PDA

View Full Version : Sig P229 Extreme love

IANative
05-01-2014, 06:10 AM
Disclaimer: Many pistols come and go in my stable, but my Glocks- especially my TSD Glocks- are non-negotiable. That said...

So, I just picked up a new P229 Extreme (9mm, of course). I really like Sig pistols, they just can't supplant my TSD Glocks as EDC pistols. I wouldn't feel under-gunned if I had to carry a Sig. In fact, if there was no such thing as Glock, my EDC would be a P228/P229. My biggest like is their DA/SA trigger, particularly in the SRT configuration. Previously, I've owned a P226R, P228, P239, P239 SAS G2... and I still have a coupla P290rs's for the XO and me. Whenever I'm without a Sig P-series, I'm wanting one. Really wish I hadn't got rid of the P239 SAS G2, but I digress...

While I haven't shot it yet, I have to say the P229 Extreme is perhaps the best feeling pistol- out of the box- that I've ever picked up. The G10 Extreme grips are the perfect combination of contour and aggressive texture. I find myself wanting to carry it just so I have an excuse to hold it. When I put it in the safe, I miss it. I will shoot it this weekend at The Farm, and I expect nothing but the normal Sig accuracy and wonderful trigger reset of the SRT.

So, have you ever picked up a pistol and fallen in love with it just because of how it felt? Good thing I was a Psych major- I may need counseling.

Gun Mutt
05-01-2014, 06:18 AM
No pics, really? I expect so much more from you.

IANative
05-01-2014, 06:27 AM
No pics, really? I expect so much more from you.

Such a fickle bunch...

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z348/IANative/Weps/P229Extreme_zpsefd40828.jpg (http://s1185.photobucket.com/user/IANative/media/Weps/P229Extreme_zpsefd40828.jpg.html)

JPourciau
05-01-2014, 07:34 AM
My biggest like is their DA/SA trigger, particularly in the SRT configuration.

I generally feel as you do regarding Sig pistols... I will never part with my P220. However, the DA/SA trigger is one of the reasons I stopped carrying mine on a routine basis. If I may ask out of curiosity, why is that your biggest like?

I would like to shoot a pistol with the SRT someday. I think my P220 can be retrofitted, but I'm not sure.

At any rate, very nice pistol! I have always liked the P229.

Bluemonday
05-01-2014, 07:34 AM
So, have you ever picked up a pistol and fallen in love with it just because of how it felt? Good thing I was a Psych major- I may need counseling.

I often regret selling my P228, P239, P220, and two P226's; much more so than the custom 1911's I started with so long ago. Like you, today I run a Glock: model 19 with OST installed Docter III, a custom grip reduction, and Glockworx duty trigger kit.

If you don't mind, can you get me up to speed on SIG these days?

For example, on their site it appears they rebranded the P228 after it's naval M11 designation, upgraded the aluminum slide to the P229 stainless slide, and upped the capacity from 13 to 15 rounds. Meanwhile the P229 has a thinner profile slide(?), a frame light rail mount, still uses 13 round mags, and can be had in upgraded versions with added dehorning and different triggers.

Is this correct? Thoughts?

Except for the P239, all my guns were made in "West Germany". My US made P239 was trouble free. Is this still so with all these models now being manufactured here? Thanks.

Greg Nichols
05-01-2014, 07:36 AM
That's hot bro.. The FDE Scorpion has been screaming my name for a bit.... Hmmm.

Brent Yamamoto
05-01-2014, 07:49 AM
Both the Extremes and the Scorpians are very sexy.

I had a 938 Extreme for a little while. I really liked that gun but decided it just didn't fit into my program. It shot well. The Extreme grips feel excellent.

IANative
05-01-2014, 07:57 AM
I generally feel as you do regarding Sig pistols... I will never part with my P220. However, the DA/SA trigger is one of the reasons I stopped carrying mine on a routine basis. If I may ask out of curiosity, why is that your biggest like?

I would like to shoot a pistol with the SRT someday. I think my P220 can be retrofitted, but I'm not sure.

At any rate, very nice pistol! I have always liked the P229.

Allow me to clarify... I prefer the constant trigger pull of the Glock over that of any DA/SA pistol for EDC. However, of those pistols in the DA/SA configuration, I prefer the Sig SRT over the others. The only advantage I see in the DA/SA over the Glock trigger would be for Mexican carry... which, while not advocated, happens occasionally. As Gabe once commented on an old P239 thread- and I'm paraphrasing- "... it's a great gun to tuck into your waistband if you have to make a quick run to the store or step out to the mailbox."

Yes, you can purchase an SRT kit for your P220. I think you'd love it.

IANative
05-01-2014, 08:03 AM
I often regret selling my P228, P239, P220, and two P226's; much more so than the custom 1911's I started with so long ago. Like you, today I run a Glock: model 19 with OST installed Docter III, a custom grip reduction, and Glockworx duty trigger kit.

If you don't mind, can you get me up to speed on SIG these days?

For example, on their site it appears they rebranded the P228 after it's naval M11 designation, upgraded the aluminum slide to the P229 stainless slide, and upped the capacity from 13 to 15 rounds. Meanwhile the P229 has a thinner profile slide(?), a frame light rail mount, still uses 13 round mags, and can be had in upgraded versions with added dehorning and different triggers.

Is this correct? Thoughts?

Except for the P239, all my guns were made in "West Germany". My US made P239 was trouble free. Is this still so with all these models now being manufactured here? Thanks.

I am by no means a Sig expert, but I believe you're correct on the P228-to-M11A1 transition. I don't know that the 229 slide is any thinner than that of the 228/M11, and some 229 models (like the Extreme) are offered w/ 15-rd mags. I believe the 15-rd mags will work in all new 229/M11 models, but don't quote me on that.

gps man
05-01-2014, 03:56 PM
In the last few months I've started lo love Sigs.
I have a 229 with the E2 grip that fits my hand better and points better than any other pistol I've held.

I love it.

I traded my Glock 21 in on a Sig 220. I love it.

And then there is that West German P226....it is sweet.

There are still lots of Glocks in the safe, but I am loving some Sigs.

Travlin
05-01-2014, 04:57 PM
Nice looking girl you got there.

I have a real love for Sigs, can you actually say you have too many? nah, don't think.

Checked out a 229 and it felt great but for some reason it just didn't make me pull out my wallet.

All this talk about triggers I just don't know about. Go pick up a P226 SAO and see how you like it. I love mine since it holds lots more boolits than my 1911 and is just ohhhh so smooth.:rolleyes1:

IANative
05-01-2014, 05:25 PM
Any single-action lovin' I need is more than satisfied by my Les Baer. I prefer my "black" guns to have what I consider a "combat-carry" trigger: clean, 4-5lb trigger break; short, consistent reset; nice, but not "tuned 1911, 2lb break" nice.

I think I'll pick up another 239 SAS G2, eventually... or maybe the 239 Scorpion. The Scorpion has the SRT and the G10 grips... and, from what I've been told, coyote is the new black.

Sammy
05-01-2014, 06:14 PM
That's a nice looking Sig! All of mine have the SRT and the G10 grips now (well the 228 West German I stole from Lawdog doesn't, but the parts are currently on the way). I know the Glock kind of makes more logical (and probably financial) sense for an EDC pistol, but I just can't bring myself to move away from the Sig platform.

Travlin
05-01-2014, 06:48 PM
Sam I hear ya about not being able to pull away. I might be outside but I certainly don't feel left out by not having a glock for EDC.

Just looked at that scorpion, I think you hit that one man it is sweeeeet. Think I need to see if one wants to come home with me. I bet the 20 round mags will work well in that too

Check out one of the 226SAOs, mine has some trigger work but it is by no means a tuned 1911, but something that if you are a cocked and locked kinda guy I'm sure you'll appreciate.

Sammy
05-01-2014, 07:19 PM
Oh, I don't feel left out really. In fact, in my last class the Sig pistols were the only ones without malfunctions (although they were probably related to crappy ammo) and Glocks were present.

Just, holster selection, rmr stuff, most things are easier to get because Glock is more popular and cheaper.

One of my P226's is a scorpion with the extended barrel. It's amazing until you reholster it appendix after a long string of fire. I'm thinking of getting my 228 cerakoted in a similar color, but it seems kinda wrong because of the old school West German coolness.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Travlin
05-01-2014, 07:30 PM
Oh HELL no lol don't paint over that coolness, I wouldn't be able to forgive myself at some point in the future.

Don't have any of that, but I am always looking.

Hypnotoad
05-02-2014, 05:09 AM
Did someone say Scopion?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/02/uhuny2as.jpg

Greg Nichols
05-02-2014, 09:22 AM
ya .... those things are sooooo sexy

Glock45
05-02-2014, 09:46 AM
The pistol we use at work is a 229 in .40 with a DAK trigger. The gun feels good in the hand, but I'm not a huge fan of the DAK trigger setup. I wish ours looked as cool as you all's with them fancy grips and cool colors! I'll have to try a one with a different trigger someday and see if I like it better.

CanineDozer
05-02-2014, 07:38 PM
Have both Glocks 9mm 3rd Gen and The Sigs P226 also 9mm among other caliburs. Have a variety so we would always have a pistol to match the available calibur of the day. For some reason both me and my husband shoot slightly more accurately with the Sig P226 9mm than the Glock 9mm when aiming at a target. We don't do bad with either though having put thousands of rounds downrange at practice and SI classes. We have had 3.5 pound triggers put in our glocks which makes them nice. Our carry generally is the Glock 9mm 3rd gen. We would highly recommend either at this point. My nephew is a now a glock armorer so we run to him with questions now.

Sammy
05-02-2014, 11:12 PM
The pistol we use at work is a 229 in .40 with a DAK trigger. The gun feels good in the hand, but I'm not a huge fan of the DAK trigger setup. I wish ours looked as cool as you all's with them fancy grips and cool colors! I'll have to try a one with a different trigger someday and see if I like it better.

Yeah, if DAK was the only option, I probably wouldn't own or carry Sigs. It's okay, but not a great for me anyway. You really should try the SRT trigger. Easy to rip off bursts that feel borderline automatic in nature.

Roadfoolsride
05-06-2014, 06:26 PM
Those things feel great. I've been wanting a DA/SA gun for a bit now. I want the Sig for sure.

noonesshowmonkey
05-07-2014, 06:38 AM
Once you run a few hundred one-twos practicing that DA to SA transition, you'll be placing the first shot well and putting the followup shots into the same hole. I really like the progressive tension on the trigger as you approach the sear for the DA shot. Those Sigs just love to shoot. My 229 wishes that I were as accurate as it, but alas, I am the weakest link.

Jaxx
05-23-2014, 06:59 AM
So if you like the sig just just have OST throw you a red dot on there and leave that glock in the safe. Here is my 228.5 elite with the doctor III.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/23/usyby8e3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IANative
05-23-2014, 07:03 AM
So if you like the sig just just have OST throw you a red dot on there and leave that glock in the safe. Here is my 228.5 elite with the doctor III.[/IMG]

I don't believe OST is milling anything but Glocks, these days.

Jaxx
05-23-2014, 07:16 AM
I hope they don't ban me so I will just say that is not an old picture. They are a great company and they are in business to make money. Give them a call and talk nice.

Hypnotoad
05-23-2014, 07:28 AM
So if you like the sig just just have OST throw you a red dot on there and leave that glock in the safe. Here is my 228.5 elite with the doctor III.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/23/usyby8e3.jpg

That is sweet...

IANative
05-23-2014, 07:57 AM
I hope they don't ban me so I will just say that is not an old picture. They are a great company and they are in business to make money. Give them a call and talk nice.

LOL, yes, I'm very familiar with talking nice to the OST phone staff. If I really wanted a Sig milled I would certainly employ that tactic, but I have no desire for an RMR'd Sig. If I have to/choose to carry my P229E, the lack of a RMR won't leave me feeling under-gunned. My 9mm Glocks are RMR'd, and they are my go-to/EDC guns 99% of the time. The other one percent are NPE/discreet carry scenarios. No, the next gun of mine to get milled for an RMR will be my G20sf. :evil:

Manwell
06-09-2014, 03:18 AM
Here's my P226 TACOPS with an OST Doctor III, awesome weapon for me...

morghill
06-09-2014, 03:20 AM
Here's my P226 TACOPS with an OST Doctor III, awesome weapon for me...

Who did the slide milling? I have the same gun and would like to get an RMR for it.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Manwell
06-09-2014, 02:06 PM
I had the slide milled by One Source Tactical (OST) in Prescott. They did a perfect job, but it seems like Gabe decided to stick with machining services primarily for the Glock, but you would need to check on that yourself. It might be a consideration for them if you are getting your RMR at the same time, again you need to make that phone call. Good luck with it! I'm loving mine...

Manwell

shipwreck
06-11-2014, 07:58 PM
Very nice gun! I have an M11A1 on lay-a-way but I came close to choosing that gun too!

noonesshowmonkey
08-05-2014, 06:27 PM
Just cleaned my 229 after 500 rounds downrange. Lots of DA->SA double taps. Lots of tight groupings. Love this damned thing. Runs smooth as a singer sewing machine.

morghill
08-05-2014, 06:34 PM
I ran 80 rounds of steel cased CRAP through my P229 Tacops Sunday. Ran like a dream! Had 500 rounds of Wolf ammo, so 80 through my Sig and 420 rounds through my Glock 26 rmr'ed. Zero issues....

And best of all my new Trijicon did not fail like the Docters before it....

sent via my Flux Capacitor Powered Smartphone

padom
08-05-2014, 08:52 PM
Im a SIG guy and love my P226 and P239. My wife has the SP2022 as a nighstand gun which is a very solid and 100% reliable gun. Dont let the price fool you.

Both my 226 and 229 have been sent to the SIG Custom shop for SRT, Action Enhancement Package, Feed ramp polish and 11 degree barrel re-crown. They have been 100% reliable and extremely accurate. Was making pretty consistent hits on man sized steel at 75yds in SI Terrorist Interdiction Active Shooter class last fall with the 239 9mm.

My 239 is out having the frame cerakoted Socom Blue and slide in Titanium then everything coated with High Gloss ceramic clear. Cant wait to get it back.

Blackthorne45
08-06-2014, 05:45 AM
Im a SIG guy and love my P226 and P239. My wife has the SP2022 as a nighstand gun which is a very solid and 100% reliable gun. Dont let the price fool you.

Both my 226 and 229 have been sent to the SIG Custom shop for SRT, Action Enhancement Package, Feed ramp polish and 11 degree barrel re-crown. They have been 100% reliable and extremely accurate. Was making pretty consistent hits on man sized steel at 75yds in SI Terrorist Interdiction Active Shooter class last fall with the 239 9mm.

My 239 is out having the frame cerakoted Socom Blue and slide in Titanium then everything coated with High Gloss ceramic clear. Cant wait to get it back.

You better throw some pics up when that baby comes in! Also, if you dont mind me asking, what does it cost to send the Sig into the Custom Shop? I would be sending in the same exact pistols.

padom
08-06-2014, 05:49 AM
I will post pictures when I get it back either late this week or next.

All depends on what services you want. You can go to SIG website and click on Custom Shop and see the prices for each service. They also offer a $50 overnight round trip shipping package which I always utilize. SIG puts out deals for custom shop work a few times a year. They were giving AEP and SRT for like half off plus 25% any additional services at Fathers Day. Labor Day will probably be their next deal.

Blackthorne45
08-06-2014, 06:16 AM
Thats awesome, Ill have to do some research and wait for a good deal. Thanks!

TrojanSkyCop1
08-09-2014, 07:18 AM
In fact, if there was no such thing as Glock, my EDC would be a P228/P229. My biggest like is their DA/SA trigger, particularly in the SRT configuration.

I was issued a SIG P229 .40 cal back when I was an ICE Special Agent. Unfortunately, it was the crappy DAK trigger version; didn't care for it one damn bit.

IANative
08-09-2014, 07:37 AM
We talk and hear about "Glock Perfection" all the time. But if there was such a thing as equivalent "Sig Perfection" for EDC, I'd have to say it's the P229 Extreme. Now, I have relatively limited Sig exposure, based on the millions of models they offer- a few different models of P226, P228, P229 and P239 are all I've experienced.

Yes, the P239 SAS is the doodoo, but that's a slightly different application, at least for me.

I haven't tried the P229 SAS or the M11-A1, and I love the look/concept of each of them, but I can't imagine them being "better" than the P229E.

Brightlightman
08-09-2014, 10:33 AM
The M11-A1 is my next handgun. I have a picture of it on my wall, on my pc desktop, and my phone's background. Once I push hard enough and meet some business goals, I will reward myself. I do hear that the double action on on the M11-A1 tends to be heavy (15-17lbs) compared to the 10lb it should be. Any experience with this? I think the G10 scales will be what I put on it and I plan on putting the standard trigger on it too, as the thin one pinches my finger.

Travlin
08-10-2014, 05:16 PM
I haven't tried the P229 SAS or the M11-A1, and I love the look/concept of each of them, but I can't imagine them being "better" than the P229E.

Better? Just different. Little bigger, more boolits.

I found this one and it just felt right. The SRS took a little getting used to but its a nice trigger,I like it. DA is heavy but smooth and the SA is really nice. Not like a pure SA, tuned up but respectable in that comparison. Just need to find/do a couple of things and it should work nicely for EDC.

My mom asked to shoot it the last time we went out and is threatening to buy on now LOL. She said "you have more than one gun, why can't I". I didn't have a good answer to that one, but it did make me smile.