PDA

View Full Version : CZ 97B impressions anyone?

Crucible
01-22-2004, 12:40 AM
My current pistol, a Colt 1991A1 compact, has been a great weapon since I purchased it 10 years ago. Accurate, strong and reliable (even saved my butt once with it's strength), it's a great concealed carry and general defensive handgun.

However, I have some fairly large hands (I guess) and the frame doesn't come close to filling them. In fact, it is about 1 1/2 inches short top to bottom, making shooting less than comfortable even in fairly short sessions.

So....I'm looking at a full size to replace it with (damn the concealed carry torpedoes), and in researching the alternatives, I've seen to have been drawn to the CZ 97B series. It's a large, full size weapon, holding 10+1 (da/sa), and is still in my favored caliber, .45acp. Supposedly quite accurate out of the box, the idea of double action and single action is interesting, and it sure is a nice looking weapon http://www.kitsune.addr.com/Firearms/Auto-Pistols/CZ-97B.htm for an example. Price is attractive ($489 US), and most reports I've seen are more than favorable.

Anyone here have any experience with these? (Yes, I know a full size 1911 is an option and a valid one-I love 1911 pistols too.)

Thanks and regards in advance.

Cruc

dgg9
01-22-2004, 06:50 AM
I like the idea of 10+1 .45ACP in a package that would be ergonomic for me. I have a CZ75BD which works well for me.

I have no first hand experience, but:

1. In the CZ forums I have heard stories that it doesn't feed HPs well.

2. Remember that this is like the CZ75B not BD. It's meant for SA carry. Yes you can carry it hammer down for DA first shot -- but there is no decocker. You have to be willing to use the revolver method of dropping the hammer, with the risk of an AD. That fact alone makes it unacceptable for me.

Chris Ives
01-22-2004, 03:02 PM
Gentlemen,
I have one I traded into several years ago, right after the current CZ-USA began importing firearms. The version I have is a highly polished blue, with front slide serrations to match the rear ones. A similar piece was featured on the cover of the CZ catalog two or so years ago.
Accuracy. Phenominal. One ragged hole-capable with all ammo tried. This pistol uses a threaded bushing and the lock up is obviously good enough.
Ergonomics. Also great, though the girth and weight need to be considered. It is a big piece, though no bigger than a full-sized H&K USP.
Cost. Hard to beat. I think J&G Sales had them in "Shotgun News" for under $500.
Value. Outstanding: forged slide and frame, match accuracy, 10 rounds of .45.
Magazines can be had for under $40 and are proprietary made, I think, by MecGar.
Holsters can be a challenge. Ken Null makes them in horsehide. Blade-Tech makes them in kydex, as does Cen-Dex. There are others but this will take some searching.
Hope this helps.
Regards.

DaveJames
01-22-2004, 09:17 PM
I have one thats been around since the first imports, its a typical CZ, very accurate with the right load and built like a tank, if you have REALY LARGE hands, you'll love it, I carryed it for awhile and didn't find it any harder to conceal then the fullsize 1911.

Crucible
01-23-2004, 04:43 AM
Pretty much what I've read thus far; most everyone seems to like it; I'm glad you do as well.

Dgg-thanks for listing the potential issues. I'm not concerned too much about a decocker as my 1991a1 doesn't have one either, and I've managed. Since my wife's allowed me to polish her wedding ring with my dremel and appropriate compound with success (scary at first!), hopefully I'll be able to polish the feedramp up some to take care of any potential feeding issues if I can get a hold of one.

Thanks for the input folks.

Cruc

Loudernhel
01-23-2004, 06:59 AM
It's good that you learned to use the dremel tool on a wedding ring before moving on to something important like a feed ramp. :)

There is a whole forum devoted to the CZ97 here:

http://pub105.ezboard.com/bczechpistols82792

Boricua
02-05-2004, 06:56 PM
This is my primary carry pistol and boy is it a shooter. Mine is a 98 and has feed everything including HP's. I can't say enough about this pistol so I think I will just shut up before I get started. Get one you will love it.