PDA

View Full Version : "No indication terrorist related" What???

billcameron
01-24-2004, 01:41 PM
Interesting article. Security guard at chemical plant questions middle eastern guy taking pictures. Middle eastern guy then shoots guard. Spokesperson says "no indication incident terrorist related". Link below.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,109407,00.html

Ragsbo
01-24-2004, 02:14 PM
No terrorist connection-- Yeah right- tell that to the guy who has a new hole in the shoulder. Just because the shooter is not some big wheel in a named terrorist outfit, does not mean he wasn't up to no good. An amatuer can kill you just as dead as a pro, maybe even do it easier. Just shows that no matter what, you can't let your guard down.

Steve Camp
01-25-2004, 04:06 PM
The injured guard managed to drive to the nearest plant gate, where an off-duty sheriff's deputy working security at the plant called police.

What!? I should think the guard would have had a radio, and could have called in the incident... faster response by other security forces and/or the sheriff's department...

I guess the Dep't of Homeland Security is doing some things better, and other things not so well. On the other hand, maybe the DHS is doing squat, and it is individual Americans (like this guard) or individual company security details that are paying more attention to suspicious people. What is he trying to say, you ask? Well, as a private pilot, I am well aware that I am not to loiter near damns, resevoirs, chemical plants, nuclear plants etc., or I can expect to be visited by the police (either in an armed helicopter, or when I land.) So, some part(s) of the government are at least paying lip service to security.... BUT after all the billions of dollars being spent on homeland security , the very department tasked with securing the American homeland cannot ensure that every guard at a critical infrastructure site (in this case, a chemical plant) has at the very least a radio?

Maybe I'm over the top on this one. Then again, maybe the DHS is much to interested in those things that advance their own agenda / empire etc, and not the "little things."

Comments? Opinions?

michael
01-25-2004, 05:45 PM
Like all government agencies, the DHS is weighted down in red tape and moves slowly, like all agencies. It IS ultimately up to us to protect ourselves. Kind of an expanded version of neighborhood watch. Try as they might, they will never be able to respond to every problem or incident.