PDA

View Full Version : Guns we just had to have

EDELWEISS
02-17-2015, 10:32 PM
You know you have at least one and want a ton more. Just off the top of my head, is my JD Jones conversion of a Ruger No1 to .577 Nitro. I love that gun; but I'm not likely to hunt elephant with it, maaaaaybe a Dugaboy if Im lucky. Its a bit much for lions and Id much rather chase big cats then ivory buuuuut. Theres also a HK MK23 and a Knights Suppressor in the vault, because well because the dealer let me shoot it and I was already doing paperwork for another can and well..... At one point there were five Freedom Arms 454 revolvers too, but I came to my senses and whittled them down to two (one with ivory grips and one with ebony, its sorta my version of equal oppertunity).

And then theres the cannon in the backyard; but that wasnt a toy, somebody in the neighborhood needed one and I didnt see anybody else stepping up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2Ar-2wx5bo&feature=player_detailpage.

Mike OTDP
02-20-2015, 07:28 PM
I've got a Romano repro Spencer carbine that I just had to have. One of these days I'll get it sighted in.

Mark Hatfield
02-20-2015, 07:33 PM
About eight 'cap and ball' revolvers and some flintlock pistols.

DutchV
02-20-2015, 08:02 PM
I've got a black powder mortar, but it's only beer can caliber. Nowhere near the scale of being pulled behind a car.

Huntindoc
02-20-2015, 09:14 PM
Beretta Silver Pigeon V, 20g, 26" barrels. Winchester 94 in 22 mag. One of the last before they originally closed. Has a special Texas serial number and receiver is done by Doug Turnbill. Beautiful Color case hardening is like crack to me.

JOE MACK
02-20-2015, 10:34 PM
LMT/7.62x51
Accurate as my Rem.700 mil-spec with 5r barrel.

EDELWEISS
02-21-2015, 02:27 PM
I've got a black powder mortar, but it's only beer can caliber. Nowhere near the scale of being pulled behind a car.

Hey, me too. Ever try filling the cans with gasoline? :tapedshut: (Don't try this at home! Or within 100 yards of anything flammable.)

FIRST theres nothing wrong with Beer can mortars. That was actually my first choice, but as a member here pointed out its all about the payload. A mortar that cant fire exploding projos needs to be repeatably accurate and have a sight with T&E so it can make hits where they are needed based on a rznge card and a forward observer. Thats just not easy or cheap with BC size mortars. Also a BC projos are small, upping to say a bowling ball size means not only solid projos but about 100 or so screaming lawn darts made from rebar and other debris for area denial. The cannon on the other hand is fairly easy to aim by way of its T&E and even though its a smaller bore (golfball), its a direct fire weapon meaning its projos arent dependant on gravity for impact

ss58
02-21-2015, 02:34 PM

.45-70 Alaskan Survival Model….410 under. Had too have it. It's been sold. No permanent nerve damage but we could never figure out if it was to shoot yourself or the bear eating you????? Maybe Lawdog can chime in.

M1A's r Best
02-21-2015, 06:49 PM
Win. M97 somebody cut the barrel short on and installed a poly choke. Saw it. Walked away. Got to thinking about it and had to go back and get it. Hunted with it a few times. Carried it on building surveillance/searches quite a bit at one point (could break it down so easy, tie it up under my raincoat and walk into a building and step into the first office and quickly reassemble and load it). Haven't shot it in about 30 years now.

Browning BDM. Same thing. Saw it, looked it over, gave it back to the guy behind the counter and went home. Looked it up on the internet and eventually went back and got it. Neat little gun (it really is "small", narrow as hell and feels light in your hand) but the accuracy ain't great and the shape of the trigger pinches my trigger finger painfully after almost a box of ammo. Haven't shot it in 4 or 5 years.

Browning Auto 5. Ragged looking, sitting in the rack at a local dealer. Only $300. Looked it over, had no need/desire for it and put it back. Came home, got to doing some reading on them and went back and bought it. Had to buy a special screwdriver set to take it apart (narrow slotted European screws that the usual gun screw drivers won't fit into) and really liked the way Mr. Browning designed the insides. Finally figured out it was made in 1934 and it still ran like a champ even before I put a bunch of new springs and friction rings on it. Put the magazine extension tube on it, ramline stock and forend and shot a couple of boxes of shells through it and put it away for a rainy day.

Netpackrat
02-21-2015, 07:09 PM
Was landlord to a sporting goods shop briefly. Walked in one morning to shoot the breeze, and they had one of the first .450 Marlin guide guns. Ended up making a deal for it, all the ammo they had for it, and a Brownell's Latigo Sling. They made their rent back that day.

DutchV
02-21-2015, 08:15 PM
I forgot about my Ruger Single Ten. It was my "panic purchase" (ha, ha) before the new extra-safe Maryland handgun laws took effect. My Dad has a Single Six I grew up around, and always liked. I don't really need a .22 Magnum cylinder, so I ordered a Single Ten. It's probably the least tactical pistol I own. Loads of fun, and a good, simple gun for any newbies you might want to break in. Fiber optic sights are a nice update over the plain black irons of the Single Six. Soup cans quiver in fear of this one.