PDA

View Full Version : Lady's Choice??

QuietProtector
01-28-2004, 06:05 PM
Through the years of our relationship, from dating, engagement and nearly 20 years of marriage I have bought many handguns for my wife in an effort to find one that she truly likes and is comfortable and competant with. She is not a firearms person, but she is very practical and understands that the world is not a safe place and that I can't always be with her.
They have run the gamut from concealment .38's from Smith and Colt, mid size autos such as the HK4, PPk/s, S&W 3913, and others.
The firearm had to be hers, not something I thought she should have. We tried many combinations of firearm and ammo.
About 16 or 17 years ago, we found the best choice for her.
She has a 4" Colt Diamondback, with compact Pachmyer grips and it's loaded with standard velocity Federal 125 gr Nyclad HP's. It was given an action job by a big name 'smith that specialized in Colt actions. No springs were lightened but it's as slick as glass and has never had a malfunction or failed to pop a primer.
Not high tech or very "sexy", but a solid performer. The standard velocity Nyclad's don't have a lot of recoil or muzzle blast with the 4 inch barrel. With the round butt compact Pachmyer's it fits her hands very well.
What type of handgun does your wife/ girl friend / daughter / mother / sister carry?

Geezer
01-28-2004, 08:48 PM
Her purse pistol is a S&W Centennial, her favorite for the range is a S&W Trooper with a 4" barrel, or her S&W 686 with a 6" barrel.

She is a small girl, 5'1", small hands, and she isn't able to operate the slides on automatics, so she's never carried one.

She's a good shot, has taken a deer and numerous pheasants and chukars with her long guns.

God bless and y'all be careful out there. :cool:

NewMedico
01-29-2004, 10:06 AM
QP,
Have a good female friend that was concerned about her safety. I sent her to our local clubs 'basic handgun' coarse. One where she was introduced to self defence concepts, legal issues, basic gun training and allowed to try alot of different guns. She choose something very similar to your wife's --a Colt Police Positive (one of the last run ones with full underlug)--loads with 158gr LSWC-HP's. Too bad Colt still doesn't make those.

NM Eric

JodyH
01-29-2004, 07:23 PM
My wife went through several pistols.
After taking the OPS Tactical Pistol course last year, she finally settled on a Walther P99QA 9mm.

Vig Creed
01-30-2004, 07:01 AM
It is indeed surprising to see so many different choices!

My wife is petite, 5'3", 118. She tried many handguns before settleing on a Glock-19 9mm with hi-cap mag and 115 +P+ Gold Dots.

She never misses BG targets and has 15 shots available!

creed

Anthony
01-30-2004, 12:16 PM
Whilst my ex-wife shot my 1911 Ok, ( a very petit woman ) & my present girlfriend has shot my firearms, - including a 1911, only one woman in my life ( an ex-girlfriend ) chose to buy and carry a handgun.
After alot of talk, explanations ( tactics, when to react etc,) & range work, she bought a Taurus M85 in stainless steel. +P 125 grn HPs.
She drives ( car is insured.) She uses a cheap watch, - 'let it go' !
She carries little money, & cheques/credit cards can be cancelled.
She is not a cop, so won't go 'chassing' after BGs etc.
The revolver is under her armpit, in a belly-band holster ( she has ample figure to conceal it :D ) to save her from the worst ! Just that.
My 0.02 cents.
Anthony.

Lee P. Lapin
02-05-2004, 08:31 PM
She started with a S&W wheelgun, then went to a 1911 Gov Model for IPSC for a few years, a while back. Now she carries a Glock 26 (9mm).

She CAN shoot. She has had excellent training.

She DOES shoot, in practice. She is quite good.

I honestly believe she WILL shoot, if she feels threatened enough. She is careful about keeping the Glock handy whenever it is legal to do so.

I find all that very reassuring, too.

lpl

Passnthru
02-18-2004, 02:55 PM
My wife has and enjoys shooting a Kel Tec P32. An unexpected side benefit is that since she started shooting it, she no longer is afraid to shoot my Kimber in .45. In fact when I first got the Kimber, she was the first to hit the bulls eye with it! 8^( It took me a while to figure out that I was "milking the cow" when firing, so I was really tearing the target up at about 7 o'clock.

dsapp
02-19-2004, 12:00 PM
my wife's closet gun is a S&W model 10 loaded with HydraShoks...

here carry gun is a snubnose .357 LadySmith loaded with 4 HydraShoks and a 110-grain Winchester .357 JHP as the last shot...

but now she wants a small 9mm

Orive 8
02-22-2004, 09:25 AM
My wife has been carrying CCW since 1986. Her first CCW gun was a Nickel S&W .38 Bodyguard. She then went on to carry a 3" Ladysmith .38 special. After that she carried a Colt Officers Model 45 ACP. Her next gun was a Sig 228 in 9mm, then a Sig P230 in .380 ACP.

Her current everyday carry gun is a Kahr P9, 9mm with Ranger SXT 147 gr.

She carries this gun in either a Galco Fanny pack or Galco Belt Slide Holster.

She and I are both instructors and have been to some of the top schools in the country. She told me that she really likes the P9, since her other "range" and "match" gun is the Kahr T9.

Her list of "range" and "match" guns is too long to list here!

Sleuth
02-24-2004, 12:34 PM
A bit different from most of you, my wife has been a State Trooper and a Federal Agent. She shot my issue S&W 6906, and liked it so much she bought one (9mm compact, 12 rnd mags).
She can shoot, will shoot, and has shot! Just yesterday she ran off some feral dogs with 2 rounds from her .44 Mag Saddle Ring Carbine. She decided not to kill them (they were friendly but unwanted). She will if she must, but, like me, we try to avoid killing anything except rattlesnakes.

Neva
02-25-2004, 07:46 PM
I carry a P7 PSP most of the time... Bodyguard .38 special a bit of the time... beside my bed on a wall mount behind the curtain is an 11-87P semi-auto 12 gauge... under our pillows is a Steyr M-40...

My husband doesn't worry about anyone else taking care of me... he knows I'm doing fine...

melissa ann
02-29-2004, 09:07 AM
I shoot a Springfield Loaded 1911 9mm. I love it. I can also shoot my boyfriend's full size 1911 in 45acp just fine.

Since I still live in NJ (should be moving the end of March YAY!) I can't carry, but my boyfriend just bought me a nice new leather holster that has a bit of an FBI cant which allows my 1911 to be concealed pretty well. I also have a belly band if the occassion/dress calls for that vs a holster. I wouldn't use a purse as carry means or even a fanny pack - just wouldn't work for me (I'd set it down or fumble the zipper when I needed it - I like having it ON me). I'm going to learn how to shoot my boyfriend's revolvers too - I think I should be able to shoot any gun I have access to, and be able to shoot it well. I'm not bad with the Mossberg shotgun either - but that's kinda hard to carry concealed. ;)

I shoot IDPA as often as I can (2-3 matches a month, sometimes more), and bullseye once a week. I like IDPA because it gives me something more than static targets to shoot at.

kforbus
03-02-2004, 05:34 PM
My G/F shoots a full size Glock 22 with 165 grain Blackhills JHP's.

LNLML
03-07-2004, 04:35 AM
I carry a Glock 23. Because I lift weights for strength, I'm strong and the recoil has not been as much an issue as finding a gun that will fit my small hands. Since the grip on Glocks can be modified (I know it voids the warranty - but only on the frame and it's worth it to get a gun that fits), that problem was solved. I also appreciate the consistent trigger pull (I did have that modified too to the NY).
Take care.

SouthPaw
03-15-2004, 12:35 PM
I carry a Sig P220 on duty and most of the time a P245 for concealed carry, depending on activity.

Nightstand weapons are a S&W Mod 66 and a Benelli S90. Couch/living room weapon is a Python 2.5". No youngsters at my place :D

I am investigating a Kel-Tec for concealed summer carry.

Geeter
03-18-2004, 09:04 AM
I carry a Sig P220 on duty and most of the time a P245 for concealed carry, depending on activity.

Nightstand weapons are a S&W Mod 66 and a Benelli S90. Couch/living room weapon is a Python 2.5". No youngsters at my place :D

I am investigating a Kel-Tec for concealed summer carry.
My wife has owned and shot several pistols. Her first was a S&W 19 which she loved and took her first CCW training with. Next was her compact Gunsite Service Pistol, used for the 'ladies only' at Gunsite. Then she said she kinda liked my Beretta 92f...I gave it to her. Then a Taurus CIA850. A Browning Buckmark made it into her collection too. She shoots all very well. She shoots SIGs, full size 1911's Hi-Power's and even Kel-tecs very accurately. The only guns she didn't like were the Glocks 21 and 30.
She prefers the S&W 19 for carry.
She has a Coronado bag for it and I'm confident she will protect herself well.
Geeter...with the Heater

Michael Biggs
08-15-2005, 12:53 PM
S&W 3913LS w/Winchester 115 STHPs

keket
08-24-2005, 07:46 AM
Hello
I carry a Keltec P3AT; it's so easy to conceal!

Digger
08-24-2005, 08:56 AM
She owns a Colt Police Positive in .38 Special, but steals my Charter Arms .38 for shopping trips and keeps my Colt 1909 .45 near her pillow.

Sleuth
08-24-2005, 10:26 AM
You do realize that a Colt M1909 is A) worth thousands, and B) not really up to lots of shooting. If the front locking pice should shatter on this near 100 year old .45, she will be eating the slide - not a pretty sight.

Gerald Bailey
08-27-2005, 05:47 AM
What does "milking the cow" mean? Havn't heard that one before.

Gerald