PDA

View Full Version : Comptech Stinger

RedDevil
01-23-2004, 06:49 AM
I just picked one of these up to possibly add to my everyday carry. Does anyone here own one? How do you carry it? Any special techniques for using it?

michael
01-23-2004, 07:06 AM
I just picked one of these up to possibly add to my everyday carry. Does anyone here own one? How do you carry it? Any special techniques for using it?

I don't have one, but have read about it. You can find a lot of information here: http://www.donrearic.com/stingerchinook.html

Pikal
01-25-2004, 11:29 AM
Love the Combat Technologies Stinger - carried one daily for a couple of years now.

What I did was use some JB weld and added a clip to mine. I popped the plastic clip off a Shomer-Tec/Blackie Collins CIA Letter Opener, stuck the little prong on the back down into the channel on the Stinger's butt-end and used JB Weld to glue it down to the Stinger.
Just about any clip would work though, just use some imagination.
With my keys on it, I carry it clipped to the front of my weak-side pocket, keys hanging down into the pocket - its fast to draw, and is a clean draw-stroke as well.

If you dont feel like adding a clip, what I have always done is just carry it loose in the pocket. Never had a problem getting to it when I needed it like that.

Theres also several makers out there who do Kydex belt and or neck sheaths for the Stingers, http://www.rivercitysheaths.com/stinger_sheaths.htm
One of these can be worn around the neck, or stuck between your belt and waist-band, looped off to your belt with a small loop of paracord, sheath pops free just enough to clear your belt and clothes then the cord pulls taught and the stinger pops free - called a Static Cord.
That might be a slick rig too.

Lots of options.

As for use... you punch with it. You'll break facial bones, crack ribs, loosen teeth, break hand bones, etc. Those familiar with a limb destruction should be able to put a Stinger to great use.
Anywhere you'd slug a guy, or pop him with a push-dagger, you can pop him with the stinger. Its a great tool.

V42
01-25-2004, 11:53 AM
I don't know. I have played with them on my heavy bag and find that I cannot seem to make neary the impact on it that I can with a palm or fist strike.

Pikal
01-25-2004, 12:01 PM
That seems odd to me.
My experiance has always been that it worked with the strength I could already deliver with another emoty hand strike, and just focused that strength down onto a smaller impact surface, transferring energy into a smaller area. Never felt an increased amount of power in my actual strike, but I never felt a decrease either.

I can do a lot of damage with a Stinger to things like boards, and coffee cans, that it would seriously hurt my hand to do without the stinger.
Dont think I could punch my knuckles through the bottom of a coffee can ;)

Thats been the general experiance I've heard from others as well.

Not saying it works for everyone though.

bill clancy
01-25-2004, 10:11 PM
I love mine, I'd hate to get hit with it. I had mine in my back pocket and sat down on it funny...had a bruise on my butt for a week!

Pikal
01-25-2004, 10:23 PM
Friend of mine works for a security company, bought several Stingers and sold a bunch around the office.
One female guard bought one but was skeptical about its powers - cut to later that day, bunch of them standing around talking, this one new guy pops up about how he does MMA and doesnt feel any pain, nothing can hurt him... well, before my friend can yell "nooo!!" or anything like that, this female guard back-fists Mr.I feel No Pain about three quarter power in the center of his chest - drops him like a ton of bricks, holding his chest and trying to suck air, rolling around on the ground whimpering.
And as it turned out later this was a guy with a high pain tolerance.

Stingers rock, totally. :D

Mike Sastre
01-26-2004, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the plug, Morgan!

Comtech Stingers are very effective little innocent looking tools, especially the clear ones. I'll carry mine in a short drop sheath on my key ring or loose in the pocket.You can attach them to your keys with the provided key ring, but they're easier to use without the clutter. Concentrates all the force of the strike to a single point. Another fine little tool is Kelly Worden's Travel Wrench - used to be called the Impact Kerambit, but has been made kinder, gentler, and airplane friendly with the addition of some fully functional hex head holes of different sizes. Available in both inch and metric. Took both tools in carry on to Germany last summer.

RedDevil
01-26-2004, 11:57 PM
Well, I've been carrying my Stinger to work for about 3 days now. I bought the clear one and have a key ring attached with a large zipper pull attached to open some of the finicky cargo plane doors at work. When going through the TSA checkpoint I jsu attach it to the carribiner that holds my other keys and it goes into my pocket after the checkpoint. Anytime I put my hand in my pocket, the Stinger is always in the right position to be grabbed. Just putting some pressure on my chest with it makes me uncomfortable. I can't imaging being hit with one of these. Mike, I've seen the Kerambits. Where are the travel wrenches sold?

Mike Sastre
01-27-2004, 03:33 AM
RedDevil,

I keep some of the Travel Wrenches on hand for sale at Gun/Knife Shows, as well as Kelly's book and DVD. Of course you can always get 'em from Kelly himself, but Blade-Tech and SHOMER-TEC has them also. Vince at Omega Tactical was thinking of stocking them last time I talked with him. You ought to check him out anyway as he gets some pretty good deals happening on bladeware.

V42
02-03-2004, 07:46 PM
Update.

Don't remember when it was that I played with a stinger before, but I got my hands on one again.

Not sure what happened last time, but I am very impressed this time.

I found that I can hit almost as hard with the stinger as I can with a palm heel or fist. I think the back brace thing jams into the base of my thumb. Still, the protruding knub focuses your power into a small point, magnifying the impact. So even if you feel like you are hitting with 70% of the power that you would with a palm heel, the stinger focuses the impact into a small spot giving it bonebreaking power and making it capable of inflicting more damage than a plain palm heel strike.

I was able to use the stinger to hit a brick wall several times without injuring my hand.

One caveat, the back part does jam your hand a bit so I don't think you would want to spend much time practicing striking with it as it could wear on your hands, making them sore, and might even make you start holding back power on your strikes.

Another warning, don't use it to strike a heavy bag unless you have reinforced the spot very heavily with tape you will poke a small hole in the heavy bag.

V42
02-03-2004, 08:08 PM
I am not a gimic/gadget person, but I am very impressed with the stinger.

I generally don't like using a weapon unless it can give me a major advantage. Having a weapon in your hand limits what else you can do with that hand. This isn't an issue if we are talking about a firearm in a situation appropriate for one, or a nightstick or blackjack, if legal and appropriate, but with some lesser makeshift weapons. If I am in an empty hand fight I may use palm heel strikes, tiger claw (palm heel with fingers protruding to strike eyes), edge of hand strikes, chinjabs, or be able to rake the eyes, grab and squeeze the groing or windpipe, or grab and tear and ear, or use a fist or hammerfist--all depending on how the fight goes and what openings present themselves.

If you have a weapon in your hand, it limits your ability to do other things with your hand, and slows your ability to transition to another weapon if necessary. This is why I feel that if you are going use a weapon, it should be worth the flexibiiity it may cost you.

The stinger also has a hole that you can attach a key ring. But I think this gets in the way with getting a good hold on the stinger. I think if you are going to use it as a key chain to give you some plausable deniability for carrying it, you should get a very small key ring and not carry more than one or two keys on it, as too much weight will upset the feel and balance and striking ability of it.