PDA

View Full Version : IE10 and "long running script" problems...

bae
07-06-2013, 08:38 PM
Warriortalk has of recent become nearly unusable for me.

When it works, there are long pauses upon page load, during which the page is essentially dead, you cannot click on things or scroll.

Often in that state, I get long pauses, and an IE popup complaining about "warriortalk.com not responding due to a long running script" or something similar.

I also seem to be getting a lot of "problem with page caused that tab to be reloaded" messages.

"Don't use IE" isn't the correct answer for me, alas :-(

Any ideas?

Colombianito
07-06-2013, 09:20 PM
I am not technological in the least. However, i switched to Mozilla and all my same exact issues became a non issue. What are you using? Please don't tell me explorer!

SammyIamToday
07-06-2013, 09:27 PM
If sticking with IE, have you cleared temp internet files, cookies, etc?

Most up to date software from windows update? I sometimes see issues with IE at work when updates are installed and a restart is pending as well.

Nick Randall
07-06-2013, 10:48 PM
My problems with WT ended when I switched to Firefox or Chrome. It's really that simple.

sdg3
07-06-2013, 10:52 PM
Yup. Ditch IE and kiss your problems goodbye.

Dorkface
07-06-2013, 10:58 PM
Why am I receiving a "long running script" error message?

"Long running script" error messages are specific to Internet Explorer. These messages are generally intended for developers who are testing and building a website You should be able to get rid of them by disabling certain browser settings:

Open Internet Explorer
Click the 'Tools' menu, and then select 'Internet Options'
Click the 'Advanced' tab, select the 'Disable script debugging (Internet Explorer)' and 'Disable script debugging (Other)' check boxes
Clear the 'Display a notification about every script error' check box, and then click OK

Give this a shot. If it works then Google FTW. :cool:

Echo17
07-07-2013, 06:36 AM
In the IT world we like to say the only purpose of IE is to download Chrome or Firefox :cool:

michael
07-07-2013, 07:01 AM
Ditch IE.

I use Chrome and it flies, but Firefox works well too.

JustMe
07-07-2013, 07:34 AM
on windows, i have to run both ie and firefox, ie for the sites that only will run on ie, firefox (1.0.4) for everything else.

i also use very old versions of ie and firefox. in general, the older version are much better behaved. the newer versions of firefox, the rare times that i run them, often bluescreen. so i think some of the problems are incontrolled bloat (microsoft presumptiousness) :(

hth

techguy90
07-07-2013, 12:20 PM
If you are running Windows 7 or earlier then try downgrading to IE 9, Windows 8 cannot downgrade. There are way to many problems with IE 10, actually IE in general but a number of my clients are either forced to use IE for certain sites or simply don't want to change and downgrading them to IE 9 has fixed a lot of scripting/compatibility issues they were having. While this is not the best solution for security reasons I would say that this and/or doing what member Dorkface suggested will probably fix the problems you are having. I will also add that as others have said switching to Firefox or Chrome would be the best fix.

Web Services
07-08-2013, 08:57 AM
Warriortalk has of recent become nearly unusable for me.

When it works, there are long pauses upon page load, during which the page is essentially dead, you cannot click on things or scroll.

Often in that state, I get long pauses, and an IE popup complaining about "warriortalk.com not responding due to a long running script" or something similar.

I also seem to be getting a lot of "problem with page caused that tab to be reloaded" messages.

"Don't use IE" isn't the correct answer for me, alas :-(

Any ideas?

That's a shame, I hoped IE10 would handle things better than older versions. There were only a couple bugs in IE10 with the quick editor boxes.

Honestly I really don't know what it is with IE and vBulletin. I've gone through multiple updates of the software that appear to not be fixing it for some people.

Even though most people (with issues) have switched to Firefox or Chrome, you might be surprised to learn that Internet Explorer is still the 3rd most popular browser used here, it's still used more than Firefox! So why is it that a 3rd of you use IE just fine but some IE users are dead in the water? I don't know.
It's like some have said, you just have to use the browser that works best for the sites you use. This site is teeming with scripts, scripts run all over the place in modern websites. Unless your errors tell me specifically what scripts are failing, I can't be sure what function or plugin or addon is causing the issue.

If you truly, absolutely, positively cannot use another browser, you might search Google for the error messages and see what you can try. There is nothing particularly "anti" IE on here. I'm sure the programmers of vBulletin create standard valid code according to the rules, so why IE has trouble, no one knows!

Here is some research to start:
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/ie_performance_and_safety/en-us
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/tips-for-solving-problems-with-internet-explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308260
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-should-you-do-about-Internet-Explorer-script-errors

RayMich
07-08-2013, 12:33 PM
I am not technological in the least. However, i switched to Mozilla and all my same exact issues became a non issue. What are you using? Please don't tell me explorer!

I am starting to get the same "long running script" error message with Mozilla Firefox. This is really frustrating.

Web Services
07-08-2013, 02:29 PM
If anybody can track down which script is hanging, that would be nice.

In Firefox, open the Web Developer menu and then the Error Console. Inside the error console, try clicking the "Errors" button and see what shows up there if the error appears again.

In IE, press F12 and then click the "Console" tab in the second row of menus.

After the consoles are open, browse the site or hit refresh or whatever and pay attention to the last errors that appear when it hangs. Note there will almost always be errors of some sort, such as CSS issues, or browser-specific settings that are "errors" on alternate browsers, etc. But if either of these methods shows you an actual script causing errors, that could be useful for me.

Fess Earl
07-10-2013, 10:54 AM
What ever you did worked, it's much better now!

Thanks! :cheers: