. Usually companies lower the price on a new product after it's been out awhile. I guess they're taking advantage of so many people wanting to buy them. I've also been looking at the Kifaru Marauder http://kifaru.net/MGmaraud.htm. Both seem kind of pricey for civilians use. Maxpedition and Specops Gear also make decent backpacks in the $100 range that have PALS attachments.

VaughnT
02-03-2004, 06:31 PM
RD, thanks for turning me on to Kifaru. I hadn't even heard of them, but the do look good, don't they?!

Like they say on their site, though, buying sight-unseen is mighty hard. Will my clipboard and other gear fit in the Scout model? Should I go with the gigunda model and find stuff to fill it?

I do like the internal organization possibilities with their line.

Have you seen any Maxpedition gear firsthand? I was interested in their fanny pack because it seemed to have interior organizers for the flashlights and such. Haven't found anyone that's actually used their stuff, though.

k9dpd
02-03-2004, 09:48 PM
I have a RAID and it is everything it is cracked up to be and more, I have some maxpedition gear and it is built like a tank I have the M-4 rifle case and the waist bag and I have a fatboy on order will be here today, very well built gear

RedDevil
02-03-2004, 10:27 PM
RD, thanks for turning me on to Kifaru. I hadn't even heard of them, but the do look good, don't they?!

Like they say on their site, though, buying sight-unseen is mighty hard. Will my clipboard and other gear fit in the Scout model? Should I go with the gigunda model and find stuff to fill it?

I do like the internal organization possibilities with their line.

Have you seen any Maxpedition gear firsthand? I was interested in their fanny pack because it seemed to have interior organizers for the flashlights and such. Haven't found anyone that's actually used their stuff, though.

I saw the Maxpedition gear at the SAR show in Phoenix and it did look very well built. I think I've settled on the Fatboy too because it will only be used to carry food/gear to work and errands around town and it has an attractive price. I even saw a guy using one as a diaper bag at the mall a couple of months ago.

What No Gravy?
02-04-2004, 12:47 AM
Another vote for Maxpedition Gear. I've got four of their items (2x Fat Boys, The Briefcase Bag and a Waist Pack, I dont remember what they are called!?!)all are built very well.

georgel
02-14-2004, 10:30 PM
I ran across a Camelbak BFM today. I was impressed. It's very much like a RAID pack in design, internal straps and compartments. Still pricey though at about $200.