PDA

View Full Version : Best value in gun belts?

Travis
01-23-2004, 10:43 PM
Hello!
I have never owned/bought a belt specifically for carrying my pistol. I am now in the market for a new belt and do not know what my options are or more importantly what qualities I should look for in a "gun belt". I need a belt for daily concealed carry and rare open carry in a variety of weather conditions (I live at 7,200 feet in Wyoming.) Money is tight so while I will spend what I need to, I also dont want to pay more than I have to.
Your advice please!

Brass Balls
01-23-2004, 11:30 PM
There are lots of good gun belts on the market but without a doubt the best belt without a big cash outlay is a Wilderness Tactical 5 stich belt for $35 or their stiffer CSM model for $40.

clic pic
http://thewilderness.com/Media/instructor_175bk.gif (http://thewilderness.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/3/products_id/36?osCsid=76623f3e8d5a7c50bd40e8551a67ce8f)

John Silver
01-24-2004, 06:09 AM
I love my 5-stitch Wilderness belt. If you can try one on before you buy, do so. They seem to have a very unique way of sizing, and their waist band numbers don't jive with the rest of the world's.

Blackhawk has a nylon belt simlar to the Wilderness which is getting very good reviews.

If you are looking for leather, try a Dillon. Yes, that Dillon - same one who makes the reloading equipment. No, it's not as nice as the Mitch Rosen I, um, "out grew." But, they are simple, well made, and can be used with the business casual attire so many of us have to wear. I don't carry a gun on it every day, but I used to, and was very happy with it. Price is right, too.

RedDevil
01-24-2004, 07:03 AM
I agree and have always said before. The Wilderness 5-stitch is probably the best gun belt bargain out there. I also bought a Aker leather gun belt from Galls which is holding up very well. It has a plastic liner in it and I think I paid $35 for it.

Travis
01-24-2004, 07:07 AM
Hello!
The Wilderness and the Dillon belts are the 2 main ones I have been considering. I do want to try them on first as I am a bit confused about how sizing works. I am also looking at this belt by Carhartt. It is larger, sturdier and heavier than my current belt, doesn't scream "gun" and is only about $20...

Bodfish
01-24-2004, 02:20 PM
For a super quality belt at a reasonable price, you may want to have a look at Rafter S Gunleather at www.raftersgunleather.com. I think that they also make leather products for Wilson Combat. I have one of their 1 1/2" belts in plain cowhide and am very satisfied with it.

Yamdog
01-25-2004, 07:04 PM
Wilderness gets my vote. They are very reasonably priced and support the gun very well. They hold up very well to sweat and weather as well.

F4GIB
02-01-2004, 09:24 PM
Aker brand polymer lined, double leather 1.5 inch wide belt in black or brown. $30.00. From www.galls.com. Truely as BEST BUY.

Also Uncle Mikes has just brought out a leather, polymer lined "dress" belt in 1.25 inch width. It's great but hard to find.

Loudernhel
02-02-2004, 02:13 AM
Another vote for the Aker leather belt.

Condition Brown
02-02-2004, 11:32 AM
Everyone should have/use a Wilderness Instructor's belt (gun belt). I wear mine all the time with my jeans. It is indestructable.

If you are in need of something more dressy, I'd look at the offerings from Milt Sparks.

I once bought a Fist leather belt. Turn around was good (<2 weeks), but the customer service was poor, and their version of "double" thickness is really a tripple thickness, and doesn't work with all holsters (probably only theirs).

MrMurphy
02-02-2004, 05:44 PM
My first gunbelt was a Wild Bill's Concealment leather belt.

Get an Aker, a Dillon or a Galco. They cost a bit more, but are worth it.

My second gunbelt, which I wear nearly every day, is a black 5-stitch Wilderness Instructor's Belt (not the CSM). It is excellent for IWB carry or OWB carry. I pack a G30, spare mag, Leatherman and a Surefire daily and don't even feel it most of the time. The Instructor belt is one of those can't-live-without-it things you didn't know you needed till you had one. :D

I'm thinking about buying a second one just for the hell of it.

Boricua
02-05-2004, 06:31 PM
Another vote for the Wilderness Belt, have one an I love it. Not to mention that it carries all my stuff without feeling like I am carrying a bunch of stuff.

drcohen
02-26-2004, 11:21 AM
Raine makes a good duty belt, along with a tough BDU belt from Spec-Ops Brand. Bestdefense.com has them.

DocHolliday
02-26-2004, 01:01 PM
Alessi makes outstanding dress belts for concealed carry in either straight 1 1/4" or tapered 1 1/2 - 1 1/4" width.

I have a couple which I've worn almost daily since the late 70's and they're as servicable now as they were the day I bought them.