PDA

View Full Version : surefire lowlight course

chopstick1
01-22-2004, 10:52 AM
has anyone been to the surefire lowlight course? it's suppose to be an 8hr course, hands on, cqb type on use of a flashlight w/handgun, rifle, shotgun. any advice on classes in the southeast? thanks

Scout
01-22-2004, 12:20 PM
I took the class 4-5 years ago under Surefire Institute. The new $urefire classes are doled out by some folks of which I know nothing.

The 8 hour Officer Survival in Low Light Conditions is a LE/MIL only class as done by $urefire. There's no long gun segment (handgun only).

The class covers use of flashlight, basic principles of dealing with low light encounters, and about 3-4 hours of FOF training with paintball guns in low light/no light.

It is a good course.

But I would say based on the course description, something like what Gabe is offering (Low Light Gunfighting) would easily surpass the basic $F class.

(I am not affiliated with Suarez International or $urefire or anyone else).

chopstick1
01-23-2004, 08:17 AM
I have also taken the class and FWIW- Andy Stanford offers a great deal of the material to mere civilians who are not as cool or as privileged as the "elite" SF clients in his fight at night class and Andy spends more time on the subject matter.

A student would be well served to avoid any class where the systems or equipment are not restricted to LE/Mil only and the school only allows LE/Mil only.
the instr is scott vandiver? know anything about him? here's a description of the course.

This course is designed to give you the advantage in low light situations.
We will cover ways to use light as a tool and as a weapon.
We’ll cover 8 different ways to shoot with a light and a pistol.
We will shoot with different styles of lights.
We’ll do demos with different types of ammo, guns and lights.
Shotguns and rifles will also be covered.

it also said included is a surfire g2 flashlight, and book "combat tactics"

MACOP
01-23-2004, 12:11 PM
David DiFabio wrote:

"I have also taken the class and FWIW- Andy Stanford offers a great deal of the material to mere civilians who are not as cool or as privileged as the "elite" SF clients in his fight at night class and Andy spends more time on the subject matter.

A student would be well served to avoid any class where the systems or equipment are not restricted to LE/Mil only and the school only allows LE/Mil only."

David, did you mean to write in the second sentence that "student(s) would be well served to avoid any class where the systems or equipment are (remove the word NOT) restricted to LE/Mil only..."

If so, and I believe that is what you meant based upon your first sentence, I agree.

Any citizen of the United States, who has a clean criminal background, should be able to attend any type of firearms class.

Some of the worst shooters/gun handlers I have known have been people I have served with in the military and have worked with in law enforcement. Some of the best shooters I have known have been 'civilian' friends/fellow shooters.

Sorry for the thread hijacking. Just felt the need to insert my 2 cents.
It's good to have a plan.
SteveB

MACOP
01-23-2004, 06:29 PM
David:

Glad to help:)
Semper Fi.
It's good to have a plan.
SteveB