PDA

View Full Version : Opportunities Are They Sought, Found, Made, or Luck?

Jon Payne
05-08-2015, 05:33 PM
How often do you search for the chance to be notable? How many times do you hear no, maybe, or later before you get a YES? Have you ever become tired of searching for an opportunity and made one? Ever notice when you take full advantage of getting a shot more often follow? Some may say luck is involved, others say they make their "luck". What shot have you taken? What chance have you passed up only to regret it later?

fidalgoman
05-08-2015, 07:51 PM
Carpe Diem!

JimD
05-09-2015, 06:03 AM
From Thoreau: If you advance confidently in the direction of your dreams, and endeavor to live the life which you have imagined, you will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.

Gabriel Suarez
05-09-2015, 06:37 AM
A good pirate is always looking for a good galleon...even while sleeping.

Puddle
05-09-2015, 07:23 AM
I believe in luck and I prepare every day for it.

Gabriel Suarez
05-09-2015, 07:28 AM
I was discussing this with Jon when he discovered a gold nugget that we can take advantage of. I commented to him that most people - even some of our friends - go through their lives at best with blinders on following only a very narrow path, and at worst, with their brain housing group firmly planted in their own arse. I commented that successful business people, entrepreneurs, and those of that mind set are constantly scanning the horizon, watching everything and everyone around them for an opportunity...not only to profit, but to excel.

Coach
05-09-2015, 01:03 PM
"I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more of it I have."
Thomas Jefferson

mcdxd
05-09-2015, 02:23 PM
After the crash in 2008, my very profitable real estate appraisal business went tits up. For years I struggled trying to come up with a new way to make things happen. Finally I realized that I was trapped by thinking only of the potential opportunities in the USA.

While I can't divulge what I am doing, I can say that third world countries, which are unfettered by excessive business regulations, are the new land of opportunity. So I am making profitable moves overseas. There is risk involved, but that is to be expected.

Don't just think locally or nationally. Think globally.

Gabriel Suarez
05-09-2015, 04:36 PM

Country may be country...but business is business.

Kolt
05-09-2015, 04:59 PM
A quote I read a long time ago stated "Luck is the result of preparation meeting opportunity."

I don't remember who said it, but I've never forgotten the actual statement.

Take care,
K

pangloss
05-09-2015, 05:44 PM
I think that there is a small element of randomness to it, but generally it's up to the individual to make things happen and to be aware of any opportunities that arise. Like Pasteur said, "chance favors the prepared mind."

EDIT: I can't remember where I read this, but I think it was in a thread here on WT. Anyway, some guy got on a plane and was in a seat beside a very successful businessman. The two were talking and got on the subject of job history. Anyway, the business said that you should always be looking for you next job. If you get a new job this afternoon, you should be looking for a better job tomorrow. The process never ends. (If whoever originally posted this story would refresh my memory on the details, I'd appreciate it. I think about this story often and regularly look for a new job. I've been at this job for less than 11 months and had an interview a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully more interviews will follow in the next couple of months.)

Puddle
05-09-2015, 06:30 PM
After the crash in 2008, my very profitable real estate appraisal business went tits up. For years I struggled trying to come up with a new way to make things happen. Finally I realized that I was trapped by thinking only of the potential opportunities in the USA.

While I can't divulge what I am doing, I can say that third world countries, which are unfettered by excessive business regulations, are the new land of opportunity. So I am making profitable moves overseas. There is risk involved, but that is to be expected.

+1

Looking back 2008 was the best damn thing to happen to us. Just as Gabe related our blinders were attached with loctite.

Circumstances forced us to re-imagine what we were as a company. We did the hard and necessary work and came through it such that we closed the books on 2014 with profits I wouldn't have dared to imagine back in 2007. 2015 is going gangbusters and just as mcdxd related, "go global".

loctite possession is a firing offense in our shop :grin:

Ragsbo
05-09-2015, 07:26 PM
I say all the above! Take advantage to what ever it is!

ReynCon
05-09-2015, 07:27 PM
Curious that this topic tables today (luck?). I have recently had, for a lack of a better description, an awakening on this very subject. Not on my own mind you but from a number of books I've read recently and conversations with significant people in my life. Even had a bit of the same conversation today with my best bud.

My take? YOU make your luck. It's not by happenstance or random occurance. People that "wait" for that opportunity usually note no changes. People that consume learings from everything, people that take chances and the people that constantly seek are the ones that will move the direction they desire.

JimD
05-10-2015, 05:45 AM
Read Napoleon Hill's Think and Grow Rich. It is a good book that talks about this subject.

mopar92
05-10-2015, 07:56 PM
After I graduated Auto Tech I went around to a buncha shops to get a job and see what was out there so to speak. Ended up with a company for 4 1/2 years. 3 1/2 years in I begin hating the job because of a boss. So off I went again whenever work closed I was off interviewing and well, I've been at the new job for a month ajd couldn't be happier.