PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding Sigs

stankasz1
03-07-2015, 06:33 AM
Can I ask a question about Sigs? I am not really that familiar with them but noticed they get maligned on WT. Why are Glocks better than Sigs ? Appreciate any insight, as I simply don't know.

Thanks!

C.J. Singleton
03-07-2015, 07:14 AM
There isn't much that a sig does that a glock can't do while being lighter, cheaper, having a more consistent trigger, and a lower bore axis

Gabriel Suarez
03-07-2015, 07:22 AM
If you want a Sig....go get one. You dont need MY approaval to pick a car a wife or a pistol. But anything a SIG can do...a Glock does better. Diasgree if you want, and I am not going to spend my day trying to change your mind.

The only exception is the cheap part...most pistols cost the same today...within a hundred bucks...and selecting on price is nevera good thing.

stankasz1
03-07-2015, 07:24 AM
Gabe, you missed my point. looking for your insight. what is bad about sigs? have no experience w them. thanks

Gabriel Suarez
03-07-2015, 07:32 AM
Bro...its a Saturday. SEARCH?

C.J. Singleton
03-07-2015, 08:28 AM
Personally sigs dont fit my hand as well as my glocks do, i also hate where they put the slide catch. With my grip style I always end up riding it and the slide doesn't lock back on the last round.

The bore axis is higher with the sig and it feels like it has more muzzle flip than a glock in the same caliber.

Im not saying a sig is a bad handgun I have a P220 and its one of my favorite 45s however I dont feel it necessary to carry a 45 anymore so I still choose the glock.

The Sigs do have a solid reputation around the world however many of the units that adopted them did so 20+ years ago when the glock was still too new of a concept. Many of the former users are switching to glock SEALs included

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

BigEd63
03-07-2015, 08:38 AM
The ergonomics already mentioned. What I really dislike about Sig is their limited parts availability and more involved replacement/repair on some models and vintages of.

jacob74
03-07-2015, 08:41 AM
Sigs make great boat anchors.............

IANative
03-07-2015, 09:24 AM
Can I ask a question about Sigs? I am not really that familiar with them but noticed they get maligned on WT. Why are Glocks better than Sigs ? Appreciate any insight, as I simply don't know.

Thanks!

I think more people here like Sigs than malign them. I also think the majority of those acknowledge that the Glock is a better option for EDC. I really like Sigs, but I don't own any anymore. Why do I think Glocks are better than/preferred over Sig? Just off the top of my head:

Lighter weight
Consistent trigger pull
Better platform for the SI/RMR treatment
Lower bore axis
Lower cost of pistol
Lower cost of magazines
Lower cost of parts
More customization parts/options/accessories/etc.
Customizable frame (as long as you're not scared of a soldering iron or dremel)

If all of that wasn't enough for me, there's this... reach across your body w/ your off-side hand and draw the Sig from your holster in a reverse grip. With the grip upside down in your hand, muzzle towards the target and pinky on the trigger. Can you pull the DA trigger on the Sig w/ your pinky? While I'm sure some can, I cannot. With any of my Glocks, I can every time. With a DAK Sig, maybe, but I'm not that determined to find out. God help me if I ever have to use a pistol in this manner, but I know I can do it w/ my Glock if I have to.

hogarth
03-07-2015, 10:12 AM
I think more people here like Sigs than malign them. I also think the majority of those acknowledge that the Glock is a better option for EDC. I really like Sigs, but I don't own any anymore. Why do I think Glocks are better than/preferred over Sig? Just off the top of my head:

Lighter weight
Consistent trigger pull
Better platform for the SI/RMR treatment
Lower bore axis
Lower cost of pistol
Lower cost of magazines
Lower cost of parts
More customization parts/options/accessories/etc.
Customizable frame (as long as you're not scared of a soldering iron or dremel)

If all of that wasn't enough for me, there's this... reach across your body w/ your off-side hand and draw the Sig from your holster in a reverse grip. With the grip upside down in your hand, muzzle towards the target and pinky on the trigger. Can you pull the DA trigger on the Sig w/ your pinky? While I'm sure some can, I cannot. With any of my Glocks, I can every time. With a DAK Sig, maybe, but I'm not that determined to find out. God help me if I ever have to use a pistol in this manner, but I know I can do it w/ my Glock if I have to.

Many of these knocks against a Sig are moot when you consider the P320.

However, I'm heavily invested in Glocks and don't plan to switch.

LawDog
03-07-2015, 11:00 AM
I like Sigs. I like them a lot. In the contest to decide what I would EDC, the Glock just barely edged out the Sig P228. The Sig feels very comfortable in my hand; the trigger is excellent (though a traditional DA lacks the consistency of a Glock trigger) and allows a second strike on a hard primer; the sights are great; it disassembles and cleans up quite easily; parts, mags, and holsters are easy to find (though not as easy as Glock); it feeds virtually any ammo; and it's as reliable as the growth of government.

But the Glock won out for me. It's just a bit thinner; the mags are just a bit stronger; it is more easily customized; parts are more plentiful than for any other gun bar none; their market dominance is simply undeniable.

But this is a subjective selection. If you like Sig, buy a Sig. Unlike Glock, which is very consistent across its line, Sig makes a lot of products, and they are not all created equally. I never liked the Sig Pro. I'm also not a fan of the P239 (I'd get a P225 if I wanted a pistol in that size). The P320 looks promising, but (even though I have broken this rule myself) I would generally discourage someone from buying any Sig in its first year of production. They consistently rush to market and work out the kinks by making design changes in the middle of production. So be selective with the Sigs. But anything that is a P22_ should be good to go.

Brent Yamamoto
03-07-2015, 11:25 AM
I like Sigs a lot as well. I even carry one when I'm in the mood.

I think the Glock is a wiser choice for a variety of reasons, but there's nothing wrong with a good Sig. I think it's worthwhile to train with a DA gun, even if it's not what you carry every day. And having the option of a fine SA trigger pull is nice as well.

stankasz1
03-07-2015, 02:16 PM
Thanks, the comments really help a lot!

Zed Stewart
03-08-2015, 07:51 PM
I like the full size Sigs, a lot, a lot, a lot. And the 239. 229s always felt fat in my hand.

I tried to switch to Glock. I bought three. I carried a G30s and an RMRed G21sf for almost a year. The only thing I really liked about them was the RMR. Bear in mind that I went all out when I put those pistols together. I did everything I could to make myself love them.

I now carry a USP45ct every day. I also really like the USPc40 but my son took that when I forced him to move out of his 1911.

You just have to live with the fact that if you choose something that isn't a Glock you will not get an RMR. And let me be absolutely clear RMRs are the shit!!! My G21 is good for head shots at 75 yds! It's that accurate.

So I carry the compact HKs and full size Sigs.

Jon Payne
03-08-2015, 08:45 PM
My favorite Sig is the P228. I used to qualify the USAF OSI Special Agents on one of the more challenging qualification courses with it. Even my CATM Superintendent used to shake his head watching me run that platform. He wasn't easily impressed. He had been training small arms since the days of SAMTU. Google that and General Lemay

The two most dangerous places in today's world:
1.) a gun free zone
2.) your comfort zone

Dave Sauer
03-08-2015, 09:29 PM
I carried a Sig 220 combat for a time, as well as a 226 Blackwater tactical. Sig workmanship and accuracy is great, but they are heavier and I disliked the double action first shot on both mine, even after changing out the springs.

It isn't what is bad about Sigs…it's what is better about the other choices.

Shoot Happy.

Gun Mutt
03-11-2015, 07:42 AM
Fwiw, I have a Sig P226 en route to me as I type to be my 'around the house' pistol. Made in 1997, aluminum frame, no rail, traditional DA/SA, perfect for carrying AIWB sans holster, safe to set it on the coffee table beside me if/when I actually sit down for some Netflix. Really looking forward to having it loaded up with a 20rd mag & some G10 grips, maybe the Hogue magwell version even.

But I'll be wearing a Glock anytime I leave the house.

Kevin
03-11-2015, 10:57 AM
Sig is probably my #2 gun after Glock. As much as I love my 1911, if it wasn't for the sentimental attachment (it was a gift) and I wanted a single stack .45, it would be a Sig 220 hands down. One of my favorite carry pistols ever was a Sig 228.

Francisp
03-11-2015, 05:25 PM
I carried a Sig 220 combat for a time, as well as a 226 Blackwater tactical. Sig workmanship and accuracy is great, but they are heavier and I disliked the double action first shot on both mine, even after changing out the springs.

Shoot Happy.
I actually shoot the double action first shot of a sig better than a glock. could never figure out why

Zed Stewart
03-12-2015, 05:34 AM
I quit Glocks the first time in 2002 when I placed fourth in the San Antonio GSSF match, in my division. Afterward I went home and smoked myself with a Sig. I can't get over the broken-wrist grip angle.

Not that there's anything wrong with a Glock!

BTW, I like .40 S&W and .45 ACP, too.

Bluemonday
03-12-2015, 07:28 AM
I have owned and used both for many years.

What you need to ask yourself is how much time, effort, and practice are you prepared to invest in learning to manage the SIG's DA/SA trigger.

This includes learning to prep the hammer, making the first DA shot, learning the reset, learning the longer take up, transitioning to SA. And then repeating for your support hand. And remembering to decock.

If not (like me), then get the Glock.

ss58
03-12-2015, 05:42 PM
I picked up a 226 when they first started arriving back in the day. Carried it for a few years with 2 extra mags,probably 100,000 down the original barrel. 220SAO, 220 Combat 220 and 228…..But sometimes you get something special. This baby went up for sale with 3 extra mags and nobody even had a chance to think about it. I believe it was a T&E SI and I love it. I still prefer my Glocks, but this aint to shabby…..

Best of both…….

Gun Mutt
03-13-2015, 07:09 AM
Anybody tried the extended magwell grips on their 226?

tcsrt126
03-16-2015, 06:05 PM
I started shooting a 220 when I was probably twelve years old. Thats what I learned to shoot, as far as handguns are concerned. And when I graduated the Police Academy my dad gave me that gun. I carried it for about ten years. It was shot to the point that it rattled very badly when shook, but it still ran flawlessly. I purchased a new 220 Elite Stainless, thinking it would be my last serious handgun purchase in a long time. After carrying it for a couple years I decided I needed to buy something to carry off duty (Sig was too heavy) and purchased a 19. After shooting it a bit I got used to the grip angle and eventually started carrying it on duty as well, after I decided that with current ammo quality I did not NEED to carry a .45. It's crazy, but I went from carrying a total of 25 rounds total with the Sig, to carrying 61 total with the glock, and my duty belt feels like it weighs half as much.

Anyway, that fancy Sig I bought thinking I would shoot forever eventually got sold off. I still have the original for sentimental reasons. I have nothing bad to say about the sigs. Everyone I have shot has performed flawlessly, I just decided the Glock was a better fit for me.

There is a lot to be said for using one gun for both duty and concealed carry. The 19 does everything well for me. And I can throw it in my jersey pocket or camelbak when cycling and not really have any concern with rust or corrosion. That was not the case with the Sig.

JPourciau
03-16-2015, 06:28 PM
I carry a Glock these days... But my first handgun purchase (with new grips in this pic)...

This is one that will never be sold.

Alex Nieuwland
03-16-2015, 06:50 PM
My biggest issue with a SIG is how high they sit in the hand. Even their striker-fired version still has this.

ReconScout
03-16-2015, 08:12 PM
For me, my P229 fits my hand much better than my G19. I am more accurate with the Sig and generally find it more pleasant to shoot. I enjoy putting rounds down range out of that pistol more than any other I have owned. However, my G19 is what gets carried every day. Sure the Sig is as reliable as any, but I trust the G19 more and shoot better with it during dynamic movements/reactive drills. Probably due to the overt simplicity it carries versus the Sig. I would not feel inadequate carrying the Sig, I just feel more comfortable with the Glock. My G19 is the trusty workhorse that you know will get the job done, day in and day out.

You want both. Buy both. Shoot the piss out of each of them and enjoy the benefit of choice you get from free market capitalism.

Briank
03-17-2015, 03:47 PM
I bought a 220 and 226 in the 90's and still have them both. While I carry a BHP for EDC, I have zero problem carrying a SIG.

Jeff22
03-24-2015, 12:56 AM
As C.J. Singleton said: " I also hate where they put the slide catch. With my grip style I always end up riding it and the slide doesn't lock back on the last round.

The bore axis is higher with the sig and it feels like it has more muzzle flip than a glock in the same caliber."

I carried a traditional DA/SA Sig 226 in 9mm from 1989 to 2004. They were issued by my agency. We switched to the Sig DAK in .40 cal in the fall of 2004 and carried those until October of 2013 when we switched to the Glock 22.

I own personal examples of both of those Sigs. I like those guns. But the axis of the bore is higher in a Sig than on many other guns, and they just didn't point as naturally for ME. Even so, I shot them pretty well, and used them in IPSC and IDPA and PPC matches too.

I can shoot about the same with less effort with a Glock or S&W M&P. Or with a Beretta M9 for that matter. NOT a significant difference. An incremental & insignificant difference to be sure.

Everybody's circumstances and preferences and perceived needs and applications are different. And all those factors can change over time too.

Dr. Dan Choi
03-24-2015, 08:16 AM
For me, my P229 fits my hand much better than my G19. I am more accurate with the Sig and generally find it more pleasant to shoot. I enjoy putting rounds down range out of that pistol more than any other I have owned. However, my G19 is what gets carried every day. Sure the Sig is as reliable as any, but I trust the G19 more and shoot better with it during dynamic movements/reactive drills. Probably due to the overt simplicity it carries versus the Sig. I would not feel inadequate carrying the Sig, I just feel more comfortable with the Glock. My G19 is the trusty workhorse that you know will get the job done, day in and day out.

You want both. Buy both. Shoot the piss out of each of them and enjoy the benefit of choice you get from free market capitalism.

This pretty much sums up how I feel about my P229 and G19.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/24/c84068f8b94150d145cbbb127662fc8f.jpg

I was lucky enough to have this done to my P229 back when TSD was still working on Sigs.

Bottom line is there's nothing wrong with Sigs. If that's what you want, get one and train with it.

Zed Stewart
03-24-2015, 09:33 AM
I really wish I had had my 226 done back then. I missed it by six months , or so. Bad deal all around.

Travlin
03-24-2015, 02:50 PM
Pl
This pretty much sums up how I feel about my P229 and G19.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/24/c84068f8b94150d145cbbb127662fc8f.jpg

I was lucky enough to have this done to my P229 back when TSD was still working on Sigs.

Bottom line is there's nothing wrong with Sigs. If that's what you want, get one and train with it.

I have that same 229, minus the dot. I was too late finding TSD to get mine cut. Did you put the doctor on by choice or was it just the dot de jour?

WinstonSmith
03-24-2015, 04:00 PM
SIGs are great. I love their 556 series.
[See what I did there?]

Francisp
03-24-2015, 06:04 PM

Shoot Happy.

I shoot the double action first shot of a sig better than the subsequent single action shots or the striker fired trigger of a glock. I can't figure that one out, but it is the case.

Dr. Dan Choi
03-24-2015, 08:44 PM
I chose to use the Docter3. It's a bit slimmer than the RMR, so it's a slightly better fit for the Sig slide. It has the advantage of locking screws on the adjustment screws, but the RMR is more robust in my opinion. I have an RM02 on an AKA and an RM06 on my TSD G19. If I had a chance to do it again, I think I'd go with the RMR, but it would be a close call, and I wouldn't feel bad about choosing either one.

warriorscience4u
06-10-2015, 08:12 PM
Why are Glocks better than Sigs ? Appreciate any insight, as I simply don't know.

Thanks!

Glocks are not better than SIGs, except in the weight department, the Glocks are a little lighter. It's really no big deal.

An agency sent me to the SIG 2xx Classic series Armorer's course, and it was great. A little more time involved to completely strip a 2xx series over a Glock, but no big deal.

The fellow LEOs were quite different than a Glock AC, which was interesting.

I bought a beater agency trade-in, dropped in a fresh spring kit and their SRT package, it's like new on the inside and one of my favorite shooters.

Guitars, motorcycles, and firearms: don't get attached to a thing. (Unless you've got some sort of a Ducati or a Brough......)

stankasz1
06-11-2015, 05:53 AM
Thanks for all the input here. I really appreciate it.

336Whiskey
06-11-2015, 09:55 AM
I never understood the DA/SA trigger pull issue talked about. I have never ever felt a difference during actual tactical training style shooting. Shooting bullseye target style - of course. Shooting a combat course - never. Shooting possums and racoons to calm a panicking, screaming wife - never.

Probably the most accurate pistol I have ever shot was a buddy's 220. That thing was amazing.

Sig765
06-11-2015, 12:05 PM
I never understood the DA/SA trigger pull issue talked about. I have never ever felt a difference during actual tactical training style shooting. Shooting bullseye target style - of course. Shooting a combat course - never. Shooting possums and racoons to calm a panicking, screaming wife - never.

Probably the most accurate pistol I have ever shot was a buddy's 220. That thing was amazing.

I agree I have owned 3 sigs my favorite was my p226 w/SRT and short reach trigger. As far as bullseye shooting sure stage the trigger and let it fly, but as far as combat shooting letter rip tater chip it's just like shooting a revolver smooth quick roll of the trigger. And in "meat n metal" range shit just smash that mfer lol idk maybe I just had more time behind sigs but it never bothered me. The Sig P226 is still my fav handgun to date.
I have seen the light of the dark side and switched to glocks for my EDC for reasons I won't repeat gabes beat that horse dead but I still love sigs more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solar
06-11-2015, 12:06 PM
I wonder if in 50-75 years or so when the common sidearm of the day is a microfusion laser or some form of ultrasonic projector that there will be people that talk about "the good 'ol days" when crude projectiles powered by pyrotechnics ruled the day and the Glock 17 was "all a man needed".

I see the Sig (speaking only for the classic P series now) as being in the same school as the FN FAL. Very well made weapons for the time and place, and still very good weapons technically today. Overshadowed in modern times by the ubiquity of the Glock/M4 marketplace, and because technology has bought us size and weight savings that are meaningful to the gentleman who carries a weapon every day.

Shawn McCarver
06-14-2015, 10:50 AM
This from the "been there, done that" department: Get a Glock and save yourself all of the hand-wringing grief that you would go through just to come to the same conclusion as myself and others.

:smile:

Snowman45
06-14-2015, 07:37 PM
When I changed departments in 1993, I had been carrying a Glock 21 for several years and a S&W 645/4506 for years before that. After lateraling over, I was issued a Sig P226. I didn't dislike the pistol, and shot it well, but I still missed my Glocks. For a time, I bought a P228 for off-duty and got rid of my G19 that I had for years. That didn't last long; I found I greatly preferred the Glock and bought another G19. When the prescribed life expectancy on the Sigs ended at 10 years, I had already made the switch to the Glocks for uniform when it became an authorized option. Being the range master, I had some input on the replacement for the Sig. Most of us agreed, and the G17/G19/G26 became the issue duty weapons for the department.

Rex G
06-17-2015, 11:23 AM
For duty and most personal-time carry, I transitioned from Glocks, chambered in .40 S&W, to the SIG P229R DAK, in 2004. Why? The P229 grip was a better fit in my right hand, and I liked the long-stroke DA trigger stroke, as I had been conditioned by two decades of using DA revolvers. (.40 was the mandated "primary duty" cartridge, and, ideally, I like to carry my duty pistols during personal time.) My qual scores reflected the better fit.

(Edited to add: I had switched to Glocks in 2002, from the 1911, for duty and most carry, though I kept my favorite 1911, and still have it.)

In 2012, however, I bought a G17, in anticipation of my chief signing a proposed policy change that would allow 9mm to be an alternative primary duty pistol cartridge, in the 9mm counterparts of our then-current .40 duty pistols. Why? Snappy .40 recoil was no longer kind to my aging hands, and the high SIG bore axis accentuated the recoil. Moreover, I was training more with my healthier left hand, and Glocks fit my left hand better, overall. I later learned that Gen4 Glocks have frames much friendlier to my right hand than the previous generations. The fit/accuracy equation no longer favored SIG. I sold my spare SIGs.

(To be clear, I am not blaming .40 recoil, nor SIG, for my ailing, aching right hand and wrist. If recoil is to blame, it would mostly be the .44 and .41 magnum rounds I fired from 1984-1991, when I carried big-bore Magnum duty six-guns, and I trained quite a bit in those days. I then used the harsh, but less-violent .357 Magnum, for quite a few more years.)

SIGs are good pistols, or at least my several SIGs performed well. They are expensive, which is OK if one is wealthy, and much less so if one has to prioritize expenditures. (I want to own at least a pair of my carry pistols; a pair and a spare, better.) This expense extends to magazines and parts. The DAK trigger stroke, at least in my hands, mimics that of a K-frame S&W revolver quite well, making DAK a good choice for my situation, until recoil became a problem.

My chief did not sign the proposed duty pistol policy change, though he decided to authorize .45 ACP, so I still carry that .40 P299R DAK in my duty rig, though I train with .22 LR in a revolver to practice the DA trigger stroke. I use 9mm Glocks as personal-time carry and "back-up" while at work. I fire .40, in the SIG, only at qual time. If I thought there was anything wrong with SIG, I would switch to a bigger-bore Glock as a duty pistol, to get the felt-recoil benefits of the lower bore axis and cushioning effect of the polymer frame. When it is time for my next qual, if I think I will not be retiring soon, I may go ahead and switch to a G21, if I feel like paying for the pistol, holster, and mag pouches.

SIGs are OK. I used mostly SIGs when it made sense to do so. Glocks are just a little more OK, for me, now.

Sardoc
08-05-2015, 09:50 AM
There really isnt anything wrong with sigs or hk's or smith and wesson or glock. Its basically a ford vs chevy argument. Glocks are cheaper and work just fine. Sigs are more spendy but some people like the ergos, the looks, or whatever. Stick with a reputable brand and pick what you shoot best that suits your needs.

IANative
08-05-2015, 10:02 AM
I meander in and out of Sig pistol (and 1911's) ownership as my whims and fancies dictate. Sometimes I own them; sometimes I don't. I like the way they feel in the hand, the way they naturally point (for me), their accuracy, etc. I like the way they look. I don't care for their weight (vs. Glock) or their high bore axis. I rarely carry them. I currently have some; a year from now I may not have any. They are variables; Glocks are the only constants...

P.D.
08-05-2015, 05:35 PM
Owning both a SIG P226 and a Glock G17, I will say the only thing SIGs have to offer is accuracy. Even then, Glocks will do just as well, with a better trigger. Otherwise, SIGs are heavier, bigger and not nearly as ergonomic.

IANative
08-05-2015, 06:19 PM
Owning both a SIG P226 and a Glock G17, I will say the only thing SIGs have to offer is accuracy. Even then, Glocks will do just as well, with a better trigger. Otherwise, SIGs are heavier, bigger and not nearly as ergonomic.

I think that's particularly true of that comparison, G17->P226. The P226 puts the "full" in full-sized handgun. It seems/feels almost massive in comparison to the G17. In the G19->P228/229 comparison, the contrast is still there, just not as pronounced.

CLEANDEAN
08-05-2015, 06:50 PM
I have found that the SIG P227 fits my hand much better than the G-21. Even my State Cop neighbor is thrilled to have a Sig .45 now.
I shot Glocks to the tune of acceptable accuracy, but the stock grip ...never quite fit me.
I am way more content , and feel more confident , with my P227 Nitron Carry. Little more weight on the Sig is not an issue. ( actually is better for .45. A.C.P.)