PDA

View Full Version : shok-buffs

gary thornbury
02-01-2004, 08:45 AM
is anyone using Wilson Shok-Buffs in their pistols?if so do you like them?

K. Foster
02-01-2004, 11:18 AM
I use them because it was recommended by some people I trust. One was a 1911 ‘smith. Been using them for years, never had a problem.

sionaprhys
02-01-2004, 02:36 PM
I like 'em but I only use them on the range. I pull them out when I'm carrying.

gary thornbury
02-01-2004, 05:42 PM
I like 'em but I only use them on the range. I pull them out when I'm carrying.
--Why do you remove them when you carry?

K. Foster
02-02-2004, 07:45 AM
Detractors of shock buff’s claim that they can tear or fragment and cause the weapon to malfunction. I’m sure this could happen if the ‘buff were left in the gun for a prolonged period and allowed to dry out and harden. I inspect mine occasionally and replace once or twice a year.

sionaprhys
02-02-2004, 08:06 AM
--Why do you remove them when you carry?

For the above reason. What little bit of shooting I'm likely to do off the range with my carry gun, isn't going to hurt anything. It's an unnecessary risk. When I'm done shooting at the range and I field strip my weapon for cleaning, I just leave the shok-buff out.
I have seen the Wilson buffers as well as buffers from a couple of other manufacturers come apart when almost new. They may have been exposed to heat or solvents- I just don't know as they were in customers' pistols.

gary thornbury
02-02-2004, 09:27 AM
For the above reason. What little bit of shooting I'm likely to do off the range with my carry gun, isn't going to hurt anything. It's an unnecessary risk. When I'm done shooting at the range and I field strip my weapon for cleaning, I just leave the shok-buff out.
I have seen the Wilson buffers as well as buffers from a couple of other manufacturers come apart when almost new. They may have been exposed to heat or solvents- I just don't know as they were in customers' pistols.
Thanks for the information, I'm ordering some and will remove when I carry the pistol.

Mute
02-12-2004, 02:38 PM
Try CP buffs. They seem to be more durable than the Wilsons.