PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO CARRY YOUR GANG UNIT

Gabriel Suarez
09-01-2014, 12:10 PM
The Gang Unit Knives, and all that will come in the series are intended for everyday carry. One very popular carry position has been horizontal on the left side of the belt buckle for a right handed draw. here are a number of ways to make this work with Belt loops, Tek-lock or with a 550 shock cord.

SUA SPONTE
09-01-2014, 12:32 PM
I run my Gang Unit on my warbelt as a "Get the F#*k off my gun!!!" knife mounted in the 11:30 position so that it is easily accessible with either hand no matter how the rest of my body is contorted.

SEANSTRAIT
09-01-2014, 01:21 PM
I carry mine IWB on the left with 550 cord. Works quite well.

Jess Karren
09-01-2014, 03:11 PM
I carry mine with the 550 completely concealed at my left appendix area as a plainclothes detective (business casual). I like it so far.

Shannon Hogan
09-01-2014, 03:11 PM
SS, is that a Fairbairn Applegate type blade behind mag #2?

Sammy
09-01-2014, 03:22 PM
At 1300 iwb using 550 cord. Great for npe if you are a non shirt tucking monster. ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

SUA SPONTE
09-01-2014, 03:37 PM
SS, is that a Fairbairn Applegate type blade behind mag #2?

Yes

LawDog
09-01-2014, 03:58 PM
39418I'm interested in the "bottle opener" you have in the pic. I've looked around for something like that, to carry onto airplanes and into courthouses and such. I know that "bottle openers" aren't quite as sexy as short swords, but they are useful. If you ever get the notion to run a batch of TSD cap crackers, I'd be interested in one or two.

Gabriel Suarez
09-01-2014, 04:45 PM
That is a prototype of an item we will call, wait for it....

THE CHOIRBOY

One of the common threads in any group of men that goes into harm's way is an informal, after-hours, decompression and debriefing session. This is where everyone chills out, the cold beers come out, and there is a heart to heart discussion on what happened and how to do it better the next time. Jokingly referred to as "choir practice", these were hardly spiritual group hug singing sessions, but instead, think of it as a group "high five" with an emphasis on how to pound the bad guys harder the next time. There was no rank at these events, often handled in the wee hours in the parking lot of the station. The name of these "killer encounter sessions" came from a book by Joseph Wambaugh titled The Choirboys.

In honor of those long ago days we present The Choirboy. It is, a bottle opener intended to crack a beer in high style. As a bottle opener it can go anywhere that cold ones are being served. Yet with a little imagination, it can crack open a head as well as bottle of Heineken. The prefect last-ditch tool for any impromptu choir session with the team.

Gunfixr
09-01-2014, 04:57 PM
I like it.

Gabriel Suarez
09-01-2014, 05:09 PM
Having traveled all over the world in Suarez International's early years...to some nice places, and some very not-so-nice places, to do things "expendable" and which I will never discuss before my death, I know all too well what is necessary.

Today, some ten years later...(ten years...where does it go?) being able to hide a weapon in an NPE is not enough. I used to be able to hide knives...even a pistol and a can once, through the security screens of third world nations. Not so much today as they have gotten wiser...gotten more..."American" in their ways. Today your weapons in a strict NPE must be dual use items, easily explained, easily replaced...yet deadly as a "motherfoxtrotter" when used right.

I am already seen as an outlaw...a pariah among the fat incapable bastards of the gun mafia whose only lifting involves beer bottles. They hate me...I am told they even fear me to a degree. Good...they should. We are what they wished they were but did not have the balls to become.

The Grab N Stab Series of deadly implements is forthcoming.

emtdaddy1980
09-01-2014, 05:17 PM
I EDC an ESEE Izula in the manner you described when I'm in street clothes....1130 outside the waistband with an unturned shirt over it with the handle pointed toward strong side for a strong side Saber grip or weak sided reverse draw. When in uniform I turn the knife around and mount it inside the waistband at about 1230 for a weak side Saber or strong side reverse grip. I like the looks of your stabby tools above.

morghill
09-01-2014, 05:53 PM
I need a Gang Unit! Time to buy one.

sent via my Flux Capacitor Powered Smartphone

SUA SPONTE
09-01-2014, 06:19 PM

THE CHOIRBOY
In honor of those long ago days we present The Choirboy. It is, a bottle opener intended to crack a beer in high style. As a bottle opener it can go anywhere that cold ones are being served. Yet with a little imagination, it can crack open a head as well as bottle of Heineken. The prefect last-ditch tool for any impromptu choir session with the team.

Very cool...and well named. "The Choirboy" could also trace its lineage to another religious relic "The Church Key" :biggrin:

ChuteTheMall
09-01-2014, 08:09 PM
That looks like it could even pry up a stubborn tab-top, so I won't break a nail opening a canned beverage.:facepalm2:

LawDog
09-01-2014, 09:34 PM

THE CHOIRBOYExcellent. Looking forward to the finished product.

Danneskjold
09-02-2014, 12:09 AM
Video or pictorial tutorials on creative off-label uses of said bottle opener would be appreciated.

The rifleman next door
09-02-2014, 03:14 AM
I like mine right at midline on a lanyard...easily concealed under a button down shirt just like an appendix carry Glock and a horizontal magazine pouch.

choirboy
09-02-2014, 04:39 AM
Having served as inspiration, a complimentary dozen would save me some Christmas Shopping.

Choirboy - inspiring entrepreneurship !

Gabriel Suarez
09-02-2014, 07:30 AM
Having served as inspiration, a complimentary dozen would save me some Christmas Shopping.

Choirboy - inspiring entrepreneurship !

Once you show me your cashed royalty checks to Mr. Wambaugh, we will talk.

coastalcop
09-02-2014, 10:28 AM
Perfect name , the offside needs to be large enough to fit a knuckle dragger finger thru and that's the stuff right there. Our choir practice of late has been bow practice ( the same team shooters on the field, go out to another field and stalk, kill, eat together). Backstrap less than an hour from the hoof and a little beam at base camp is a great detox moment. Maybe some pics this year

choirboy
09-02-2014, 01:08 PM
When the movie was in theaters, our local police supply joint got a supply of the nice heavy - think cowboy style- "Choirboy" belt buckles. It was big enough to use on a Sam Brown. If you used your uniform allowance with him you got one as a gift. The other option was the handcuff tie tack. I know it is around here somewhere. It would make a dandy way to hold your pants up when flying and might serve another emergency purpose. Since I am revising my estate plan, I feel it appropriate to will it to you Gabe.

Choirboy

Stick54
09-02-2014, 05:42 PM
Very cool...and well named. "The Choirboy" could also trace its lineage to another religious relic "The Church Key" :biggrin:

Damn, does that picture bring back memories. I remember when pop tops and twist-offs hadn't been invented, andthat was the only way to open a beer or soda can. Sh!t, I'm getting old.

coastalcop
09-02-2014, 05:48 PM
Damn, does that picture bring back memories. I remember when pop tops and twist-offs hadn't been invented, andthat was the only way to open a beer or soda can. Sh!t, I'm getting old.

Seasoned, not old

choirboy
09-03-2014, 05:09 AM
Seasoned, not old

I keep telling myself that one too.

Choirboy

WinstonSmith
09-03-2014, 01:22 PM
Today your weapons in a strict NPE must be dual use items, easily explained, easily replaced...yet deadly as a "motherfoxtrotter" when used right....

I do hope there's something non-metallic in the series, for those special occasions.

Greg Nichols
09-03-2014, 01:27 PM
Hmm a ceramic icepick would be cool

Echo17
09-03-2014, 02:45 PM
Or go neo-caveman with an obsidian edged, polymer bodied knife. IIRC you can flake obsidian to be sharper than literally almost anything.

Gabriel Suarez
09-03-2014, 02:58 PM
A hidden weapon is not the same as an item that has dual use purposes and can be explained. Hidden weapons will be found...like it or not. Dual use items will also be found, but it won't matter.

Stick54
09-03-2014, 06:11 PM
"Seasoned, not old"

I tried telling myself that one once.

My wife almost choked to death laughing.......

Stick54
09-03-2014, 06:17 PM
BTW Jefe, since the CHOIRBOY is designed for NPE locations, any chance you might be selling them in some NPE's? Without being specific, I live in one of those locations and you don't (understandably) even sell your knives here. It would be nice if these were to be made available.

Mike Heckathorn
09-03-2014, 06:38 PM

Or go neo-caveman with an obsidian edged, polymer bodied knife. IIRC you can flake obsidian to be sharper than literally almost anything.

G10 makes very nice knives with a bit of an edge... G10 scales and acrylic pins with epoxy make great grip scales. Not a bit of usability to them, and finding someone to make them without any markings is tough (time consuming and somewhat expensive as well)

BillyOblivion
09-03-2014, 07:50 PM
Having traveled all over the world in Suarez International's early years...to some nice places, and some very not-so-nice places, to do things "expendable" and which I will never discuss before my death, I know all too well what is necessary.

Today, some ten years later...(ten years...where does it go?) being able to hide a weapon in an NPE is not enough. I used to be able to hide knives...even a pistol and a can once, through the security screens of third world nations. Not so much today as they have gotten wiser...gotten more..."American" in their ways. Today your weapons in a strict NPE must be dual use items, easily explained, easily replaced...yet deadly as a "motherfoxtrotter" when used right.

I am already seen as an outlaw...a pariah among the fat incapable bastards of the gun mafia whose only lifting involves beer bottles. They hate me...I am told they even fear me to a degree. Good...they should. We are what they wished they were but did not have the balls to become.

My wife has been teaching herself to crochet. I keep trying to get her to put the hook down and learn to knit. Preferably with the biggest needles she can find.

Danneskjold
09-03-2014, 11:26 PM
A hidden weapon is not the same as an item that has dual use purposes and can be explained. Hidden weapons will be found...like it or not. Dual use items will also be found, but it won't matter.

I like this form of sneakiness: Be the grey man, not the ninja.

choirboy
09-04-2014, 05:34 AM
The Monks of old wore a large forged iron cross on a neck tether. Do you really think this was merely a demonstration of faith?

I learned how to do this from a master smith named Francis Whitiker. I make mine from 1 inch square stock they are 12-16 inches long and weigh 3-5 pounds. In the interest of honesty, I have a power hammer and a treadle hammer. They are still more work than I can do today. I made well over a dozen of these as gifts for weddings and for some loved relatives.
http://youtu.be/vm7yTb6Wq7w

agore
04-16-2016, 03:58 PM
This is my daily carry. I've carried it everyday for two years.

Reager
12-01-2016, 10:09 PM

THE CHOIRBOY

One of the common threads in any group of men that goes into harm's way is an informal, after-hours, decompression and debriefing session. This is where everyone chills out, the cold beers come out, and there is a heart to heart discussion on what happened and how to do it better the next time. Jokingly referred to as "choir practice", these were hardly spiritual group hug singing sessions, but instead, think of it as a group "high five" with an emphasis on how to pound the bad guys harder the next time. There was no rank at these events, often handled in the wee hours in the parking lot of the station. The name of these "killer encounter sessions" came from a book by Joseph Wambaugh titled The Choirboys.

That's a handy little tool. Simple yet effective.

ODG
12-27-2017, 07:22 PM
triple post. apologies.

ODG
01-03-2018, 06:11 PM
triple post. apologies.

ODG
01-20-2018, 02:32 PM
Where can I get the kydex belt loops lie on the first page? I think that would be a better option than the teklock for me.

Jeff22
08-10-2019, 03:30 AM
Yeah that does look like an interesting option